New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    cylinder head gasket and head refacing if you start to lose water and/or oil. If cast iron ang head then matibay tibay yan but kung aluminum alloy like that of the 4d56 its possible na nagwarp. But the best thing to do is observe engine fluid levels especially the overflow container for oil, exhaust fumes or boiling noises.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    naku sir volts, wala ako alam sa engine code ng mga diesel...

in layman's term, my moms starex is ok... tama po ba?
    it ought to be... hindi na naman nag-recur right?

weird thing abt diesels... not enough heat, masisira, too much heat, masisira. i used to own a pajero turbo diesel intercooler (tdic) with a 4d56 engine visually similar to the one in your mom's starex. and a single major overheat in those mitsu engines = very bad news. i think dun galing yung mechanic's rule na once mag overheat ang kahit anong makina antimano general overhaul agad. that's how fragile those damn engines are. bad piston rings from the get go pa daw, so madaling mag blowby. i hope hyundai has corrected these design flaws kasi maganda on paper and theory yung design ng 4d56. makes decent power too.

if you start smelling the awful tang of oil and metal in your coolant... cracked cylinder head. ditto if it suddenly turns oily. if the head warped it'll be a nightmare until you replace it.

check your oil too. if it turns into any color other than black or its orig color... coolant contamination into oil = warped/cracked head. water and oil don't mix, so oil usually turns into a milky brown color once coolant enters it.

BUT, don't worry too much. i'm sure your diesel's ok.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    * 4JGtootsie -- the boiling noises suspect a damaged head?
    ok ill look out for those signs na sinai niyo. sana lang wala talaga... o ya, yung refill kami ng water sa gas station, theres the boiling noise at first tapos nawala naman after mapuno na ng water. is that also a sign?

* volts -- sabi ng sister ko 1 week na daw na laging walang aircon, so suspetsa ko since that time, overheat na hindi lang nila pansin.
    yung nasa laguna po kami, the engine smelled burned metal and parang hindi normal... that was the day before i was the one who drove and noticed the overheat.

sige po, ill check the oil once in a while if it turns to another color...

sana nga po walang prob na lumabas, kasi laging driver lang mom ko kung metro manila and i dont live with her kaya every other week ko lang nakikita yung van.

sana talaga, walang naging sira yung engine niya :pope:

thanks po sa mga reply.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    That boiling noise is actually real boiling water/steam because of the overheating. The boiling sound that i am saying is exhaust/compression gasses escaping from the head gasket into the water gallery. Overheating engines usually experience head gasket failure which sometimes also lead to premature rapid increase in temperature and/or premature loss of coolant(water).
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; April 29th, 2008 at 09:26 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ahh ok, kala ko naman yung sa pagrefill pa lang meron na kagad damage yung car namin... hehehe

thanks sir, will take note of the signs and observe the van when i can.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Effects of engine overheat:
    1. No effect if engine temp was not too high, and if engine was not operated for an extended time in overheat condition
    2. Damaged cylinder head gasket
    3. Warped or cracked cylinder head
    4. Scored pistons and sleeves.
    Damage depends on the actual temperature, the presence or absence of coolant in your engine, and the extent of time the engine was used in oveheated condition.
    Last edited by Dieseldude; April 30th, 2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: edit text

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    smell the oil. in bad cases of overheating the oil will smell very burnt. if ganun na replace it coz it will loose its lubricating properties.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi guys just wanna share. my 02 crosswind overheats last sunday. natuyuan po ako ng tubig! got a major crack in the lower part of the radiator!. what happend is that nasa gas station kami at naka idle with aircon kasi kumakain kami with my wife and baby. tapos i noticed ang hina ng idle parang mamatay ang makina so i turn off the engine and when i open the hood ayon overheat. steam coming out in the dipstick tuyong tuyo ang radiator at reservoir ko! bad thing is that i noticed this mga 20 mins ago and i ddnt care i just turn the idle shift knob a little bit higher and drove a couple of kilometers. i really dont know what wil happen to my crosswind. then i followed all the procedures in dealing with overheating engines. then the next day i flushed the radiator and repair the damn thing. sa awa ng diyos ok pa naman yong sasakyan hinahataw ko talaga so far normal temp pa naman at still under observation pero 2 things thats unusual is that when i turned the engine on, it will take like only more or less 8 mins for the temp of the engine to go normal (center yong needle) kasi dati it will take more more time than that! and also yon radiator ay may awful smell d ko alam kung ano yon basta not pleasant . i need help on the 2 unusual things. d ko alam baka cracked cylinder head ba o major prob na

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Cylinder head usually warp ang block ang nag kakacrack. Matibay ang engine na yan. Kung wala pang katok ang engine and walang oil or water leak around the block and head then it survived your torture. Observe the cylinder gasket area kasi isa yan weak link especially kung nag warp ang head. Baka yung awful smell is baked coolant additive. Doon sa dipstick, are you sure steam ang lumabas? How is your oil? Milky color?

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Cylinder head usually warp ang block ang nag kakacrack. Matibay ang engine na yan. Kung wala pang katok ang engine and walang oil or water leak around the block and head then it survived your torture. Observe the cylinder gasket area kasi isa yan weak link especially kung nag warp ang head. Baka yung awful smell is baked coolant additive. Doon sa dipstick, are you sure steam ang lumabas? How is your oil? Milky color?
    the mechanic checked the engine and told me that the engine is fine. walang katok. sa awa ng diyos smooth pa din ang makina ko hehe. hinahataw ko pa din for the past 5 days and all is normal and nothing unusual.checked the dipstick and oil color is normal (black hehe). no unusual behavior of the engine so far.the mechanic told me that "yang engine mo ang pinakamatibay na diesel engine dito satin at di basta basta bibigay yang mga isuzu" kya from now on im very cautious in checking the water and radiator . first time ko kasi yon nangyari sa buong buhay ko hehe. buti nalang isuzu yong sasakyan ko at nabigyan pa ako ng 2nd chance. hehe now i believe this brand is tough!

and oh yeah steam talaga ang lumbas sa dipstick. shock ako kala ko puputok na ung makina

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
diesel overheat, ano epekto sa makina?