New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    sirkosero: The throttle body is made of metal, carb cleaner will not damage it, ang issue, as posted by Trials, are the sensors, rubber and small holes that you should avoid spraying.
    thanks for the clarification. yun pala yun.... akala ko talaga hindi pwede ang carb cleaner eh...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sirkosero
    thanks for the clarification. yun pala yun.... akala ko talaga hindi pwede ang carb cleaner eh...
    ako din e. pero no choice ako, kasi lately rough idling na naman yung 1.5LXi ko. after spraying the carb cleaner to the throttle body, medyo umayos naman sya.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan
    Hi Trials!

THANK YOU very much for the very detailed explanantion...I wish I had the courage to do this myself but since I am afraid my wife will kill me if i mess it up...I now have to find a shop that can do this. At least now when they work on it, I can give some "advice" on how to do it...

Oh ya, btw, this is what is WEIRD, the engine dies mostly when i am MAKING A TURN or a U-TURN!!!! but it starts naman again when i re start it....

Weird huh???

Also, I took it to SPEEDY FIX, unfortunately since the engine was running fine, they could only recommend to replace the fuel pump....they could not give me a sure solution since the engine was not dying while i was at the shop .. ...all of a sudden my engine was behaving nicely..LOL. They said they could try cleaning it for P1,350 but could not guarantee it would solve the problem since it was really running smoothly with no rough or low idling......

anyway, will start looking for other shops that specializa in Honda EFI engines...

cheers! and thanks again also to the others who posted here......this is a great site!!!

If I remember it right, the EFI on some older Honda engines the power loss is caused by PS when doing slow tight turns taht can cause the engine to stall. And if my memory doesnt fail me, I remember that I did several repairs like that. There is a vac for idling for the AC, PS, lights. I remember cleaning, replacing and even changing damaged hoses. Im certain that some older Festivas have this funny sensors. To sum it up, if your EFI is working good, you may not notice other minor performance deficiencies. If your mechanic cant locate the problem, you can PM me datas of your car and I can look it up in the service manual or ask my buddies in my old workplace or my buddies at Honda.
    Last edited by Trials Jpn.; February 4th, 2006 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trials Jpn.
    If I remember it right, the EFI on some older Honda engines the power loss is caused by PS when doing slow tight turns taht can cause the engine to stall. And if my memory doesnt fail me, I remember that I did several repairs like that. There is a vac for idling for the AC, PS, lights. I remember cleaning, replacing and even changing damaged hoses. Im certain that some older Festivas have this funny sensors. To sum it up, if your EFI is working good, you may not notice other minor performance deficiencies. If your mechanic cant locate the problem, you can PM me datas of your car and I can look it up in the service manual or ask my buddies in my old workplace or my buddies at Honda.
    I second this. When turning the pump for the Power Steering delivers more hydraulic fluid to the rack&pinion which can cause the engine to stall. If you check the electronic diagram of a Honda EG (92-96) there is a switch (sensor) installed in-line on the PS hose going to the r&p. This is a pressure sensor which gives a signal to the ECU (to idle up) when more fluid pressure is needed by the rack&pinion thorugh the PS pump. This might be something you can check

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hi guys,
    Im just having second toughts if I should give tips on repairs because as we all know mechanics are like doctors and every doctor has his own style and his own way of treating a patient. When I was young, my father also repaired and restored cars and I also have seen private mechanics and mechanics from Casa when I was in the Philippines. I learned and became a pro mechanic here in Japan so my style may be very different. I worked for a semi-dealer company where Im the only foreigner and made it to be one of the top mechs in that company before I resigned. While working for that company, I also trained doing crashed, water damaged car restoration for another company so I learned a bit of panel beating and painting also but I also learned how the car auctions work so I decided to go solo and that is the reason why I only do my cars. My foriener buddies also trained me how to chop cars and bikes so basically Im a jack of all trade and a master of none and since I try to do things the cheapest way, my style may be a bit odd for some.
    Back in my old work place we repair cars like hot cakes. Everything is done very fast (time is money), I remember since Im was one of the fastest member that the company made me do difficult jobs in doubles (I can change a timing belt for Celciors/Lexus/Cimas/ Benz 600, etc and I can do 2 in a day for the same fckin salary... fck them! And if its only for chopping, I can drop a Surfs engine in 20 min... snip-snip, chop-chop style). Back there we use high tech tools, fancy high tech gadgets lots of books but in the end, the pros-pros do it (sometimes) by using the basics like duct tape and WD-40 and it works!
    Im not good remembering models, engines, or whatever since the cars rolls very fast and the models keeps on changing. Japanese models change every year and Im sure that only a handful of these mods goes outside Japan. We also did many foreign cars but mostly Europeans like Benzes, Minis, VWs, BMW, Porches, Romeos, etc and sometimes, RRs, Bentleys and Ferraris. Maybe Ive lost some of my love and respect for cars especially for my cars since I put cheap diesel engine oil in all my cars whether its a cheapie or an expensive model. My Evo 7, Benz 500, and my Celsior loved the deisel engine oil I just hope that some especially DIY enthusiast can benefit from my cheap way of doing repairs. Please dont ask if I drive an expensive car because I hate them. I only drive dirt cheap vans that nobody will be interested to use.
    If you have problems especially if its for a very rare Japanese car and you mechanic is running in circles, maybe I can give some help especially if you want to do it yourself. BUT please try to understand that I dont have all the answers and may be occupied doing work.
    TY

