New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Pinoy Ingenuity! Galing Sir! Ma try nga sa Genset Battery namin, nasira na kasi yung float charger nya. I believe pareho din naman yung functions nya.
    Just an update on this. Already tried the UPS on our Genset 8D battery for about 20 hours, of course it was tested away from the equipment, battery being pulled out. Prior charging, the battery had a voltage output of 12.96 only and after 20 hours of charging it was 13.89 volts already. This is considered pretty slow (charging). The UPS transformer temp had a continuous/longer operating temp, as compared to its normal operation, this is considerable as it needs to charge a whole lot bigger battery. Wire temp is normal, no high temp at all. Checked the wire current and it registers 0.3 amps only, which is very safe for its size. I will try to continuously charge this and further observe the parameters, I know this will be safe as the UPS has this trickle feature which will not over charge the battery (I hope I am correct with this ). The only negative downfall I can see here is that the UPS transformer life will be shorter, as it is stressed due to load it needs to sustain, I guess I'll just have to rely on the built in fuse in the UPS just in case. Given the outcome of the experiment, so far its a success. I've so far saved an at least 10k if I had to buy a trickle charger. Thanks for sharing Sir aioshin!

On a side note, of course I need to disconnect the UPS from the battery during genset start-ups.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Just an update on this. Already tried the UPS on our Genset 8D battery for about 20 hours, of course it was tested away from the equipment, battery being pulled out. Prior charging, the battery had a voltage output of 12.96 only and after 20 hours of charging it was 13.89 volts already. This is considered pretty slow (charging). The UPS transformer temp had a continuous/longer operating temp, as compared to its normal operation, this is considerable as it needs to charge a whole lot bigger battery. Wire temp is normal, no high temp at all. Checked the wire current and it registers 0.3 amps only, which is very safe for its size. I will try to continuously charge this and further observe the parameters, I know this will be safe as the UPS has this trickle feature which will not over charge the battery (I hope I am correct with this ). The only negative downfall I can see here is that the UPS transformer life will be shorter, as it is stressed due to load it needs to sustain, I guess I'll just have to rely on the built in fuse in the UPS just in case. Given the outcome of the experiment, so far its a success. I've so far saved an at least 10k if I had to buy a trickle charger. Thanks for sharing Sir aioshin!

On a side note, of course I need to disconnect the UPS from the battery during genset start-ups.

Wow, 20 hours, glad to hear that it's working though...

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    may nakagawa na ba laptop charger 19v, converted to work on car batt?

4. Join Date
    Jun 2011

Why not just buy Genset Trickle charger? 10K lang naman yun...? And will last for 10 years na... less hassle and hindi ka na mag iisip na hindi tatakbo genset mo when needed...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    buying is always the easier option.
    but i admire those who manage to successfully adapt what they already have, sitting around in the house, for something else than what it was originally designed for.
    of course, safety is always an issue, but if one knows what one is doing...

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn manikis View Post
    Why not just buy Genset Trickle charger? 10K lang naman yun...? And will last for 10 years na... less hassle and hindi ka na mag iisip na hindi tatakbo genset mo when needed...
    Yes given its 10k only it is surely logical. But we do have plenty of defective UPS such as what I used as stated above. Sustainability (recycling) na din than just dumping them. Heck we survived 5 years without a trickle charger, just plain old ordinary charger which needs to be closely monitored until the battery was completely charged up. This recycling not only helped the environment on another waste to be dumped, but has provided us more convenience than using an ordinary charger... without spending on anything! Cheers!

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    buying is always the easier option.
    but i admire those who manage to successfully adapt what they already have, sitting around in the house, for something else than what it was originally designed for.
    of course, safety is always an issue, but if one knows what one is doing...
    +1 on this dr. d. And yes you have to know what you're doing. Also before doing this, you have to do trials in a safe environment before the actual installations. Hey, does I sound like a salesman of aioshin's idea? Thanks again for the shared ingenuity!

8. Join Date
    Jul 2016

Pede mo lagyan relay ung starter signal and alternator output para mag off ups supply while cranking and running genset.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Janemar View Post
    Pede mo lagyan relay ung starter signal and alternator output para mag off ups supply while cranking and running genset.
    Ah yes, this is doable. Thanks Chief Janemar!

10. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Just to start, I can remove one of my solar system batteries.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast