New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    try checking the belt too ... a loose or slippery belt may also cause above symptoms

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    How about your RPM while idling? Does it drop significantly as well when you turn on all accessories?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Replaced your battery with a new one. If this happens again, then either your alternator or a connection/grounding issue that is draining your battery.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    have your battery and alternator check.
    even at full load your battery must be at around 13.5v - 13.8v

5. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

The headlights are a big drain, bro.(delta of 1.3V).... From the normal 55/60W,- did you upgrade to 100W or higher? But then again, you said you upgraded it a year ago.

It looks like you need to have your alternator checked...

16.2K:bat:
    I will start with my battery. I'll have it tested black and blue. I upgraded to 100w.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    try checking the belt too ... a loose or slippery belt may also cause above symptoms

Right. Sometimes I hear slipping belt but only sometimes.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbry View Post
    have your battery and alternator check.
    even at full load your battery must be at around 13.5v - 13.8v

Correct. It really points to the alternator.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    How about your RPM while idling? Does it drop significantly as well when you turn on all accessories?

I could not sense any significant drop, bro.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    And so I went to my favorite electrical shop (dyan sa may kanto kanto). After the alternator was disassembled, we noticed that there was nothing wrong. The stator was sanded bright and clean and the alternator was returned to my crosswind. The repairman even disconnected the battery while the headlight and aircon were running to show that the alternator was working.

In the final analysis, there was significant improvement but I'm not yet 100 per cent sure.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    For further tests, I attached my multimeter to the cigarette lighter port so I can monitor the alternator's charging. With the aircon and headlights on at idle, the alternator could not go higher than 12.5 volts, it keeps going down. But when I keep my crosswind travelling, the voltage goes to 13.5 volts and stays there. My test also showed that if the rpm stays at 1k, the alternator can handle all the power requirements adequately. So I consider the alternator's problem solved. I spent just 200 php for the cleaning of the stators contact with the carbon brush. Cleaning came exactly 10 years from the time the car was first bought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast