New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Which is better? I'll point out the drawbacks of both.

More Fuel
    - more weight, which means slower acceleration and less efficiency (on fuel, brakes, tires, etc.)

Less Fuel
    - Fuel pump works harder (I think).
    - More contaminants enter the system.
    - The thing about free air volume (less is said to better).

Having said that, perhaps the best thing to do is to keep the tank between 3/4 and 1/4 full. Any other insights are welcome.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    any performance benefits to having less fuel in the tank (due to reduced weight, and which would probably be not-too-significant anyway) will be offset by the inconvenience of having to fill up more often hehe :D at least for me

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i really don't think having it always below half full is really harmful to the fuel pump. ang masama is yung parati kang natutuyuan and nauubusan.

i would go for mbt's reason... the inconvenience of having to fill up everytime you need to is the main reason.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    not to mention... 55 liters of gas (full tank) is only 55 kilos at most (but gasoline is less dense than water, so it's less than 55 kilos). versus say 1000 kilos for the net vehicle weight. 5% increase lang ng full tank vs. empty tank.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    If I can remember from my science classes, water has zero density.

As for the 5% weight increase, that's a lot even if it sounds too little. Even just 1 hp is a lot (think aircons).

Perhaps we just have to maintain some sort of Goldilocks amount of fuel on-board, not too full or too empty, just right.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    How about not less than 1/4 and not greater than 3/4 tankful of fuel?

Most of the time I just keep it between 1/2 and 1/4 full. I just fill my tank full when it's cold.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    You should be doing fine there, but the first one will lessen your visits to the station. ;)

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    the best is to keep your tank enough load of gasoline...........for traffic n fun

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    density of pure water is approximately 1.0 g/cc, not zero hehe :D

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    For me, full tank to the brim then wait till the gas indicator lights up then full tank again. But I make it sure that the next gas station is less than 40 kms. away para hindi matuyuan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Amount of fuel in tank