New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Back in Sept. 2017, I bought a Motolite Gold 21 for my 2009 Kia Picanto (MT). It died on me this month which is sadly not within warranty. So I traded it in for a new one. However, I think this will be my last one because with a trade in discount this battery is freaking expensive at P4,400.

I was wondering if there is any cheaper alternatives to this battery that's available locally? I'm from Cebu by the way.

My Kia Picanto has one of those locking mechanism in the battery tray that clamps to a tab at the bottom of the battery so I can't just go for the cheaper brands because I can't secure it to the battery tray since the cheaper one I've looked into do not have that tab on the bottom. Most battery brands I've looked also do not have this tab at the bottom. The tab I'm talking about is the one circled in red in the attached picture.

I really wanted to go with the cheaper Enduro but it did not have this tab. It was cheaper by P1,000 than the Gold 21. I was also considering a Panasonic battery but it also did not have the tab.

So here I am now asking folks here for help and feedback if there are any other cheaper alternatives for my future battery purchase for this car? If it helps the Picanto is my daily driver to work (Mondays to Fridays averaging 30KM a day). City driving.

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ix4bvo7.jpg  

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    show it to the battery guys yet?
    i am confident, they have a solution for you...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
    Back in Sept. 2017, I bought a Motolite Gold 21 for my 2009 Kia Picanto (MT). It died on me this month which is sadly not within warranty. So I traded it in for a new one. However, I think this will be my last one because with a trade in discount this battery is freaking expensive at P4,400.

I was wondering if there is any cheaper alternatives to this battery that's available locally? I'm from Cebu by the way.

My Kia Picanto has one of those locking mechanism in the battery tray that clamps to a tab at the bottom of the battery so I can't just go for the cheaper brands because I can't secure it to the battery tray since the cheaper one I've looked into do not have that tab on the bottom. Most battery brands I've looked also do not have this tab at the bottom. The tab I'm talking about is the one circled in red in the attached picture.

I really wanted to go with the cheaper Enduro but it did not have this tab. It was cheaper by P1,000 than the Gold 21. I was also considering a Panasonic battery but it also did not have the tab.

So here I am now asking folks here for help and feedback if there are any other cheaper alternatives for my future battery purchase for this car? If it helps the Picanto is my daily driver to work (Mondays to Fridays averaging 30KM a day). City driving.

Thanks for any help.
    I think that's a Kia-thing, the lockdown is at the bottom. My Sorento also has that. Didn't know Enduro doesn't have the cut-out tab at the bottom. I use Gold too, they last +3 months after the stated warranty, w/c I think is the same as yours.

I think you can use the Enduro, but you will need to modify you mounting bracket into the generic battery tie down (cross-bar with 2 hooks). It should be a cheap fix.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    show it to the battery guys yet?
    i am confident, they have a solution for you...
    If you mean the battery guys at the store they only offered me the same battery. Discouraged me in fact from going to another brand or another model because of the locking mechanism and all.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    I have the same kia/hyundai feature but at least the batteries here aren't that expensive.

heres what you need to get those lesser priced priced batteries.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    I have the same kia/hyundai feature but at least the batteries here aren't that expensive.

Thats what I had in mind. He will just have to modify it by shortening the brackets.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    meron din nyan sa Lazada...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    If you mean the battery guys at the store they only offered me the same battery. Discouraged me in fact from going to another brand or another model because of the locking mechanism and all.
    i can not imagine how your vehicle chooses batteries that will fit it.
    in the olden days, a piece of thick plywood and slight modification of the L-clamps...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009

Thanks for any help.
    kung 1000pesos ang difference I would gladly spring for the gold. the one time I used the enduro it did not last long for me however some people I know are happy with theirs. Amaron ayaw mo i-try?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast