New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief's, Guru's,

A pleasant day! Just would like to ask if I can use my car without a ballast in my ignition coil? Will it damage my coil or any electricals connected to the system? I know it was designed and installed for a purpose, but I was thinking maybe without it, it can increase the voltage output thus improving the combustion. Gusto ko lang kasing mag experiment baka mas maganda ang epekto
    Your replies will be very much apprciated. Thanks and more power!

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Chief's, Guru's,

A pleasant day! Just would like to ask if I can use my car without a ballast in my ignition coil? Will it damage my coil or any electricals connected to the system? I know it was designed and installed for a purpose, but I was thinking maybe without it, it can increase the voltage output thus improving the combustion. Gusto ko lang kasing mag experiment baka mas maganda ang epekto
    Chiefs, up please on my quiry. Thanks

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    baka you have answered your question in your post sir kaya the guru's are not responding. heres an informative link http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64412 jicks #4 post might be the answer, i have tried using a lower than spec resistor and found out that my points doesnt last that long but the benefits youre looking is there.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jvnj View Post
    Chief's, Guru's,

Pros and Cons removing ballast of ignition coil.
    Pros= slight improvement of spark plug firing voltage.
    Cons= ignition coil will easily overheat and damage, ignition coil will emit electrical noise to your car radio and ECU.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief Bongski214 and Chief Chinoi,

Thank you very much for your comments on this.
    Chief Bongski, though as you've mentioned that I might already answered my question, I just wanted to be sure lang on the step that I'll be doing, confirmation lang po kung baga. Actually, I'm just looking for small ways to improve my combustion by doing simple thing/s, may article din po kasi ako na nabasa na hindi nya kinabit yung resistor pero ok naman auto nya. Though he didn't mention kung nasira o tumagal ba yung system nya. Surely Sir, your experience with the failing or short life of contact points are very enlightening
    Chief Chinoi, thank you for the simple but precise comments.

Chief Bongski, Chief Chinoi, thank you very much again for your replies!
    I guess I'll have to keep my resistor then

Ignition Coil Ballast