New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by Ungas
    On a side note, did you happen to smell the oil and exhaust? Smells like tutti-frutti gum.
    Sir Ungas what do u mean by this? is it a good sign or not?

baka kasi yan gagamitin ko mamaya Caltex Delo Sports 300 pesos per liter daw...i cannot find the petron Petron Rev-X All Terrain here sa pampanga kasi

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how come you guys spend so much on your oil? I just use Delo 500 SAE40 for my LC80. P300-350 lng per gallon. Wala naman diff

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by Jeepcruizerph
    Sir Ungas what do u mean by this? is it a good sign or not?

baka kasi yan gagamitin ko mamaya Caltex Delo Sports 300 pesos per liter daw...i cannot find the petron Petron Rev-X All Terrain here sa pampanga kasi
    No, not a bad sign. NAtuwa lang ako sa amoy nung oil. Kakaiba kasi. Lahat ng oils na naamoy ko either walang amoy o kaya mabantot.

Dami dito malapit sa Petron namin All Terrain *267/liter.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Originally posted by Ungas
    No, not a bad sign. NAtuwa lang ako sa amoy nung oil. Kakaiba kasi. Lahat ng oils na naamoy ko either walang amoy o kaya mabantot.

Dami dito malapit sa Petron namin All Terrain *267/liter.
    ah oks oks tnx tnx a lot Boss Ungas :-)

sayang mas mura pala Petron Rev-X All Terrain

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by xox
    how come you guys spend so much on your oil? I just use Delo 500 SAE40 for my LC80. P300-350 lng per gallon. Wala naman diff
    I can say i dont spend too much on oil as I still used mineral oils and change every 5000km (if i had lotsa extra PPP, i wouldnt mind using synth every 5000km) and buy by the bulk if possible. But i take my time to take into consideration the specs of the oil to be used with what the manufacturer recommends. I usually choose 20W-50 or 15W40 weights and with the highest possible API rating. Oil is very much the lifeline of the engine and i've already seen a lot go bad (sludge, loss of pressure, leaks, etc) because of lack of maintainance and some because of the wrong grade oil used... SAE40 is ok but i prefer the multigrade oils, especially since operating temps varies in our day-to-day drives (i.e. in short distances where the engine hasnt warmed up yet so the 40W isnt in its optimal range yet, or long drive with high speed and revs). Oil type becomes even more relevant when the engines are turbocharged or modified as these usually run higher temperature and are under more stress.

Its really hard to judge the differences in oils used and their effects without deep probing into the engines for the long term effects and by doing an analysis on the oil after its used.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Well said vinj!

In my mind, why scrimp on engine oil after investing a million pesos++ on your suv? The oil is the only protection you have against metal abrasion specially in turbo stressed engines.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Drexx
    I too used Mobil Delvac1 in my HDJ-80 in the USA, but have recently switched to Amsoil there (also a synthetic oil).
    My LC80 has 139k mi. on the clock OK pa ba ang synthetic sa ganun mileage? Right now i'm using mineral base 10W40 instead of 5W30 listed on the oil filler cap. Thx :confused:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    got ur points, was just wondering if multigrades really make a diff in our country bec. the W stands for winter right, our temp here even during night is far from winter temp, just wondering if it really does make a diff

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With 139K on your odo... try to use one with a thicker viscousity (i.e. 15W-40 or 20W-50) since your gaskets may not be as good as before. Thus, thinner oil may leak through more likely.

Xox, on the difference of the effects of using multigrade vs. monograde oils in our country, i have not seen any independent tests nor have personally tried since i never used mono before. From what i always think, its the trucks/commercial vehicles with a more narrow RPM band that use monograde usually since their engine operation speeds are more or less constant.

The W does pertain to "winter" and in our case, its also known as the cold engine operation viscousity/effectiveness. Thus, this comes into play when the engines are newly started and not yet up to operating temp (i.e. on short stop-and-go drives) and as we know, most wear and tear to the engine also occurs during start-ups and when its running cold. Thats also why some cars tha trun synth oil with lower viscousities experience less start-up clatter as well.

My .002 CMIIW
    Last edited by vinj; March 11th, 2004 at 09:45 AM.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Another oil for Toyota's 1HD-T engine:
    An oil analysis done on the delvac1 after 5k km showed higher viscosity- over the 125% max- think this is due to soot build up. Even a synth oil can't handle so much soot from poor quality fuel. Think it would be better to change more often, as in every 5k km.

I've switched from Delvac 1 to Conoco's PowerD 15w40. Price aside, the Power D carries an API CI4 plus/ SL, DHD-1, JASO DH-1, ACEA E3/E5 rating. Plan to test the oil after 3-4k km.

Anyone interested in buying my delvac 1?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Engine Oil for LC80