New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    guys i rescently buy this carb cleaner and gusto ko sana linisan yung sarb ko my car is mitsubishi glx 2000 carb type kung ok lng po pa e spray lng ito while the engine is running? need your info pleaSE kung ok lang itong brand na ito? di ba harmful ito sa car ko? yung 400 ml po yung nabili ko color green.

type of carb cleaner:
    carburettor & choke cleaner by hardex
    http://www.hardexworld.com/products/...bricating.aspx

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    also wondered about this, i've seen some people spray the cleaner into the carb while the engine is running. what they do to prevent a stall is to just rev up the engine.

is this ok or is it preferable to just spray while the engine is turned off then just wait a few minutes for the cleaner to evaporate before starting the engine?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Dear Sirs:

The jury is definitely out on the preferred method of carb cleaning.

That said, some brands of spray on carb cleaner even specify in the instructions to spray the carb while the engine is running.

In my opinion, spraying while the engine is running is the easy way out.

The ideal situation would be to dismantle the carb and clean it out piece-by-piece.

However, that involves a major carb overhaul and is both time-consuming and more expensive.

Spraying when the engine is running definitely helps the cleaning process because the high-speed airflow carries the carb cleaner along with it and thus helps to wash out and loosen deposits and dirt.

Also because the air flows over those parts that are exposed to its' flow (and thus are the dirtiest) you are cleaning the parts that need it the most.

Its definitely superior to the alternative - spraying with the engine off.

The dirt will be loosened a little but the airflow just makes cleaning more effective.

The only downside is that the dissolved and loosened dirt is sent straight into the engine.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by duskylim View Post
    Dear Sirs:

The jury is definitely out on the preferred method of carb cleaning.

That said, some brands of spray on carb cleaner even specify in the instructions to spray the carb while the engine is running.

In my opinion, spraying while the engine is running is the easy way out.

The ideal situation would be to dismantle the carb and clean it out piece-by-piece.

However, that involves a major carb overhaul and is both time-consuming and more expensive.

Spraying when the engine is running definitely helps the cleaning process because the high-speed airflow carries the carb cleaner along with it and thus helps to wash out and loosen deposits and dirt.

Also because the air flows over those parts that are exposed to its' flow (and thus are the dirtiest) you are cleaning the parts that need it the most.

Its definitely superior to the alternative - spraying with the engine off.

The dirt will be loosened a little but the airflow just makes cleaning more effective.

The only downside is that the dissolved and loosened dirt is sent straight into the engine.

Just my 2 cents.

Best Regards,

Dusky Lim
    thanks for the nice info sir!!!!

carb cleaner Question?