New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    The threadstarter did not indicate whether it was a cold or warm start, but yes, Tootsie you're right about warming it up first.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    If it is not yet drinking oil (<1liter/3,500km is normal) then it is not yet critical. I have known of engines consuming oil at the rate of 1-liter per week and still work ok. Diesel engines are sturdy and even at your condition it will still run a long time. If it is not belching thick smoke, overheating, losing power, etc, then you can wait until you fail the next smog test. I had a Gemini(diesel) before and we only overhauled it at 200,000km mark. It ran fine even before the overhaul - maingay nga lang (parang sobrang lakas na typewriter). And mausok lalo na kapag accelerating furiously - pero baka naman dahil sa worn fuel injection.

Mechanics will naturally tell you to do an overhaul since that is how they make their living. Magkano na ba ang labor ngayon - P5T (or more) for a few days of overhaul work.

Bottom line, you can wait, plan and save-up on the overhaul. In the meantime, you can have the valve clearance adjusted, check the timing, and maybe use oil additives. And continue monitoring your oil - check it every morning.

Or to have peace of mind, do a compression test. It may just be worn valves or guides.

How many kilometers have your car done?

3. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by calcite View Post
    If it is not yet drinking oil (<1liter/3,500km is normal) then it is not yet critical. I have known of engines consuming oil at the rate of 1-liter per week and still work ok. Diesel engines are sturdy and even at your condition it will still run a long time. If it is not belching thick smoke, overheating, losing power, etc, then you can wait until you fail the next smog test. I had a Gemini(diesel) before and we only overhauled it at 200,000km mark. It ran fine even before the overhaul - maingay nga lang (parang sobrang lakas na typewriter). And mausok lalo na kapag accelerating furiously - pero baka naman dahil sa worn fuel injection.

Mechanics will naturally tell you to do an overhaul since that is how they make their living. Magkano na ba ang labor ngayon - P5T (or more) for a few days of overhaul work.

Bottom line, you can wait, plan and save-up on the overhaul. In the meantime, you can have the valve clearance adjusted, check the timing, and maybe use oil additives. And continue monitoring your oil - check it every morning.

Or to have peace of mind, do a compression test. It may just be worn valves or guides.

How many kilometers have your car done?
    Sa totoo lang po it runs fine... no black smoke... Only white smoke... No trace of oil sa Radiator... No overheat or water loss... Maganda pa po ang hatak... My AUV has 113t KM on it... I'll monitor oil loss and have my valve clearance to Manufacture specs... Thanks... any more comment or suggestions? Really would appreciate it... TIA
    Last edited by 1997; November 15th, 2007 at 04:26 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    113t km is nothing for a diesel engine - specially Isuzu diesels. For comparisons I bought a 2nd hand L200 pickup with slight smoke coming out of the dipstick. I used it for 5 more years and it ran fine. Just had to re-calibrate the injection pump to lessen the smoke emissions and pass the smog test.

Just monitor your oil consumption and the smoke emissions. And watch out for the smog police on Edsa - but that is true for all diesel engines in metro manila.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    Sa totoo lang po it runs fine... no black smoke... Only white smoke... No trace of oil sa Radiator... No overheat or water loss... Maganda pa po ang hatak... My AUV has 113t KM on it... I'll monitor oil loss and have my valve clearance to Manufacture specs... Thanks... any more comment or suggestions? Really would appreciate it... TIA
    Same yan sa isuzu pickup ko, meron white smoke kung buksan mo oil cap at dip stick. Specially mangyayari kung cold ang engine. Sabi ng senior mechanic ng Isuzu na kilala ko. Normal yan. As long as walang masyadong talsik ng oil (bigger ng pentel pen size at di nagbabawas nang oil, di yan kelangang i-overhaul. Nira-racket ka lang ng mga mekanikong pinagtanungan mo.

Pa-adjust mo muna valve clearance.

6. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
    Same yan sa isuzu pickup ko, meron white smoke kung buksan mo oil cap at dip stick. Specially mangyayari kung cold ang engine. Sabi ng senior mechanic ng Isuzu na kilala ko. Normal yan. As long as walang masyadong talsik ng oil (bigger ng pentel pen size at di nagbabawas nang oil, di yan kelangang i-overhaul. Nira-racket ka lang ng mga mekanikong pinagtanungan mo.

Pa-adjust mo muna valve clearance.
    Salamat bro... La naman tumatalsik na oil... tataka lang ako overhaul na rin suggestion nila... Cguro pa adjuct muna ako valve clearance then pa compression test ko na rin.

Tatakot lang ako kasi madalas sakay ko GF ko and nakakahiya masiraan... hehehe...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if it runs fine then don't touch it nalang imo. leave it alone till you really need to have the engine opened.

8. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    if it runs fine then don't touch it nalang imo. leave it alone till you really need to have the engine opened.
    It runs fine... but the only thing that anoy me is that tick tick sound... parang metal to metal scratching... I really need a good Diesel mechanic that Knows isuzu engine... Anyone? thanks...
    Last edited by 1997; November 18th, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    It's probably the right time to get a valve adjustment done like I said earlier. The valves might be too tight na.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    It's probably the right time to get a valve adjustment done like I said earlier. The valves might be too tight na.
    Tama po ba na valve adjustment must be done when the engine is cold?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Diesel Engine help(smoke on oil filler cap)