New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I own an AE101, A/T.

Last two days, my car starts but silently; there's a minimal to no cranking of the engine when I turn on the ignition. I have it checked at an auto mechanic that sells battery and says that I need it to be replaced. He checked the water levels on my battery (a maintenance-free one) and said that one of its reservoir is below level because of something is already diminishing (i forgot what it was) and he also states that at 300 amps the battery voltage drops to 8 when it should stay at the 10 - 12 range.

The problem: I don't trust the mechanic wholly. I just read somewhere that a silent start could also mean a bad starter.

Did anyone experienced the same? What is really the problem of my car? If it is both, with budget constraints, do I need to have the battery replaced first or have the starter fixed?

thanks in advance for the opinions!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by georges View Post
    I own an AE101, A/T.

Last two days, my car starts but silently; there's a minimal to no cranking of the engine when I turn on the ignition. I have it checked at an auto mechanic that sells battery and says that I need it to be replaced. He checked the water levels on my battery (a maintenance-free one) and said that one of its reservoir is below level because of something is already diminishing (i forgot what it was) and he also states that at 300 amps the battery voltage drops to 8 when it should stay at the 10 - 12 range.

The problem: I don't trust the mechanic wholly. I just read somewhere that a silent start could also mean a bad starter.

Did anyone experienced the same? What is really the problem of my car? If it is both, with budget constraints, do I need to have the battery replaced first or have the starter fixed?

i would prefer a car starting silently than a car which struggles and neighs like a horse waking the entire neighborhood.
    may struggling ka ba na nararamdaman while starting?
    if the battery was tested to drop, then its the battery. i don't think it could be connected to the silent starting.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    I own an AE101, A/T.

it could be a dead battery. how old your battery btw?
    yet better bring the car to an electrical shop for proper diagnosis. at rey's electrical(cubao or marikina branch) perhaps.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i would prefer a car starting silently than a car which struggles and neighs like a horse waking the entire neighborhood.
    may struggling ka ba na nararamdaman while starting?
    if the battery was tested to drop, then its the battery. i don't think it could be connected to the silent starting.
    minsan twice kailangan iikot yung key para mag start. thanks sa reply.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    minsan twice kailangan iikot yung key para mag start. thanks sa reply.
    ah ok. its the battery alright. all the while, i thought, isang click lang pero tahimik.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by benchman View Post
    it could be a dead battery. how old your battery btw?
    yet better bring the car to an electrical shop for proper diagnosis. at rey's electrical(cubao or marikina branch) perhaps.
    about two years na sir. sabi nga nila time na rin palitan pero kasi baka pagpinalitan eh starter pala problema at mawalan na ako ng pera pampalit. alam nyo ba kung magkano ang starter at sa mga kung saansaang auto shop pwede na ba or kailangan eh yung mga branded talaga? thanks sa reply sir!

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    about two years na sir. sabi nga nila time na rin palitan pero kasi baka pagpinalitan eh starter pala problema at mawalan na ako ng pera pampalit. alam nyo ba kung magkano ang starter at sa mga kung saansaang auto shop pwede na ba or kailangan eh yung mga branded talaga? thanks sa reply sir!
    2 years for a battery is pretty decent for a replacement age..
    maybe your car needs a tune-up, as well?

bring your car to (another) battery shop.. motolite checks mine for free. battery and alternator/charging system. of course, i go there, ready to buy a battery.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Pwede po ipa repair ang starter kung nagka problem and hindi ka po aabot ng 1,000 kasama na dun bayad sa parts and labor.

I would also replace the battery muna before looking at the starter

Sent from my Asus ZenFone 2 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jodski View Post
    Pwede po ipa repair ang starter kung nagka problem and hindi ka po aabot ng 1,000 kasama na dun bayad sa parts and labor.

I would also replace the battery muna before looking at the starter

pwede naman i repair yan. dunno with the costs, but max na siguro mga 1.5k depende sa sira.
    normally rewinding lang yan, pero experience ko, di rin tumatagal.... matagal na siguro isa hanggang dalawang taon.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    pwede naman i repair yan. dunno with the costs, but max na siguro mga 1.5k depende sa sira.
    normally rewinding lang yan, pero experience ko, di rin tumatagal.... matagal na siguro isa hanggang dalawang taon.
    Depende nga bro sa sira. Yung dating starter na pinagawa ko palit ng carbon brush and linis binayad ko lang 700.

So far naman more than 2 years na buhay pa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Car starts silently