New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    yet there is voltage downstream of the ammeter (from the switch up to the positive and negative terminal of the coil)

copy, there is voltage to the positive and negative terminals of the ignition coil. then, there is an open link between the ignition coil and the distributor and to ground. you car's problem is in the primary circuit. chec the voltae drops across the terminal 15 (positive side of the coil) and voltage drop across the negative side of the coil when the points open.
    given a battery voltage of 12.4V, voltage reading across terminal 15 and 1 is 10.8V. (across the coil primary winding)

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    now i dont trust my 20/20 vision. decided to remove contact points and indeed the moving point has transferred material to the stationary point. i don't know what the problem was but i got intermittent spark when i changed the ignition coil. it fired up right away after some moments with the points.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    So. Changing the ignition coil solved your problem. Mukhang okay naman testing mo sa primary circuit. Probably open or shorted high voltage winding or secondary circuit ang problem ng ignition coil.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinoi View Post
    So. Changing the ignition coil solved your problem. Mukhang okay naman testing mo sa primary circuit. Probably open or shorted high voltage winding or secondary circuit ang problem ng ignition coil.
    could be. new coil (bosch) primary is 3.9 ohms while secondary is 7.9kohms. old coil's primary resistance reading was jumpy on my tester.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123