New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Good infos bro. Those are good quality photos and videos.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Good infos bro. Those are good quality photos and videos.

Is it so? Well, thanks bro! The videos were shot using a Nikon D7000 with an 18-55mm VR kit lens, I also used a tripod, no external microphones; While the picture of the bendix drive was taken using my Samsung J5 2016

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Is it so? Well, thanks for the appreciation bro! The videos were taken using a Nikon D7000 with 18-55mm kit lens and tripod while the picture was taken using a Samsung J5 2016.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    UPDATE:

The slipping noise is eventually starting to go louder and nastier, although it slips but starts on the first turn of the key unlike my old starter which it will just grind and make that nasty noise. Anyway, I will probably have it checked tomorrow if the weather permits because it is really raining hard right now here in Palawan. Just some personal opinion about this, I'm bothered as to why the new starter that I got, oh I should say surplus OEM denso starter (Made in Thailand) still slips and is now gradually making a louder and nastier noise. I would really bet that after a few more days of usage, this will also become like my old starter (But I hope it would not). LOL!

I'm no expert in engines and mechanical stuff but these are the childish thoughts that goes in my mind regarding this issue (Feel free to correct me if im wrong):

1. Maybe my flywheel is the real problem? (Oh no, why did I bought a starter)
    2. Maybe the battery? (But this is a brand new Amaron; not older than 6 months)
    3. Maybe the alternator? (Ugh, I don't know. All I know about the alternator was that if it's broken, you won't be able to crank the engine after few usage because it will drain out the battery)
    4. Maybe the ignition switch? (What it has something to do with this?)
    5. Maybe, the mechanic ain't fitted the starter well? (Maybe he can re-install the starter or he can do something like turning the gears and everything in the engine so the teeth of the flywheel will now match the teeth of the starter pinion? A not-so-sure-if-possible idea)

6. Or maybe, I just had a bad starter again? (So unlucky of me)

Anyway, I hope that I can have it checked tomorrow and I will update you guys on the findings. God bless!

4. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by iameldrin View Post
    Not a mechanic and not pro, but as I watched the video I think the noise is coming around the place where the alternator and compressor are, i have a similar sound like that tik tik and it only happens when the ac comp is on...

so the verdict i think you just need to bring it to a mechanic, i know a good mechanic if you guys live around rizal
    I just want to update you sir. The mechanic of the toyota casa here in Palawan told me that the ticking sound that comes from the side of the turbo intercooler (near the air filter) is just the turbo sound and he said it's normal. Meanwhile, the ticking sound that comes from the other side of the engine bay on the driver side is from the transmission release bearing. He says it's worn out and I have to replace it too. Seems legit, because whenever I press the pedal or just put my foot on it, the ticking sound disappears!

Anyway, i'm saving up to service my whole clutch assembly soon. Planning to buy a whole clutch assembly (Pressure Plate, Clutch Lining and all the bearings needed). I'm still looking for the best place with the best deal to order a clutch assembly there in Manila.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    UPDATE:

I had the starter checked yesterday. I'm not sure though, I'm still thinking maybe it was a bad or misaligned flex plate or another component of the starter assembly like the armature and solenoid but base on our check-up yesterday, it turns out that I got a bad surplus starter too. It also has trimmings on the bendix drive assembly shaft and I will post it here. We're looking forward to return the item and find another surplus again or maybe we'll just order a brand new one. Anyway, my mechanic told me that the usual major problem that occurs first in the Hilux are the "Starter Bendix Drive" and "Alternator Pulley". He told me that many Hilux owners also experience such problems. What can you say fellow tsikoteers? Those who also own a Hilux here, is this true?

And also, if someone here who owns a Hilux and experiences or have experienced the same problem too, can you contact me? And if you have a picture of your damaged bendix drive, can you send it over my email? Thanks to whoever will contact me for this. I would be really glad! Thank you!

Will keep you guys updated about this issue so that we may all have a thread here which may be used as technical reference.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    is it just possible, that the problem is not the starter, but the mount? maybe the starter mount is distorted, and the starter (any starter!) can not sit properly?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is it just possible, that the problem is not the starter, but the mount? maybe the starter mount is distorted, and the starter (any starter!) can not sit properly?
    I can't say sir. When we had it checked a few days ago, the mechanic mounted/unmounted it for almost 4 times. We'll see the real problem if 1.) Someone here would send me over a picture of their bendix drive; I'll just check if the trimmed part on the shaft in which I always put a circle is normal or a wear indicator and 2.) If I'll be able to find a good starter with a bendix drive in good condition after a few days and then the starting will go nice, however if not then maybe it's not the starter that has the problem, so I will have to check also other parts of the vehicle.

Will keep you guys posted next time. As of now, it starts but there's this short slipping sound at the beginning. I'm still looking for a surplus starter or a brand new bendix drive from the casa. Will update everyone soon! Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    errr... bearings?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad_Goals View Post
    I can't say sir. When we had it checked a few days ago, the mechanic mounted/unmounted it for almost 4 times. We'll see the real problem if 1.) Someone here would send me over a picture of their bendix drive; I'll just check if the trimmed part on the shaft in which I always put a circle is normal or a wear indicator and 2.) If I'll be able to find a good starter with a bendix drive in good condition after a few days and then the starting will go nice, however if not then maybe it's not the starter that has the problem, so I will have to check also other parts of the vehicle.

Will keep you guys posted next time. As of now, it starts but there's this short slipping sound at the beginning. I'm still looking for a surplus starter or a brand new bendix drive from the casa. Will update everyone soon! Thanks!
    i am reminded of our old car. starting her wasn't consistent. binaba na namin yung starter nang ilang beses...
    finally, for an un-related reason, binaba namin yung trans housing. dun lang namin nakita... bingkong nang kaunti yung starter mount! kaya pala...!

10. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i am reminded of our old car. starting her wasn't consistent. binaba na namin yung starter nang ilang beses...
    finally, for an un-related reason, binaba namin yung trans housing. dun lang namin nakita... bingkong nang kaunti yung starter mount! kaya pala...!
    Noted sir. Will have it checked also sa susunod na pa-check up. As for the bearings, hmmm. Just a newbie question, does the clutch can have something to do with this? Malapit na din kasi ako magpalit ng buong clutch assembly since nararamdaman ko na yung drop sa performance ng clutch as well as the worn out release bearing.

Hindi ko nga po alam kung ano ang problema nito eh. IMO, kelangan ko talaga sumali sa mga Hilux Club or Hilux threads sa forum, baka may kapareho ako ng problema. Sana, for the 3rd time kung makakuha kami ng new parts be it a surplus starter or brand new bendix drive, hindi na siya magloko or else madami na naman babaklasin. Hehe.

Anyway, may thread po ata dito for Hilux, diba po sir? I will try to join there. Will still keep you updated guys about this issue para meron tayong technical reference sa future for our fellow tsikoteers and Hilux owners.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast