New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Good day! About 9 or more months ago my Space Gear started to experience intermittent "hard starting" which became more frequent as the months went by until about 3 weeks ago when it does not want to start any more. About 3-4 months ago the problem started to worsen - sometimes it would take 3 or more tries before it would eventually start and sometimes it's just a one-click affair. It's like the engine is gasping for "air and/or gas" before it would decide to start. This is a casa-maintained van until the last PMS wherein they told me there was nothing wrong with the starting of the car after they changed the glow plugs, etc., etc., only to find out the problem was not solved. After that I terminated my relationship with that casa.

I am assuming that the problem is confined within fuel system. The problem is I am just a simple DIY'er and would not venture into tinkering with the fuel system.

Any help, recommendations, suggestions will be much appreciated. Home service will also be welcome so if there is someone out there who's willing to look into this problem or if you could recommend someone who does home service, I will be open to that.

Thanks a lot!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try starting first with the basics which are the electricals: ground, battery and starter.

When the starter went bye-bye on our old Sentra, pina home service ko nalang sa electrician from Reys Electrical that time. May additional bayad lang plus i had to pick him up at the shop.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    sir fuel filter nyo mukhang barado....

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by riveno View Post
    Good day! About 9 or more months ago my Space Gear started to experience intermittent "hard starting" which became more frequent as the months went by until about 3 weeks ago when it does not want to start any more. About 3-4 months ago the problem started to worsen - sometimes it would take 3 or more tries before it would eventually start and sometimes it's just a one-click affair. It's like the engine is gasping for "air and/or gas" before it would decide to start. This is a casa-maintained van until the last PMS wherein they told me there was nothing wrong with the starting of the car after they changed the glow plugs, etc., etc., only to find out the problem was not solved. After that I terminated my relationship with that casa.

I am assuming that the problem is confined within fuel system. The problem is I am just a simple DIY'er and would not venture into tinkering with the fuel system.

Any help, recommendations, suggestions will be much appreciated. Home service will also be welcome so if there is someone out there who's willing to look into this problem or if you could recommend someone who does home service, I will be open to that.

Thanks a lot!

you're saying that it can crank normally but fails to start? start by checking the voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid at the injection pump. if it does not have battery voltage (maybe lower or none at all at times), check the wiring and the fuse. if it does have voltage, check by listening with a stethoscope or suitable material to listen to the solenoid operation. you should hear a metallic click when the ignition switch is switched on

Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    you're saying that it can crank normally but fails to start? start by checking the voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid at the injection pump. if it does not have battery voltage (maybe lower or none at all at times), check the wiring and the fuse. if it does have voltage, check by listening with a stethoscope or suitable material to listen to the solenoid operation. you should hear a metallic click when the ignition switch is switched on
    +1 here. I experienced the fuel cut solenoid valve not engaging because the voltage to the terminal dropped to around 10v resulting to the engine still cranking (since most diesels use reduction gear starters) but not starting. Charging the battery solved the problem (battery got discharged when vehicle was left for more than 2 weeks with the door ajar and the door courtesy lamps left on).

If your voltage is normal but the fuel cutoff solenoid (Circuit brand names it "shut off valve") still won't engage despite its terminal having the correct voltage, then either your engine grounding is poor or the valve itself needs replacement.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    *vinj, *glenn manikis, *jick.cejoco, *kompressor - thanks to you all for your replies. So far this is what has transpired:

- kumuha ako ng sample ng fuel from the tank and binulaga ako ng kalawang dun sa loob ng filler pipe. and yung fuel na nakuha ay colored yellow (woohoo!!!) so I assumed that the tank itself is rusty already.
    - this morning, with the help of a friend, we bought 3 liters of diesel gas, bypassed the fuel filter and fed it directly from the container. nag-start nang walang problema.
    - so confirmed walang problema sa electrical nor sa engine, nasa fuel system and problema.
    - my next steps are to:
    - have the fuel filter checked and replaced if necessary
    - check lahat ng fuel lines from the filter up to the fuel tank
    - have the fuel tank assessed kung worth pa bang i-salvage or just replace with a new/surplus tank. mukhang leaning towards new or surplus tank kasi yung confidence level ko dun sa current tank ay bumaba because of the rust but we'll see after ma-check-up.
    - and lastly i have to decide kung kanino pagagawa yung trabaho. baka may mai-recommend kayo na very reliable shop na gagawa nito.
    - and kung merong kayong rekomendasyon kung saan ok bumili ng new or surplus na fuel tank.

maraming salamat ulit sa inyong tulong.