New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2017
    Which car technician should I approach first?

a.) The Car mechanic who can take a look at the pump belts, pulleys, tensioner, power steering pump, and spray some belt conditioner. He might find some slippage, worn/loose stretched belt kasi eh...

or b.) The Car electrician who takes a look at the alternator as the suspect for the noise.

57,000 miles pa lang ang total miles na tinakbo ng Montero namin.

2. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    Yung pulley mismo ng alternator... search mo overruning pulley.. minsan pag sira na yan maingay na

I see dapat din ito ma-inspect thanks!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    What capacitor?

Car alternator have only rectifier diodes in full-wave bridge orientation because the battery itself is already a huge capacitor.

AFAIK newer Monteros have smart Alternator, they charge only "on-demand", this is a new energy saving mechanism (just like what ford did to the variable fuel pumps that is also causing priming problems during long-drain interval).

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Athrunzala View Post
    Do you think a 0.48V reading is just normal level? When you say AC Compressor does the letter AC refer to (AC Volt) or (AC as in Aircon)?
    AC (aircon)

AC to DC..alternating current to direct current

Im not sure about the 0.48V reading..for me its a relatively small value compared to the output of a typical running alternator

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    What capacitor?

Car alternator have only rectifier diodes in full-wave bridge orientation because the battery itself is already a huge capacitor.

AFAIK newer Monteros have smart Alternator, they charge only "on-demand", this is a new energy saving mechanism (just like what ford did to the variable fuel pumps that is also causing priming problems during long-drain interval).
    The one with farad rating dude not volts

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Which car technician should I approach first?

a.) The Car mechanic who can take a look at the pump belts, pulleys, tensioner, power steering pump, and spray some belt conditioner. He might find some slippage, worn/loose stretched belt kasi eh...

or b.) The Car electrician who takes a look at the alternator as the suspect for the noise.

57,000 miles pa lang ang total miles na tinakbo ng Montero namin.
    Have the belts and pulleys checked first. Once these are fixed or found ok then have the alternator checked. It’s not alternator whine that you’re hearing isn’t it?

By the way, ripple voltage measurement will be different with idle(no load, lights off, A/C off) and with electrical load(lights on, A/C on). Ripple voltage will be higher with load compared to idle condition.

CRV Diesel at idle - 120mV on the DHC BT280

CRV Diesel with HL/FL on - 280mV on the DHC BT280

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gls2001 View Post
    Have the belts and pulleys checked first. Once these are fixed or found ok then have the alternator checked. It’s not alternator whine that you’re hearing isn’t it?

By the way, ripple voltage measurement will be different with idle(no load, lights off, A/C off) and with electrical load(lights on, A/C on). Ripple voltage will be higher with load compared to idle condition.

CRV Diesel at idle - 120mV on the DHC BT280

CRV Diesel with HL/FL on - 280mV on the DHC BT280

Since we are both using the DHC BT280 gadget, when did you put on the electric load to get the higher ripple voltage, during the Cranking Test (key blinking) where you start the car (then you switch on the aircon, and lights during this time?) ; or when the screen shows the ripple test?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Since we are both using the DHC BT280 gadget, when did you put on the electric load to get the higher ripple voltage, during the Cranking Test (key blinking) where you start the car (then you switch on the aircon, and lights during this time?) ; or when the screen shows the ripple test?
    Lights were already set to on position, prior cranking test. The DHC BT280 doesn’t have a real time ripple measurement.

9. Join Date
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gls2001 View Post
    The DHC BT280 doesn’t have a real time ripple measurement.

Oo nga eh....

10. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    hey I have been using this one 'Optima Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger'. This helps to keep my battery charge well and uptodate. I don't need to be worried about this. Because I might be able to know about know everything what's going on.

Source: https://autofthings.com/best-battery-tender/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast