New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    898
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
    Yeah.. just follow the rule of thumb regarding refueling:

    -refuel when the indicator is around 1/4 already.
    -put in fuel that fills at least 3/4 of the tank.

    Then you will 100% ok. Of course, be careful where you filled up.
    Gerbo:

    When you say be careful where you fill up, does this mean I have to fill only sa big three gas stations? I actually havent tried to gus up sa iba, since I had a bad experience (with my old car) a gas station na ang pangalan ay may (1st). Nag-full tank ako dahil malayo yung pupuntahan ko at cheaper sila by around P 1.50 per liter and to my surprise, I noticed na parang may halong tubig and fuel nila. Ang Car ko ay parang walang power kahit gaango ko inihatak ang accelerator. I think with my new car, I will never experiment. Thanks for your advice.

  2. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    226
    #22
    Kakalawangin ang tangke mo... And it will aggravate to the dirt and sediment in the fuel / line issue....

    7202:bruce_lee:


    so, meron ba pwede iba gawin other than filling up the gas tank to about 3/4 or full tank and the regular fuel filter check-up/replacement to avoid sediments from being sucked in?
    can the fuel tank be cleaned regularly to take out these sediments?

  3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,938
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    and if some particles and/or few ml/drops of water happen to float, natural pwede masipsip ito mas mabuti pa ring sa gitna sumipsip/kumuha ng fuel kesa sa ibabaw. yan ang bentahe ng maraming laman.
    Kahit nga po marami ang laman, sa ilalim pa rin sumisipsip iyung fuel system natin at hindi sa gitna, at kagaya ng sinabi ni Doc Otep, dahil mas mabigat ang impurities, laging bumababa ito. Therefore, kahit puno ang tangke o malapit nang maubos, ganun pa rin ang pagsipsip niya.

    (Saka hindi talaga pwedeng sa itaas ang pagsipsip, kasi, konting bawas lang sa fuel level, "EMPTY" ka na kahit above 90% pa ang fuel mo sa tank. )

    Maybe Doc Otep means that the more fuel the tank contains, the more the dirt gets evenly spread (because of slushing during movement) and the less dirt there is at the bottom where the end of the hose is located; and as the fuel level gets low, the less evenly spread the dirt and more of it is being sucked in.

    Tama ba ang interpretation ko, Doc?

  4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,938
    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    The principle of preventing rust build up in the fuel tank somewhat relates to the amount of fuel inside it. The more fuel you have, the less space there is for moisture to stay in. So if you constantly run with low fuel, then you've got a lot of dead airspace inside the tank, and we all know it's very humid back there.

    Humidity inside the fuel tank causes rust, which causes more debris to form. This is also the same reason why, when storing a car for a long time, owners fill the tank to minimize the moisture inside.
    Now this humidity+moisture issue is more acceptable for me than the dirt-sucking issue... :peace:

  5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,601
    #25
    If you think of it, the dirt sucking issue is relevant. See, the weight of the fuel in the fuel tank helps keep the sediments at the bottom with a full tank, but with a near empty one there's not much to keep them down, so it's easier to stir up the fuel tank and get the dirt into the fuel system.

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    15,525
    #26
    my partner's car always runs on empty fuel tank. mga 80% of the time, parating naka ilaw na yung low fuel light.

    after three months, fuel pump got busted. dahil sa dumi ng nakukuhang fuel galing sa loob ng tank.

  7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,938
    #27
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeige View Post
    If you think of it, the dirt sucking issue is relevant. See, the weight of the fuel in the fuel tank helps keep the sediments at the bottom with a full tank, but with a near empty one there's not much to keep them down, so it's easier to stir up the fuel tank and get the dirt into the fuel system.
    I don't really agree that the fuel weighs down on the dirt, because the dirt is supposed to be "part" of the fuel even when it's "stuck" down there at the bottom of the tank. I think of it as initially suspended (upon introduction with the fuel), then "precipitates" to the bottom, but when the fuel is stirred up by vehicle movement, some of the dirt gets suspended again. Just like suspension-based antibiotics (e.g., amoxicillin) which when left alone for a while shows that the antibiotic portion is denser than the added water because the "white stuff" sinks down to the bottom. But it gets suspended in the liquid it is part of when the bottle is shaken.

    That said, I'm still sold on the idea of maintaining high levels of fuel in my tank.

    Hmm... maybe we can employ/invent something that can clean up our fuel tanks without having to remove the tank from the vehicle? Any takers?

  8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,938
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    my partner's car always runs on empty fuel tank. mga 80% of the time, parating naka ilaw na yung low fuel light.

    after three months, fuel pump got busted. dahil sa dumi ng nakukuhang fuel galing sa loob ng tank.
    How much distance has your partner's ride covered in that time span?

    I've been maintaining VERY LOW fuel levels on my L-200 for a year now, no problems whatsoever. But, it only covered a distance of 2,325 kms in that time span.

  9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,129
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    my partner's car always runs on empty fuel tank. mga 80% of the time, parating naka ilaw na yung low fuel light.

    after three months, fuel pump got busted. dahil sa dumi ng nakukuhang fuel galing sa loob ng tank.
    Sir that one of the reason why your fuel pump was busted.. but the main reason reason is overheating... most of gas engine today has a submersible fuel pump locataed directecly to the fuel pump..its was design to be submerge... so when car gas tank is almost empty it will cause overheating on the fuel pump.. better refuel on the 1/4 level of the gas tank to eliminate the overheating. or maintain it to 3/4 level to elimate the tank corrosion....

  10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,601
    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    I don't really agree that the fuel weighs down on the dirt, because the dirt is supposed to be "part" of the fuel even when it's "stuck" down there at the bottom of the tank. I think of it as initially suspended (upon introduction with the fuel), then "precipitates" to the bottom, but when the fuel is stirred up by vehicle movement, some of the dirt gets suspended again. Just like suspension-based antibiotics (e.g., amoxicillin) which when left alone for a while shows that the antibiotic portion is denser than the added water because the "white stuff" sinks down to the bottom. But it gets suspended in the liquid it is part of when the bottle is shaken.

    That said, I'm still sold on the idea of maintaining high levels of fuel in my tank.

    Hmm... maybe we can employ/invent something that can clean up our fuel tanks without having to remove the tank from the vehicle? Any takers?
    Then again, I've ran my car up to 500 miles on a single tank, never had a problem....but I need to clean my fuel sender/float. The low fuel light does not turn on.

    I did fill up with around 19-20 gallons though (it has a 21 gallon tank). I could have still driven home, with that last gallon I could have done 25 miles easy.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Always Running on Low Gas, what are its damaging effects?