New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    That's not a valid test of the adbv's performance. Dapat vertical yung orientation ng filter, same as it would be when installed. The adbv is usually a simple plastic or rubber membrane that falls to the bottom of the filter to block the holes using gravity and the weight of the oil itself to hold it there. If you hold it 90 degrees horizontal then the adbv won't necessarily mate to the surface.

adbv is piece #4 in this diagram. how it works should be obvious, as is the bad methodology of the test in those videos.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    That's not a valid test of the adbv's performance. Dapat vertical yung orientation ng filter, same as it would be when installed. The adbv is usually a simple plastic or rubber membrane that falls to the bottom of the filter to block the holes using gravity and the weight of the oil itself to hold it there. If you hold it 90 degrees horizontal then the adbv won't necessarily mate to the surface.

adbv is piece #4 in this diagram. how it works should be obvious, as is the bad methodology of the test in those videos.
    These filters were designed to be installed horizontally on the 4jk1-tc engine... try to look at the first gen isuzu mux 2.5

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i am curious,
    after an overnight's sleep,
    will the better ADBV-equipped oil filter still have significant volume of oil inside it?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by waldnerdoe View Post
    These filters were designed to be installed horizontally on the 4jk1-tc engine... try to look at the first gen isuzu mux 2.5
    That's the engine where the filter is installed from underneath the car right? In that case with the oil filter mounted so low the adbv should be making very little difference.
    The oil filter is already near or at the lowest part of that section of the car and there's nowhere for the oil to flow downward from the filter without being pulled upward by the pump.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2013
    I'm afraid sir this has totally discredit you for supplying false information on this forums. You have taught a lot of people here in this forum the incorrect ways of testing an oil filter.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2020

Quote Originally Posted by JapanABC View Post
    I'm afraid sir this has totally discredit you for supplying false information on this forums. You have taught a lot of people here in this forum the incorrect ways of testing an oil filter.
    Hello sir, i am not trying to discredit the manufacturer or supplying false information. I am just trying to show my experience with regards to the oil filter and for the members to see the adbv difference between vic and js asakashi. This filter may be defective. If you want i can send you a new js asakashi oil filter coz i still have two pcs in my custody.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JapanABC View Post
    hello sir, where is the false info that i posted?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2020
    That's the engine where the filter is installed from underneath the car right? In that case with the oil filter mounted so low the adbv should be making very little difference.
    The oil filter is already near or at the lowest part of that section of the car and there's nowhere for the oil to flow downward from the filter without being pulled upward by the pump.

yes that is the engine. as you can see, the sump is much lower than the filter, therefore, the oil from the filter will still flow back to the sump. a very little difference will be become bigger in the long run. sir, in your opinion, assuming that all the parts of the subject filter are functioning except the ADBV would you still use it for 5 years or until the useful life of the engine? or recommend it to your friends?

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    The sump is lower but because of the baffles in the engine the oil is not going to flow out of the filter and into the sump.

Imagine the sump is on Basement 2, and the filter is on Basement 1. But there's no direct flow going from B1 to B2, and instead you have to go to the ground level first. Then any oil already in B1 will not flow into B2 on gravity alone.

In fact, if you check oil change videos of 4JK1 engines with the filter mounted down low, oil spills out of the line trying to flow downward *into* the filter when you remove it. This is what I meant that in the case of that particular engine backflow and the adbv are not an issue.

This is not the exact same engine, but it's still a 4J with a low mounted filter. Notice that even after the sump is fully drained (about the 5 minute mark), oil still flows downward from the lines going into the filter when it's loosened at around the 6:20 mark:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    hindi naman spring loaded yan ADBV... it relies on the weight of the oil pressing around the ADBV against oil filter to make the seal.. otherwise it is open all the time..

sa side mounted filter, useless yan ADBV..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast