New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Other thread splintered into how maintenance intensive diesel engines are vs gas engines. What do you folks have to say? Does local diesels need to be more maintained than gas cars?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I think it is how one religiously do preventive maintenance check up on a vehicle. Kahit siguro sabihin natin na mas madali ang maintenance ng diesel engine over gasoline kung di naman marunong magingat ang owner ng gas engine di rin ito magtatagal. I myself follow simple steps in maintaining my car like changing oil ever 5000 and follows what the manual tells me what should be checked or replaced if run for a certain kilometers.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Compare na lang the price of oil filter. Di hamak na mas mahal ang diesel. Masdami din yata ang oil na kailangan.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I guess the oil filter and the oil capacity would depend on the displacement. Whether it is diesel or gas.

How about the calibration of the newer CRDi engines? Do we have the capabilities of calibrating CRDi engines? Diba computerized na dapat at di na mano mano...

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Costwise for the 1st 3 - 5 years, halos pareho lang ang magagastos mo for PMS. Though costs of oil filter and oil are higher for diesel, meron ka naman papalitan na spark plug sa gas. After 3-5 years (depende rin sa pag-gamit), pag- naguusok na ang diesel, mas malaki na ang gastos.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    assuming both engines are new, the diesel engine would only require an oil change and replacement of the oil filter every 5k km. other consumable items such as the fuel and air filters would be replaced but as we all know, di naman ito pinapalitan every 5k km. on the other hand, a gasoline engine requires a different regimen every 5k km. apart from the oil change, another consumable item, apart from your usual array of filters, enters the picture-the sparkplug. bear in mind however, the spark plug is not replaced every 5k km, as technicians still examine the set before replacing them because sound sparkplugs can still be cleaned unless there is severe fouling. as for the long term maintenance, diesel owners have to accept the fact that their engine would require an eventual calibration, several factors dictate when such service would be required but the usual indication is the spewing of black smoke. gasoline engines on the other hand, usually are not associated with calibration yet some service casas perform injector cleaning every 30k km. all in all, i think that diesel engines are only expensive to maintain during their major service requirements such as calibration but are fairly reasonable to maintain as it only requires a periodic oil change every 5k km. gasoline engines have more parts that need to be replaced every pms but seldom require major servicing unlike that of a diesel engine. in short, there are trade-offs involving the two types of engines as regards maintenace.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    oil change lang tune up ng diesel. but of course meron din check fluids etc and clean air filter. replace fuel filter after _kms.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Diesels are pretty easy to maintain. There is not ignition system to think of. Mostly just fluids, filters and other consumables.

Even my 28 year old ride is yet to be calibrated.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    you mean otep your pajero is 28 years old na?...... joke joke...he he

WBR, ;)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Diesel Engine Maintenance vs Gas Engines