New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Hi guys! it's me again... sorry if i'm having a lot of questions... I'm learning a lot from this site and want to learn more about cars... here it goes... hahaha im curious... What is a crank case breather? what does it do? does it improve perromance of your engine kahit panu? would you recommend it? thanks again....

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk0616 View Post
    Hi guys! it's me again... sorry if i'm having a lot of questions... I'm learning a lot from this site and want to learn more about cars... here it goes... hahaha im curious... What is a crank case breather? what does it do? does it improve perfomance of your engine kahit panu? would you recommend it? thanks again....
    All engines produce blowby. These are gasses leaking through the piston ring gaps, as well as between the piston and cylinder wall clearances. Older engines have a higher rate of blowby than new engines. This is due to normal wear on the rings and cylinders.

These gasses accumulate inside the engine compartment. The crankcase breather allows these gasses to escape to the atmosphere on older engines. On the newer engines which have to conform to stricter emission laws, these gasses are routed back to the engine's intake system through the PCV and some hoses.

If no breather is installed on an engine; or if the engine block is fully sealed, blowby pressures will rapidly rise, and blow off the front and rear crankshaft seals, camshaft seal, or even the valve cover.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    hmmm... so that means the breather can help? right? ang nangyari kasi is ang air intake ko may naka connect na tube from the crank to the air filter tube... so parang dun na rin ata lumalabas yung emissions sa air intake tube... kung tama ang pagkakaintindi ko... ? should i remove the connection and instead replace it with a breather?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    [quote=dirk0616;1288844]hmmm... so that means the breather can help? right? ang nangyari kasi is ang air intake ko may naka connect na tube from the crank to the air filter tube... so parang dun na rin ata lumalabas yung emissions sa air intake tube... kung tama ang pagkakaintindi ko... ? should i remove the connection and instead replace it with a breather? [/quote]

dirk,
    if you're old enough to see the road where the stop signs or traffic light was, you would see the asphalt oily with the residue of the oil dripping from the engine's crankcase breather and leaving drips on the road. and of course it contributes to the air pollution from crankcase emissions. that was the reason for the positive crankcase ventillation with the PCV valve as a regulator for the crankcase gases emissions. please be a part of the solution to the air pollution and not a part of the problem. we only have one earth and no substitute.
    jick

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    oooooooouchhh!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    tama si jick jan .

7. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    [quote=dirk0616;1288844]hmmm... so that means the breather can help? right? ang nangyari kasi is ang air intake ko may naka connect na tube from the crank to the air filter tube... so parang dun na rin ata lumalabas yung emissions sa air intake tube... kung tama ang pagkakaintindi ko... ? should i remove the connection and instead replace it with a breather?

dirk,
    if you're old enough to see the road where the stop signs or traffic light was, you would see the asphalt oily with the residue of the oil dripping from the engine's crankcase breather and leaving drips on the road. and of course it contributes to the air pollution from crankcase emissions. that was the reason for the positive crankcase ventillation with the PCV valve as a regulator for the crankcase gases emissions. please be a part of the solution to the air pollution and not a part of the problem. we only have one earth and no substitute.
    jick[/quote]

Sir,

I'm old enough... and with all due respect at the start of the thread i was asking what a crank case breather is and even asked if you would recommend it ... if i would've known from the start that it would contribute to air pollution i wouldn't even start the thread and not even think about having a breather... that 's why there's this thing called getting information? Of course i dont want to be part of the problem. we all breath the same air and well aware that we cant replace our earth... thank you for sharing your thoughts sir...
    Last edited by dirk0616; August 1st, 2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: will delete a phrase

Breather... ?