New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Can you guys give me advice..

Some 3,500 kms after an oil change, the oil on my 3.2 strada is quite dark brown already. But the oil of our diesel innova with a similar mileage after an oil change is still light to medium brown. Both use the same oil (15W-40 Castrol GTX Turbo Diesel)

Is this a cause for concern?

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The oil getting dark on a diesel is normal, heck after driving it home from a fresh oil change in the casa it could already be black. What I'd like to know is how long the oil should stay in the engine (actual kms driven vs actual running time). Does anyone know if Caterpillar still does EOA's?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    The oil getting dark on a diesel is normal, heck after driving it home from a fresh oil change in the casa it could already be black. What I'd like to know is how long the oil should stay in the engine (actual kms driven vs actual running time). Does anyone know if Caterpillar still does EOA's?

+1 Pag uwi ko galing PMS ng montero pag check ko dark na ulit yung oil parang hindi bagong change oil

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Oil getting dark is normal as this means it is absorbing the dirt of your engine. IMO, its even more of a cause for concern if it doesn't get dark as you'll wonder where the dirt goes. the rate at which it changes color will also differ between engines/brands.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    * TS: Try mo sir yung Shell HX7 Diesel next time. Mine has 1,000kms on it and not yet dark colored compared to using multi-grade oils. Just a suggestion. Mas malaki rin kasi at mas malakas engine ng 3.2 TDic CRDi vs 2.5 Turbo CRDi kaya malamang mas maraming soot and carbon deposits IMO.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    You might want to try a quality oil filter like Baldwin or Fleetguard that have much better filtration and higher dirt holding capcity over OEM. I would also add a oil catch can.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by dvldoc View Post
    You might want to try a quality oil filter like Baldwin or Fleetguard that have much better filtration and higher dirt holding capcity over OEM. I would also add a oil catch can.
    Sir, where available Fleetguard or Baldwin oil filters?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhandros View Post
    Thanks for the responses.

Sir, where available Fleetguard or Baldwin oil filters?
    This thread pretty much has it covered. I don't know your OEM number so I can't tell you what filter it is. But if you get it then I can tell you.

http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...=79219&page=13
    Last edited by dvldoc; May 5th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mas magtaka ka kung hinde umiitim yun oil, it means it's not doing it's job.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhandros View Post
    Can you guys give me advice..

Some 3,500 kms after an oil change, the oil on my 3.2 strada is quite dark brown already. But the oil of our diesel innova with a similar mileage after an oil change is still light to medium brown. Both use the same oil (15W-40 Castrol GTX Turbo Diesel)

Is this a cause for concern?
    Actually, I'd be more concerned about the diesel Innova here.... Engine oil getting dark in a diesel engine means that it is doing its job of floating the deposits in your engine.....

Any comment from the diesel Innova owners?

13.0K:funa:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Dark engine oil