New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    heres a nifty link for those people who don't know how the diesel engine works.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/diesel.htm

heres another link for the gasoline engine.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, i already read the info there before, but i still can't imagine how air can be compressed to such an extent that it can ignite diesel fuel even without a spark plug. yung glow plugs naman, pang pre-heat lang diba, hindi sya ginagamit sa actual combustion ng fuel? can anyone please explain this feature of diesel engines in greater detail, pls, pls pls.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the higher air is compressed, the hotter it gets.
    Signature

4. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    when the air becomes compressed it becomes very hot, fuel oil is then sprayed into the cylinder where it ignites spontaneously on meeting the hot air.

yan lang po ang alam ko e... hope it helps. :wink:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    banging of atoms siguro ang effect... the more you compress, the more they bang up at each other generating heat/energy.. hence the explosion.. then again.. what do i know about molecules.. tinulugan ko ata chem class ko eh. eheheh

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PV=nRT

eto alam kong relation ng P-pressure, V-volume, T-temperature

so the higer the pressure, the higher will be the temperature, thus igniting the diesel fuel.

ps: correct me if i'm wrong

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    di ko pa rin masyadong maintindihan yung diesel engine. i need someone who can explain it to me.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tebats
    PV=nRT

eto alam kong relation ng P-pressure, V-volume, T-temperature

so the higer the pressure, the higher will be the temperature, thus igniting the diesel fuel.

ps: correct me if i'm wrong
    hanef, kemistri 101 na yan a! :lol: yan ang tinatawag na ideal gas equation.

samahan nyo na kaya ng discussion ng thermodynamics para mas malinaw :lol: :lol:

tama lahat explanation, pero ang gustong explanation yung kay HBOY. the more you compress, the more the atoms "bang" each other :mrgreen: kaya sila nag-iinit errrrr.. they generate more heat :P

malinaw na ba? :wink:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by gestapo
    di ko pa rin masyadong maintindihan yung diesel engine. i need someone who can explain it to me.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    di ba ang mga substances meron sila kani-kanilang burning point (temperature at which they will start to burn). so sa loob ng cylinders ng isang diesel engine, unang pumapasok ang air (1st stroke), then the air will be compressed upto the burning point of the diesel fuel (2nd stroke), at which point the diesel fuel is injected and ignited/burned by the high temperature air causing the piston to go down (3rd stroke). the 4th stroke simply ejects the ignited air-fuel mixture (the smoke).

you will also notice that the compression ratio of diesel engines are much higher than gasoline engines. gas engines don't need very hot air to burn the gasoline, they have spark plugs that will do the igniting. the air is just needed for the gasoline to burn.
    Signature

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when you say higher?.. the lower the figure the higher the comp?.. naguguluhan ako eh.. lets say.. 8:1 vs 12:1.. by looking at the figure 8:1 compression is lower unless meron na naman nagbabaligtad nito... wherein some cases the higher the number.. the lower the significance... ewan!...

sir rsnald,
    ah eh.. oo.. nagiinit nga!..mwhaa....ibang banging naman yan!.. ehehe..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
how diesel engines work