New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Hello guys I am just wondering why the oil level in my van, a liteace with a 2ct engine is just below the "L" marker. There is no visible leak.

We have just changed oil about a month ago. And used about 5 cans of Top-1 motor oil.

Any suggestions why my oil level became this low?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Does it blow whitish or bluish smoke? If there are no leaks visible on the outside, then your engine is drinking oil.

The proper way to measure oil is first thing in the morning before you start the vehicle, when all the oil is settled in the pan. If the engine is running, the oil will naturally read low because it's circulating.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Does it blow whitish or bluish smoke? If there are no leaks visible on the outside, then your engine is drinking oil.

The proper way to measure oil is first thing in the morning before you start the vehicle, when all the oil is settled in the pan. If the engine is running, the oil will naturally read low because it's circulating.

Thanks for the reply Sir. Actually the engine is not running when I tried to measure the oil level. As for the smoke, yes there is a bluish smoke coming out from the pipes.

If my van is "drinking" oil, what should I do? Does it mean my van needs to be calibrated?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    your engine is drinking oil nga.

how about your previous oil change? before your Top 1 oil? still the same bad oil consumption?

the problem with this better priced syn oil is that it has no ratings labeled.

and also when does this smoke comes out?

after stoping from a long run?

or while accelerating?
    Last edited by rion; July 24th, 2007 at 03:45 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rion View Post
    your engine is drinking oil nga.

how about your previous oil change? before your Top 1 oil? still the same bad oil consumption?

the problem with this better priced syn oil is that it has no ratings labeled.

and also when does this smoke comes out?

after stoping from a long run?

or while accelerating?
    If my memory serves me right, the oil level is just fine before we changed the engine oil.

The bluish smoke appears when I press the accelerator when the engine is idle or running.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Better change oils first and then see what happens.

The problem with some old engines is that some of the seals can swell when you use mineral oil. If you switch to synthetic, those seals shrink back, leading to the oil consumption you're seeing.

But if it's just right below the "L" marker after one month, (how many kilometers is that?) then your consumption isn't very excessive, I think...

I think it's best if you change back to mineral oil or a thicker synthetic for the meantime. Get something like Shell Helix 15w40, to be sure, or 20w50, then observe. If the smoke goes away after a while, all's well and good. If it keeps smoking and drinking oil, you might want to look at an overhaul.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    yep, better change it to Shell Helix. the 15w40 costs 187.00 per liter/ 748.00 per 4 liters.

that Top 1 oil costs 250 per liter right? I see them on racing car display on malls. nakaka enganyo peru walang ratings nga...

btw, hows your panel board? any warning orange or red lights? below L marker should have given you the oil light already...

if it will come to overhaul, look for alwayz_yummy. expert siya sa liteaces. a surplus 2ct btw is more or less 18k.
    Last edited by rion; July 24th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    ^^^ AFAIK, a low oil level will not result in a warning light.

Generally, the oil warning light pertains to lack of oil pressure. Umiilaw lang yun pag may tama yung oil pump. I've had several cases na of low oil levels in both my Sentra and Accord, but the idiot light never lit in my dash.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Wait wait wait.

Ilan ba talaga ang engine oil capacity nito? Baka mamya kulang lang talaga yung nilagay nung gumawa sa van namin???

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    it will light up for toyo liteaces. orange lamp for low level. red for low pressure. most likely, low level oil lamp lights up when reving high when oil mark is below half.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Engine Oil