New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    I’d like to ask po if safe to use ang silicone spray sa contact points ng mga wires. Nakalagay sa description ng spray na pwede sa battery terminals. I know may electronic parts cleaner. Gusto ko rin mag last longer yung plastic. Sa previous and old car ko kasi, nagiging brittle or soft.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyukoy View Post
    I’d like to ask po if safe to use ang silicone spray sa contact points ng mga wires. Nakalagay sa description ng spray na pwede sa battery terminals. I know may electronic parts cleaner. Gusto ko rin mag last longer yung plastic. Sa previous and old car ko kasi, nagiging brittle or soft.
    to maintain good electrical continuity, contact cleaner. "leaves no residues." available in electronics stores, atbp.
    but, i imagine, sandpaper would be just as good.'
    it all depends on where you will use them.

battery terminals? soap and water for me. but! i have good experience with today's low-maintenance and no-maintenance batteries. they seldom leak anymore, unlike before, when cleaning the posts of "asin" was a regular chore, as well as seeing if the upper hood metal is already rusting and needs help.

errr... ano po ang nagiging brittle or soft? yung plastic? most plastics get brittle or soft, when they get hot. i am not aware of a good anti-brittle or anti-heat treatment for plastics. what i do, is to insulate them from heat, or find the reason why they are getting hot.
    what i do, is to wrap the heat-prone wiring segments with electrical plastic tape.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 14th, 2018 at 08:25 PM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i never found any good use for silicone spray

to prevent corrosion on electrical connections use silicone grease

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    i never found any good use for silicone spray

to prevent corrosion on electrical connections use silicone grease
    Car applications: Window tracks, wiper blades, weather strips, general body lubrication (locks, ignition, latches, hinges, etc.)

Everyday applications: Flashlights (O-rings and cap/head screws), firearms, tools,... just off the top of my head.

Silicone spray is clean, does not quite attract dirt as much as WD40 does, and it doesn't have an unpleasant smell. I only use WD40 as a penetrant for rusted items I need dislodged.

BTT:

There are battery contact cleaners and battery contact protectors available from Handyman and/or ACE HW. I have the "Cyclo" brand: (Battery Cleaner & Acid Leak Detector << Cyclo Industries)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Silicon spray gamit ko sa gate namin.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    mas matagal ba, kaysa grasa or... old engine oil?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Car applications: Window tracks, wiper blades, weather strips, general body lubrication (locks, ignition, latches, hinges, etc.)

Everyday applications: Flashlights (O-rings and cap/head screws), firearms, tools,... just off the top of my head.

window tracks, weather stripping: i use cotton buds soaked in silicone oil. silicone spray just shoots all over the place

for metal-on-metal lubrication silicone is a very poor choice. but for plastic gears it is acceptable for light-duty applications

flashlight o-rings i use SuperLube grease, again the silicone spray shoots all over. and silicone lube shouldn't be used on silicone o-rings

guns i use ATF from a needle applicator

silicone would be abysmal on bicycle chain, so i use gear oil + kerosene

so that's why i haven't found a good use for silicone spray, coz there are better products out there

Quote Originally Posted by zechs View Post
    again silicone is very poor for metal-on-metal

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyukoy View Post
    Not good for low voltage application as silicon residue will just attract dirt. Silicon maybe used to lubricate or shield from oxidants or seal from cathodic reaction, but most of the times they are for high current applications like battery terminal and moving contacts. It may even not be wise to use them in dissimilar metals ie copper and aluminum as the physics says one metal becomes sacrificial anode hence accelerating the decay and eventually the silicon paste becomes a suspension of green and white jelly dirt..

Use appropriate electronic contact cleaner like CRC brand. Most ordinary contacts are either lead coated or copper, for low voltages and sensitive parts its gold-plated (for corrosion resistance). Sometimes a semi oxidized electronic contact maybe cleaned with pencil eraser and dry cloth.

If you just want to lubricate the plastic/rubber locks,slides, slots of the connector then its fine, i'd recommend silicon paste as the spray leaves a white or yellow powdery residue. Spray is better on weather stripping and hard-to-reach rubber/plastic areas.
    Last edited by 12vdc; October 15th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Not good for low voltage application as silicon residue will just attract dirt. Silicon maybe used to lubricate or shield from oxidants or seal from cathodic reaction, but most of the times they are for high current applications like battery terminal and moving contacts. It may even not be wise to use them in dissimilar metals ie copper and aluminum as the physics says one metal becomes sacrificial anode hence accelerating the decay and eventually the silicon paste becomes a suspension of green and white jelly dirt..

Use appropriate electronic contact cleaner like CRC brand. Most ordinary contacts are either lead coated or copper, for low voltages and sensitive parts its gold-plated (for corrosion resistance). Sometimes a semi oxidized electronic contact maybe cleaned with pencil eraser and dry cloth.

If you just want to lubricate the plastic/rubber locks,slides, slots of the connector then its fine, i'd recommend silicon paste as the spray leaves a white or yellow powdery residue. Spray is better on weather stripping and hard-to-reach rubber/plastic areas.

silicone, not silicon

silicone not recommended for moving contacts. the electrical arcing turns silicone into non-conductive abrasive deposits

silicone not recommended for joining copper to aluminum

again it's SILICONE, not silicon

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    got it!
    if valley, silicon.
    if implant, silicone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Electronic Parts cleaner