New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    [SIZE=3]Vehicle: Starex GRX 2004 TCI[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Mileage: 137,000km[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Battery: Motolite Gold, 14 months old[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Alternator never opened and never encountered any problem before. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Current Problem: Whenever the vehicle is not started for at least 2 days yung battery charge indicator lights up. While indicator light is on, voltage ay 12.3 to 12.5 lang. Hindi siya bumababa sa range na iyon kahit buksan pa ang air con. Pag pinatakbo na ng at least 5 kilometer, nawawala iyong ilaw at pag nawala na, nagiging 14.3 to 14.5v na ang voltage. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Palaging ganun, pero lately, na observe ko, after mawala iyong ilaw hindi kaagad tumataas ang voltage. Tataas lang siya pag pinatakbo pa uli ng mas malayo. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Nagpapalit na po ako ng alternator belt, na check at tama naman ang higpit nito.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Normal po ba ito? I’m thinking, hindi ba IC na ito? Kung IC naman, bakit ok pa rin naman ang charging niya pag nagumpisa na siyang mag charge. Ano po sa tingin niyo?[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gildred View Post
    [SIZE=3]Vehicle: Starex GRX 2004 TCI[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Mileage: 137,000km[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Battery: Motolite Gold, 14 months old[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Alternator never opened and never encountered any problem before. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Current Problem: Whenever the vehicle is not started for at least 2 days yung battery charge indicator lights up. While indicator light is on, voltage ay 12.3 to 12.5 lang. Hindi siya bumababa sa range na iyon kahit buksan pa ang air con. Pag pinatakbo na ng at least 5 kilometer, nawawala iyong ilaw at pag nawala na, nagiging 14.3 to 14.5v na ang voltage. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Palaging ganun, pero lately, na observe ko, after mawala iyong ilaw hindi kaagad tumataas ang voltage. Tataas lang siya pag pinatakbo pa uli ng mas malayo. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Nagpapalit na po ako ng alternator belt, na check at tama naman ang higpit nito.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Normal po ba ito? I’m thinking, hindi ba IC na ito? Kung IC naman, bakit ok pa rin naman ang charging niya pag nagumpisa na siyang mag charge. Ano po sa tingin niyo?[/SIZE]

gildred,
    sounds like your battery is going or yiour battery terminals have too much voltage drop at the terminals. before purchasing a new replacement battery, perform these tests:
    1-check battery surface charge voltage in the morning before attempting to start the engine;
    2-check the battery surface charge voltage after warming the engine up and shut engine down; compare the two(take notes)
    3-perform voltage drop between the negative battery terminal by probing the battery post and the battery terminal clamp(positive test lead on the negative battery cable, the negative lead on the negative battery post(take note of voltage-should not exceed 0.3 volts) while cranking the engine over with the ECM or the EFI fuse to disable engine from starting and delivering fuel to the chambers;
    4- perform similar test on between positive battery post and the positive battery cable clamp tester polarity reversed, the positive test probe on the cable clamp and the negative test probe on the positive battery post, voltage drop reading should not exceed 0.2 volts;
    5-check battery voltage without any load- reading should be between 11.9 to 12.6 volts.
    if voltage readings are below specs, replace with a known good battery and perform similar test
    jick

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Looks like there is an intermittent short in your line. Your reading of 12.xV is not normal for a healthy battery. It should be 13.8V or near that level....

OT: Whew! 137KKm for a 2004 GRX? Nanliit ako riyan dahil gamit na gamit iyan... My 2005 is only 47KKm.......

8404:duel:

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    get your charging system checked by any reputable electrical shop .

a qualified shop only takes 5 minutes to pinpoint the problem as long as there's no draw coming from the loads

here is the tip;

cranking test , at least 10v
    less than 9.6v ,batt problem

at idle w/o load at least 14.5 v
    *idle with loads at least 14v

it looks like the alternator is going the way your vehicle is acting up.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I performed a few tests similar to the tips mentioned above and the result is telling me that the battery is healthy. I forgot to mention that this problem has started around September last year. I just ignore it everytime it happens. Anyway, kahit minsan hindi umabot sa situation na di na siya mapaandar. It became a greater concern to me now kasi nagiging madalas na na stock siya for a few days so palagi ring lumalabas yong problem. I know that if I don't make a move now, it can become a headache to me sooner or later.