New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Not really useless. I have one installed on my car. One morning it read 11.8 volts. And true enough, may hesitation sa pag start.

Was supposed to go straight to a motolite dealer to buy a battery, dunno why i stupidly detoured to fillup with gas. Ayun ayaw na magstart after ko magpa karga. Good thing the gas station had a battery booster device of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^P100,000 din ba halaga ng battery analyzer mo?

i dont waste my money on voltage analyzer, my brain can analyze it for free, i just need a voltmeter

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook C202SA using Tapatalk
    I agree with the volt meter, it's actually what the battery shops use to test starting current.

Di ko kaya bumili Ng 100k na analyzer bro, what I got was the same unit as OJs, nagloloko lang to the point na dinala ko pa sa casa kahit bago Ang battery to have the electrical system checked which they would gladly accommodate for 1.5k plus pumila ka at mag antay ng 1 whole day. So I did the next best thing, brought it to an electrical shop and a battery shop, both found nothing wrong.

Fast forward 7 months later, battery is fine. Does a voltmeter (using the cigarette lighter plug) help us determine the health of the car battery?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
    Kung ang problema lang naman is the battery dying at the worst possible time, why not just invest in a jumpstarter powerbank or a pair of jumper cables? Or, as some like to do it, replace the battery (working or not) after a certain number of months/years.

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than any battery analyzer. Unless merong plano na pagkakitaan ang analyzer. No need to get all scientific about it, imo.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

mura lang batt analyzer. it's not rocket science. i'm still wondering how Midtronics can get away w/ selling their super expensive analyzers

what if i told you that my smartphone-connected analyzer costs less than a jump starter "powerbank" gadget (but costs more than jump cables). but i do get your point. not all people are geeks (so i do have multiple jump powerbanks, multiple jumper cables, and an analyzer)

4. Join Date
    May 2017
    Digital Voltmeter (testing the car battery itself) = mura lang ito mga less than 500pesos sa Robinsons Handyman
    = can test the state of charge of battery (ideal is 12.6 volts and above)
    = this is the most important, can see the cranking volts when starting the car, like for example showing a below 8.5volts mean malapit na palitan ang battery
    = can also test the alternator if it is charging the battery (should be showing 13.6 volts and above) (below 12.6volts means there might be something wrong with the alternator) (over 15 volts means the alternator is overcharging the battery and the regulator needs to be fixed)

Cigarette Voltmeter = can see the state of charge
    = can see the alternator charging
    = But does not show the cranking volts
    = mga 990 pesos nakita ko sa Concorde

Battery Analyzer = mga 5,900 pesos meron sa Blade Autoshop. Mas makakamura ka pa sa Lazada mga 2,500 lang siguro makakakita ka na doon.
    = can see the number of functioning Amperes (CCA)
    = can show the State of Charge, SoHealth
    = shows a more accurate cranking volts for the Cranking Amps
    = shows the Internal Resistance
    = can perform a ripple test if there is too much A/C current that can destroy the electrical system.

You are better off buying the battery analyzer or digital voltmeter than the cigarette voltmeter

5. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Short answer, no.

Long answer: Battery health is a function of a lot of different parameters, a few of which are as follows:

Internal resistance

Voltage is probably the last parameter to 'give' when it comes to battery health. A bad battery could have good open-terminal voltage but as soon as you put a load (ie. start the vehicle), a battery with a relatively high internal resistance will cause the voltage to drop and by extension, reduce the current to below what is required to start the engine.

Ano po yung magandang range ng Internal Resistance? Nakikita ko sa Car ko around 5 Internal Resistance niya. Ano yung maximum and minimum na range dapat? Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    Ano po yung magandang range ng Internal Resistance? Nakikita ko sa Car ko around 5 Internal Resistance niya. Ano yung maximum and minimum na range dapat? Thanks!
    The lower the better. I don't know the magic number but as the battery ages, the internal resistance goes up. I suggest that you just get a battery analyzer to remove the guesswork.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/n...QGzD5&search=1

7. Join Date
    May 2017
    nabasa ko lang sa internet "High resistance causes the battery to heat up and the voltage to drop under load, triggering an early shutdown"

8. Join Date
    May 2017
    Ok, basta an internal resistance of 4 and 5 is normal

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Health of battery: no

Health of alternator: yes

There are 12.5V terminal voltage battery that won't crank the starter simply because it has the Voltage but not enough juice/Current.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Health of battery: no
    True.

Health of alternator: yes
    Which is not quite of value to the driver as there's already a dedicated go or no-go idiot lamp for the state of the charging system.

There are 12.5V terminal voltage battery that won't crank the starter simply because it has the Voltage but not enough juice/Current.
    In other words, a worn battery's CCA have dropped significantly.

The reason being, when there's a demand for current, a high internal resistance battery will cause its voltage to drop well below what is necessary to start the vehicle. This is even though the battery may still have enough capacity. Once the internal resistance gets to a certain point, you can only relegate it to run low current accessories.

That's why some old batteries can still be re-purposed for use to power emergency lights.
    Last edited by oj88; March 12th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Does a voltmeter (using the cigarette lighter plug) help us determine the health of the car battery?