New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I recently bought a '92 Pajero GEN 2 (previous owner got it from ADB) fitted with a 4D56 turbo diesel engine. I'm thinking about increasing the power a bit by adding an intercooler but I'm hesitant about a few things I'll probably encounter in this project. My questions are:

1.) Can I add an intercooler to my engine without doing any modifications on the internal components of the engine? I don't want to replace the engine with a surplus TDIC 4D56 engine because I don't really have the budget for it. And besides, the engine is in excellent working condition.
    I just want to know if it would be feasible to add an intercooler because of the added power it would bring.

2.) Will the engine be strong and reliable enough to accomodate an increase in power brought about by the addition of an intercooler? Is it advisable to add an intercooler in this situation?

3.) If it is feasible to bolt on an intercooler to my engine, what parts/components do I need to successfully upgrade my turbo diesel engine to a TDIC engine?

I'd really appreciate any info and advice you guys can give me about this idea of mine. Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You can add an intercooler, you wont need to replace anything, all you need to do is buy an intercooler designed for your pajero. There are intercoolers for your pajero model in banawe surplus shops. The added HP wont be that much that the engine cant accomodate it, it is a good idea to add an intercooler, I don't know if you would need modifications probably the mouting brackets for the intercooler would need to be fabricated.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually tulong nga kung may intercooler kc it would cool down the warn air that enters trhe engine making ur engine more efficient n run better, if anything, better performance lang n not much increase in power. dats the turbo's job, i'm sure u can do that n if u ever do that, try luking for a hood that has a hood scoop para todo porma na, under 10k na yung hood with scoop. get pajero kid's number, he has a hood with a scoop for u.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you want to add an intercooler, i think you have to get a new intake manifold, aside from the intercooler assembly. I checked out some 4d56T's in Banawe and i found that magka-iba ang itsura ng intake manny nila. Of course you could get aroung this problem by modifying the hoses, thats if you dont like to go stock :D

And tama si kc. To maximize your new Intercooler, better check the hood. Intercooled pajeros have special air ducts underneath the hood to feed the intercoolers cool outside air(Gen2 95-97). Of course, 2.8L models have the hood scoop (wala na pong ducting coz the air comes directly from outside).

hope this helps :D

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Before installing an intercooler for your engine, you may want to try it first on offroading. Then unleash the real power that your engine have. (that is if you are only interested sir. :D )
    Then feel your engine if it really needs power that you may want to add. :mrgreen:

Join us in our next offroading excapades, it's fun! (parang napapansin ko dumadami na mga Pajero boys dito :mrgreen: )

Just my 3 cents.. ay! 2 cents pala, typo error.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You don't need to modify the internals of your engine to accomodate an intercooler. An intercooler does not add any undue stress to your engine.

An intercooler is basically a heat exchanger (radiator) for the air that's coming in. It has no moving parts other than the fan underneath it making it pretty reliable.

Most changes will involve the intake plumbing. Madali lang naman iyon as long as you have the right parts.

You may want to get a double-wall (4D56 TDIC) or a scooped (4M40 TDIC) hood to help the intercooler breathe better.

Horsepower will go from around 84 bhp to 99 bhp.

Try to join the off-road trips. There you will learn that its not always horsepower that counts. I learned that a lot the last time I was with them.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ikabod:::Yon engine ko no turbo, ok naman sa offroad. Upgrade lang ako ng tires.

UNGAS, PAJEROKID, KCboy:::Kaya I like to replay our level 2 run natin sa PORAC.

Otep:::I know what you mean. :wink:

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ikabod:::Yon engine ko no turbo, ok naman sa offroad. Upgrade lang ako ng tires. One set of turbo (surplus) cost P15,000. May kasama ng intake and exhaust manifold and the injection pump or the flapper only

UNGAS, PAJEROKID, KCboy:::Kaya I like to replay our level 2 run natin sa PORAC.

Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    There you will learn that its not always horsepower that counts. I learned that a lot the last time I was with them.
    Otep:::I know what you mean. :wink:

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    next year cguro alfred try natin yung level 3. si jan paurong kc. he tried level 3, 2, then1 kaya pabored sya ng pabord sa offroadinmg. less challenging. bitin yung last natin.next year cguro alfred try natin yung level 3. si jan paurong kc. he tried level 3, 2, then1 kaya pabored sya ng pabord sa offroadinmg. less challenging. bitin yung last natin.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ikabod::: Pare, adding an intercooler makes sense! An addotional 15 horsepower is certainly useful for everyone. And besides, 4D56turbos and 4d56turbo intercoolers have exactly the same internals (note: Normally Aspirated 4D56s are different!).

A more powerful engine is surely an asset onroad. You know, for overtaking, fuel economy etc. But i back up what the peeps said about offroading. Yung aking hamak na 99hp 4d56 lumalagari! Whats more important offroad is (IMO) the performance of the transfercase and differential. (VIVA Super Select!!! :mrgreen: )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Adding an intercooler to a 4D56 turbodiesel engine