New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Hi guys! Lumabas na rin Boxey ko!!! SL 4G33 ;D

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649531/7

The thing is, It seems like there is something wrong with the engine... I mean, it accelerates like a van. A kia pride outruns it on straights(tested with a friend)...

I mean, I've heard hypes about this car so I'm thinking there's just something wrong...

What I've done so far:
    Top overhaul
    new oil
    new sparks
    carb has been adjusted
    The timing has been.... well, timed.

I've heard many people say, "hey nice box. Matulin yan." and they do know it's an SL...

What do you guys think is/are the problem/s

Thank guys very much :D

2. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    I'm afraid ganoon talaga yun. Matulin yan in a sense meaning it can keep up with "most" cars but don't expect it to go uber fast... old tech na kasi... 8 valves lang plus medyo gas guzzler pa compared with the new engines. Pero for a daily driver, pwede na yan

Heck, I couldn't even outrun a d15b+IHE hatchback civic with my 4G32+dual carb+cam 5 setup hehe

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    I have to agree with the comment above. Sometimes the memories of going fast in a box type is faster than it's actual speed at the time, after all a stock 4g33 in perfect condition only had 92hp which in it's day was considered high output already. I recall my nephew going crazy because their box type had a bell you would hear when it reached 100km/h and it was a big deal to be going 100 km/h during those days. Now that I think about it my old 3 cylinder 1L Chevy Sprint could out run that car. Anyways, enjoy the car you at least have a RWD car unlike all the new FWD cars. See if you can swap it with a 4g63T or 4g92 MIVEC that would make a hell of a ride if you could make that swap work.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    I have to agree with the comment above. Sometimes the memories of going fast in a box type is faster than it's actual speed at the time, after all a stock 4g33 in perfect condition only had 92hp which in it's day was considered high output already. I recall my nephew going crazy because their box type had a bell you would hear when it reached 100km/h and it was a big deal to be going 100 km/h during those days. Now that I think about it my old 3 cylinder 1L Chevy Sprint could out run that car. Anyways, enjoy the car you at least have a RWD car unlike all the new FWD cars. See if you can swap it with a 4g63T or 4g92 MIVEC that would make a hell of a ride if you could make that swap work.
    I agree with the engine swap suggestion ;) plopped a 63T into mine and now it's a machine that does not know what traction means haha

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    wow namiss ko tuloy boxtype namin, nice ride bro! sana may finish product pic na!
    sir sad to say na mabagal nga ang makinang ito compared sa mga bagong makina ngayon pero if you are willing to spend meron naman 4g63T sohc (lancer ex turbo ralliart engine) na swak sa engine bay mo, o kaya yung mga 4g62BT 1.8L old school goodness!!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    check this out!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    di kaya sliding na ang clutch mo? another is baka masikip pa settings ng valves mo para lumapat. have it adjusted to spec after a few thousand kilometers.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I have 2 Boxtype, one a stock 1400sl and a 1600sl with saturn engine and webber carb. I dont think the 1400sl is slower than a kia pride, i can reach 140kph on its 4 speed transmission. Something might be wrong with your engine.

I can't say that my 97 civic lxi is faster that the 1600sl, but the boxtype has a lot more torque that my honda. Although both cars can reach 170 in a nearly the same amount of time.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    check mo clutch lining and pressure plate, at mali position mo ng air filter direct sa init ng headers mo, hot intake air means less power

10. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Hi Poochie,

Im also a proud owner of a 4G33 engine. marami kasing reason kung bakit mabagal takbo ng kotse mo.. matulin yan kung sa matulin pero dont expect na makakatapat ka sa mas mga bago at modernong makina ngayon. pa check mo muna ang compression baka kasi tonto mekanik at mali ang overhaul kasi minsan head gasket lang sumingaw malaking diperensya na sa performance. check your ignition timing ulit then check mo vaccum advance mechanism mo baka perforated na ang diaphram palitan mo na yun pag ganun. minsan naman barado lang ang vacuum tube o butas papunta ng carb. check mo din baka singaw ang inlet manifold (kung malakas ang kalog ng makina mo at 500rpm). tama din na ilayo mo yung filter sa headers kasi mas malakas ang engine compression kapag malamig ang hangin ( mas dikit ang air molecules sa isat isa pag mas malamig kaya nga naimbento ang mga turbo chargers)

P.S.
    lahat ng sinabi ko assuming sungaw manakbo ang kotse mo (malakas ang ugong ng makina pero mabagal ang arangkada).

Goodluck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
4g33 help