PS: if you have time, please check the gallery. Ive posted some of my vehicles that Ive repaired and chopped and in shorts... please dont expect anything fancy because all I have are cheapies.
    Last edited by Trials Jpn.; February 4th, 2006 at 02:48 AM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Jpn.
    Hi guys,
    Im just having second toughts if I should give tips on repairs because as we all know mechanics are like doctors and every doctor has his own style and his own way of treating a patient. If you have problems especially if its for a very rare Japanese car and you mechanic is running in circles, maybe I can give some help especially if you want to do it yourself. BUT please try to understand that I dont have all the answers and may be occupied doing work.
    TY

PS: if you have time, please check the gallery. Ive posted some of my vehicles that Ive repaired and chopped and in shorts... please dont expect anything fancy because all I have are cheapies.
    Hi Trials Jpn,

I am sure that I speak for a lot of others here that we really appreciate you and others like you who take time out to help newbies like me try to make sense of our moody engines

Any advice from you guys is ALWAYS a big help...it is true that a lot of the mechanics here would run around in circles unless they experienced the exact same problem (which is not always the case)...

so again, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to help others...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garyq
    I second this. When turning the pump for the Power Steering delivers more hydraulic fluid to the rack&pinion which can cause the engine to stall. If you check the electronic diagram of a Honda EG (92-96) there is a switch (sensor) installed in-line on the PS hose going to the r&p. This is a pressure sensor which gives a signal to the ECU (to idle up) when more fluid pressure is needed by the rack&pinion thorugh the PS pump. This might be something you can check
    Thank you too Gary , geeez never thought these EFI engines could be so complicated...

you guys are real PROS!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Yap same problem with our previous ESI model civic almost 80,+++km , when in aircon mode it automatically starts to go haywire in around 10mins the engine stall automatically..the idle drop to .5rpm and died... I drove the car to the honda cars manila and they told me that theres a problem with the aircon and needs to clean the throttle body and adjust valve tapet thats the job list description so I approved the job..mahal pala ang labor n aircon blower grave....

nawala yun problem within 2 weeks but the problem came back... so Iam so angry and tried my frend at banawe to fix the problem..

FYI the guys in honda did not clean the throttle body and didnt adjust the vale tapet ... coz my frends mechanic told me that the throttle body has not been open pa.and the engine is so noisy it sounded like a desiel engine..... so he ask my permission to check and clean it i said ok... told me to wait within around 45mins to an hr. thats it ....

after 3 months its still ok and then we sold the car... this happens last year march...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan
    ... geeez never thought these EFI engines could be so complicated...
    yes EFI is so complicated but most owners never knew ... i used to own 95 Civic ESI and bought the Chilton's book for it as well as downloaded a whooping 82MB service manual ... the information is overwhelming!

but it is also true that EFI's are actually reliable ... although they may be difficult to troubleshoot at times, especially for intermittent problems, it would turn out that the problems are easy to fix

there is an Electronic Air Control Valve on the Civic ESI located on the throttle body ... cleaning the valve after 9 nine years of use fixed a rough idling problem ... although i had the fuel filter also cleaned in the course of troubleshooting

the Power Steering Oil Pressure Switch is also used for idling control and it appears to be involved in your problem ... it is easy to verify its operation ... this part never failed on my car, i guess it is reliable and, hopefully, your problem may just be a case of loose contact

as for honda casa service, i have my share of horror story ... competent mechanics are hard to find in or out of casa ... nasa japan na yata sila lahat ... in fact the best mechanic who touched my honda car was nissan trained! ... your best bet is speedyfix as they are highly recommended by tsikot folks (although i never had the chance to avail of their service due to being a promdi) ... leave your car to them for thorough testing if that's what it takes to have your problem resolved ... a day or two should be sufficient

hope this helps

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    uy chilton din? i'm planning to go get one myself, i already had the service manual. magkano ang bili mo sir sa book mo? the only problem with my service manual is that my engine type wasn't there... actually, mas mababa lang ang displacement ko, but the engine it is same with a larger displacement and different name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Carshop for Civic 1994 EFI engine problems