New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi fellow tsikoteers,

preventive measure question lang po...

my moms starex (2001 ata yung year) nagoverheat sat and sun. the first time, my sister was driving it papuntang laguna pansol... hindi niya napansin na overheat na coz she really do not care hehehe. so nakarating kami sa destination namin. then engine smells burned and i was so tired that day and decided to check it out the next day.

on our way home, i was the one who drove home... nakalimutan ko check water level and oil bago umalis. then we caught traffic and felt the engine was a little off, then check the gauge... yun na nga, its overheating again.

stopped at a gas station to check water, then wala na laman talaga... while doing the refill i did what i think is right for gas engines. i kept on running the engine while filling it up.

the question is, may madadamay ba sa engine kung ganto nangyari? what are the possible damages that may arise from that?

i really know nothing when it comes to diesel engines.

maramimg salamat po sa mga magreply...

2. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Standard for gasoline is check the cause of the overheat first such as hoses water pump radiator leaks defective radiator cap sometimes is the cause, thermostat and aux fan. then check the oil, spark plugs, cracked cylnder head pistons and belts maybe checked due to intese heat it may show some wear. Usually modern cars have a safety feature that the engine will not continue to run if ever it reached a certain level ng temp kasi sa ibang cars when you look at the guage there is an allowance to the cars limit some guages go over the top when it is overheating really bad such as H mark or red line.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    sir tama po kayo, got it to a mechanic kanina lang then water pump nga yung bumigay. then sabi ko na din, change all fluids para PMS na din. also yung timing belt and fan belts na.

pero sa diesel po ba ano mainly tatamaan sa overheat? sa gas engine po, i know na pistons will definitely have damages na.

hindi naman po umabot sa red area ng temp yung needle, pero sobrang lapit na, buti na lang may malapit na gas station para maglagay ng water kagad.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Obserbahan mo lang muna, normal lang yan nangyayari pag nag fail na ang water pump,
    sana nga hindi umabot sagad sagad overheat. Everybody experiences that when it is
    time to replace any components in the cooling system.There is no way you can
    do preventive maintenance on your water pump, you really wait for that to fail. And dont use just water for coolant, use a proper radiator coolant, huwag ka manghinayang bumili ng coolant, I think it is the only preventive maintenace you can do for your cooling system.

Diesel engines are quite tough, I've a number of overheating experiences as well caused
    by water pump failures, and a number caused by my little cousins who will take and keep radiator caps for toys, so far no damage. After a number of overheating, you will love your diesel engine.
    Last edited by mark_t; April 28th, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ganon po ba? salamat sir mark t... this is the first time that the water pump failed sa diesel and wala talga ko alam sa mga diesel engines, sige po observe muna engine.

thats good to know, that your engine has not experienced any failures after a number of overheatings.

thanks so much sir!

6. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if there was any damage done to the engine it happened during the overheat and not when you were filling with water. check kung nagbabawas parin sya tubig or if naghahalo water and oil. if so you will have to open up the engine to fix it.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Since di ka umabot sa redline hindi naman siguro na damage ung engine mo maybe the belts may have shorter service life due to high heat stress and engine oil rin may be degraded of it's quality. Good moove yan change fluids para isahan na kasi you never know what execssive heat can do to the system. Ang pagka alam ko rin is diesel mas matibay sa gasoline. Ung Corona namin twice nag overheat dahil ung driver di marunong kaiinis water pump ang sira pero ngaun ok naman wala problema.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ahh ok so unless theres no unusual behavior ng engine it would be fine... sir speedy nabawasan ng konte yung oil niya. would you recommend na change il na or dagdagan lang yung nabawas? kasi kakachange oil lang recently. mga 2k palang milage.

sir cobalt, crossing fingers nga kami while observing the engine. sana walang maging prob na yung car.

maraming salamat po pips for the replies.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    badly overheating a 4d56 engine almost always results in cylinder head warpage. a vicious cycle then begins: warped head = overheat.

but your starex's engine, while looking a lot like a 4d56TDIC, could quite possibly have better internal design, so i guess your engine's ok.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    naku sir volts, wala ako alam sa engine code ng mga diesel...

in layman's term, my moms starex is ok... tama po ba?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
diesel overheat, ano epekto sa makina?