New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hi guys. I have not driven my lancer 91 efi for 3 days now. Whenever the engine is running idle or driving, the rpm just fluctuates nonstop like crazy ranging from 1800-2200 rpm. I suspect it to be the idle control motor (servo motor). Whenever i turn the ignition key (engine still off) i can here a mild whirring or grinding sound coming from the servo motor that does not stop. Car's drivability is crazy. also check engine light is on. How can i pinpoint that this is the cause? Any diagnostic test i can do to verify this? Motor seems to receive current, because whirring noise disappears when wiring is disconnected from it. If the motor is the problem, can it be repaired? Iead from the forum that a brand new servo motor is not cheap. Please help!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    It could just be a dirty idle air control valve (IACV), air cleaner element, or MAP sensor. It could also be a malfunctioning oxygen (O2) sensor. Have your car OBD scanned to pinpoint the problem.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    PM me sir Ts

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    same problem tayo, tumataas ang rpm, ano kaya ang sira?

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    right, pa scan mo muna yung cause ng MIL (check engine light) maaring ito ang problema mo. the iac maybe doing its job para hindi mamatay ang engine mo. visually check vacuum hoses, pcv, etc.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I had the idle control assembly replaced last Saturday. Now, the check engine light is gone. Idle is stable but seems to settle at around 1000 rpm. It should be around 650-850 rpm with this model. I tried to adjust the idle screw to 800 but it always seem to settle at 1000 rpm after a while. Also, the engine seems to be a little sluggish than usual, like a bad timing. Should the timing be adjusted when servo is replaced?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    timing is not affected by changing the idle control assembly.
    idle rpm can be adjusted by the idle bypass screw, which normally is covered
    by a plastic plug. This is not normally adjusted. The bypass shoiuld be adjusted
    while the AC compressor is engaged to set the idle when the AC compressor
    engages.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    I heard my mechanic once telling a car he fixed with the same conditions, he replaced the tension wires and servo motor..

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Apparently, when idle assembly is replaced or idle speed adjusted, the throttle position sensor should also be adjusted. I had my TPS adjusted to correct specs and presto! car is now running fine.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    sir saan ka nag pagawa?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
defective idle (servo) motor?