New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Ermat's car these days is more of a garage queen, and when she drives, puro short trips pa.

I noticed na tamad mag crank, the battery has just lapsed its warranty period of 15 months.

We moved and there is no easy access anymore to a wall outlet for an AC-based maintainer so I charged the battery by disconnecting and bringing it inside the house. Load test is OK

After a few months ganun nanaman, so I researched and many US-based people with several cars do maintain their batteries with solar products.

Wala pa kasi akong nakitang thread with the similar topic so I opened this one.

I created a longer wire run from the batt up to the solar panel kasi the included clamps are too short, and the included cigarette lighter socket can't be used as the socket has no power if the key is off.

(yes, under a shade yung natirang parking spot kagabi)

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    "trickle charging."
    tell us what happens, po.

i don't trickle-charge, but i shut down the compressor two corners from our street, and the headlights as i open our gate, in an effort to put in some juice before i shut her down for the night.
    so far, our battery dies a few exasperating weeks after the warranty lapses.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 18th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    i instruct her to turn off the compressor pag malapit na but for a different reason, and that is to dry the evaporator. on other cars kasi nagiging mabaho kinabukasan yung AC so naging habit na.

minsan less than 5KMs ang roundtrips nya so it's a very short time for the alternator to recharge the batt.

am considering to upsize the battery also if it needs replacing

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Upsizing the battery might strain the alternator ... Also consider that it will take longer to charge a larger battery ...

5. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    I use a 12v, 20-watt solar panel coupled to a 10 A PWM solar charge controller. The setup closely mimics a 0.75 A smart battery tender.

The panel outputs a safe trickle from 0.6 A to 0.9 A and can be adjusted for bulk (> 12.8V), saturation (12.8 to 13.7V), and float charge mode (=>13.8).

Solar charge controller: 3A 12V / 24V LCD Intelligence Auto Regulate PWM Solar Battery Charge Controller | Lazada or from your friendly neighborhood solar hardware store (>300 petot).

As such, set-up can be left connected to car battery with no danger of harmful over-charging and destructive plate gassing. Keeps battery in peak condition and helps control sulfation with zero carbon footprint. Practical for garage/parking with no AC outlets or even field/outdoor use.
    (huwag lang manakaw Lol 😨)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk