New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Hello! An overspeeding motorcycle crashed into my car (*%#$!), smashed in the right side of the front bumper, leaving that side quite open, approx 3-inch wide x 1 foot length gap near the right headlight.

Wala lang time dalhin sa insurance ko/casa for now-- is it okay to leave it as it is? Or is there any danger leaving it open to be rained on wrt electronics and/or wirings (especially of lights) and others? Car is an Altis A/T, if it matters. Or should I tape the hell out of it to keep rain out?

TIA! Hope everyone's dry and inside today!

2. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Check the wires. If the wires dont have insuation anymore, you need to put electrical tapes first. Otherwise, its all good.

Upload a picture for eaay reference

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    Hello! An overspeeding motorcycle crashed into my car (*%#$!), smashed in the right side of the front bumper, leaving that side quite open, approx 3-inch wide x 1 foot length gap near the right headlight.

Wala lang time dalhin sa insurance ko/casa for now-- is it okay to leave it as it is? Or is there any danger leaving it open to be rained on wrt electronics and/or wirings (especially of lights) and others? Car is an Altis A/T, if it matters. Or should I tape the hell out of it to keep rain out?

i have a 2003.
    there's nothing much behind my front bumper.
    there's the wiring for the bumper foglight...
    i'd cover the damaged part with similar-color duct tape. it helps keep the insides clean.
    everyone loves duct-taped cars. (go NASCAR!)

see to it that the fender undercover isn't flapping around like a butterfly, as continuous flapping while driving might damage it or just tear it off.
    Last edited by dr. d; December 3rd, 2019 at 08:47 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post

start the insurance process. theyre responsible for every repair needed.

all connectors in the engine bay is sealed against water but if you can cover the hole with plastic and tape then itd be better.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    StockEngine- regarding insurance, I have a comprehensive policy. Can I insist they change the entire bumper, or will they have the right to insist to just repair the existing damage? And in case I can have it replaced, can I ask for to keep this old one?

sirkosero and dr.d - it's 2010, not so new, not so old... the wires seem insulated, although I worry that while driving in the rain, the water enters through the big gap and into the other engine parts due to the horizontal direction of water movement (relative to the car movement)? Wala bang di dapat mabasa dun?

Fender cover is intact-- thanks! went to check on that specifically!

Thanks!

b2.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bumper.jpg  
    Last edited by advan; December 5th, 2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Added picto show gap

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i don't think there's much in there that can be damaged by a little sprinkling of splash or rain water.
    check if the foglight wiring is intact.
    i think there are a couple of white plastic liquid cannisters in there, for engine accessory liquids. are they cracked?
    the bumper is plastic, so it won't rust. ever.
    some workers are skilled with the heat gun and might be able to put your bumper back into its original shape. otherwise, you will have to replace the bumper. be mindful also, you will have to replace the bumper holding brackets. i do not know how insurance will charge you for these.

insurance. if the insurance is to source a brand new bumper for you, they will not charge you for the bumper. but they will charge you for depreciation. what does this mean? if a brand new bumper costs 1000 bucks, and a surplus, used bumper of similar year costs 200 bucks, they will charge you 800 kesos for depreciation. but if you can provide your own bumper replacement part, they won't charge you depreciation.

in the meantime, silver duct tape it, po. it'll look nicer.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    They will replace that bumper. 100% sure.

Also, after the pictures have been taken, you can just pull down the bumper entirely and pop the dent. That way, you may still be able to reattach it to the bumper clips by the fender and drive the car safely while waiting for the insurance to do their thing.