New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Hi,

I quite new to the world of diesels and I got a few questions in mind:

1 - Is there a non-electronic turbo diesel engine?
    2 - If the alternator and battery is disconnected after the diesel engine has warmed up, will it still continue to run?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Is there a non-electronic turbo diesel engine?

Yes, more than there is electronic turbo diesels.

If the alternator and battery is disconnected after the diesel engine has warmed up, will it still continue to run?

Electronically controlled diesel have ECU, sensors and actuators that depend on electricity, these componenets is vital to the operation of the engine.

But I heard of instances/emergencies that an electronic controlled diesel engine cannot be shut off even if these batteries where disconnected.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    thanks,

as for the first question, its good to here that there are non-electronic turbo diesels. can you name any engines that are locally available?

as for my second question, i was only referring to non-electronic diesels.

now to re-phrase my question,

if the alternator and battery is disconnected after a non-electronic diesel (turbo or non-turbo) engine has warmed up, will it still continue to run and make the vehicle move w/o any electrical/electronic parts turned on?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Most locally sold diesel before 2000 where non electronic. You have 2L of Toyota 4d56 of the Mits the 4ja1 of isuzu are the more popular.

Non electronic diesel still needs its fuel solenoid valve energized. If not fuel will not pass through.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    is that solenoid valve similar to the fuel cut off valve in a carburetor for gas?

in any case, any idea how much those non-electronic turbo engines cost (surplus) plus a 4wd tranny?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    similar in function.
    It will depend on the displacement and the chassis where you put it.
    Old school non electronic diesels are reliable and easier to repair and diagnose but less powerful and efficient. If you plan a Japan surplus engine be sure the engine was sold locally so you can source parts.

Diesel engine questions