New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Just pulling your leg doc.

Pretty sure the venting happened before charging since this was the first time the batteries were hooked up to the charger. The batteries already had residue on them when I first popped the hood.

Just wondering. Has any battery failed you despite maintenance during the warranty period?
    heh heh.

once, i was able to get a new battery, because my old battery failed one month before the warranty lapsed. "i was so happy."
    there was nothing to maintain, as it was one of those "maintenance-free" batteries.
    there was nothing wrong with my charging system. it was plain battery failure.

on three occasions that i can remember,
    my battery failed because my alternator failed and couldn't charge the battery.
    when the alternator got fixed, the battery re-gained its composure.

in our experience,
    the white residue around our battery terminal was traced to a crack in the battery's cell. obviously, someone did it wrong, when it did/undid the battery cable.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 8th, 2020 at 02:14 PM.

2. Join Date
    May 2017
    Just bought an Elevo Battery Charger at a Concorde Shop in SM.

I found in the manual that says:

1.) Attach a 24-inch length #6AWG insulated battery cable to the negative battery post
    2.) Connect the positive clamp to positive post.
    3.) Connect the negative clamp to the to the free end of this #6AWG battery cable connected to the negative battery terminal.

Can I not just connect the negative clamp DIRECTLY to the negative battery post, like no more need for that #6AWG wire?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    heh heh.

once, i was able to get a new battery, because my old battery failed one month before the warranty lapsed. "i was so happy."
    there was nothing to maintain, as it was one of those "maintenance-free" batteries.
    there was nothing wrong with my charging system. it was plain battery failure.

on three occasions that i can remember,
    my battery failed because my alternator failed and couldn't charge the battery.
    when the alternator got fixed, the battery re-gained its composure.

in our experience,
    the white residue around our battery terminal was traced to a crack in the battery's cell. obviously, someone did it wrong, when it did/undid the battery cable.
    But most locally available "maintenance free" batteries aren't really MF. If you can pop the top covers off, it's not maintenance free. Motolite conveniently hides the ports with that "Do not remove sticker". "SMF" means semi-maintenance free.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    Just bought an Elevo Battery Charger at a Concorde Shop in SM.

I found in the manual that says:

1.) Attach a 24-inch length #6AWG insulated battery cable to the negative battery post
    2.) Connect the positive clamp to positive post.
    3.) Connect the negative clamp to the to the free end of this #6AWG battery cable connected to the negative battery terminal.

Can I not just connect the negative clamp DIRECTLY to the negative battery post, like no more need for that #6AWG wire?
    i connect directly.
    i do not remember the safety issue involved.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    But most locally available "maintenance free" batteries aren't really MF. If you can pop the top covers off, it's not maintenance free. Motolite conveniently hides the ports with that "Do not remove sticker". "SMF" means semi-maintenance free.
    i am not about to theorize on what the corporation was thinking, when they designed their battery.
    but i am concerned about the possible loss of warranty if i tear at the warning sticker, and the battery dies within the warranty period. sayang rin naman ang libreng bagong replacement battery...

personally, i suspect that were i to open the filler holes of these so-called MF batteries and inspect the electrolyte levels halfway down the warranty period, the battery will have low water levels that will necessitate adding water.
    i believe that if i were to add water, my battery will still be alive even after the warranty period.
    but these are my thoughts only.

heh heh.

there's also LM, "low maintancance".
    Last edited by dr. d; June 10th, 2020 at 11:34 PM.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Just received my ordered FOXSUR 7stage Smart Battery Charger...Looks decent including its box and all inclusive connectors. From the looks of it it is a direct cloned ng CTEK, though a lot bigger in dimension si Foxsur. Tested it for 2days in a row to 2 of my cars and it seems working as it should, the charger gets a bit warm but no worries daw as it has its own Thermal proctect, currently nakaFloat charge sya sa Everest ko now.

My only gripe is the AC electrical cord is too short, had to get an extension cable pa.. Hoping matibay and serves for many years..

12V 2A 4A 8A 7-stage smart Battery Charger, GEL WET AGM Battery type & Charge current selectable, Car battery charger, View 12V 2A 4A 8A 7-stage smart Battery Charger, Foxsur Product Details from Foxsur Electronic Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs View Post
    Just received my ordered FOXSUR 7stage Smart Battery Charger...Looks decent including its box and all inclusive connectors. From the looks of it it is a direct cloned ng CTEK, though a lot bigger in dimension si Foxsur. Tested it for 2days in a row to 2 of my cars and it seems working as it should, the charger gets a bit warm but no worries daw as it has its own Thermal proctect, currently nakaFloat charge sya sa Everest ko now.

My only gripe is the AC electrical cord is too short, had to get an extension cable pa.. Hoping matibay and serves for many years..

12V 2A 4A 8A 7-stage smart Battery Charger, GEL WET AGM Battery type & Charge current selectable, Car battery charger, View 12V 2A 4A 8A 7-stage smart Battery Charger, Foxsur Product Details from Foxsur Electronic Equipment Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com
    the final test of these intelligent chargers, is the increased lifespan of the batteries.
    this should be evident in the far future.
    pray you remember to feed us.

splice up the short cord, with an adequately long cord. para hindi na hassle ang extension cord.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

there's also LM, "low maintancance".

I see... I thought LM means Little Missy. [emoji3]

Is she still here and active?

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I see... I thought LM means Little Missy. [emoji3]

Is she still here and active?
    LM.
    Little Missy.
    Low maintenance.
    is there something i am not connecting?

apologies to LM.
    couldn't resist.
    kasalanan ni arch, for bringing it up.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Looks like it is really true na kapag mostly nakapark lang and long duration i.e. 2weeks not Run ang Car the battery degrades. I have this Lancol Battery Tester and just before the lockdown manage to get a data..Battery Health =92% Internal R = 4.50mOhm (March12) Today the reading are: Battery Health =87% and Internal R = 4.65mOhm. Both were tested *98% charge state of my 6month Old Amaron Battery. When this battery was installed also took a baseline reading using same Batt. Tester and Health *100% and Battery internal R =4.23mOhm.

Will observe in a month time if meron degradation pa. It seems my defective blendor motor is really draining my battery.