New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    To all guru's:

Ride: Toyota Crown

Problem: Signal light stops functioning after 30 mins. It functions again the next day just for 30 mins still. Like I'm driving, then maybe after 5 turns using the signal light, on the 6th turn wala na. Sometimes 5th turn wala na. What Im using after is the hazard and hand signal when turning. Its been a month now.
    What I did? Replaced all bulbs. Replaced fuses.
    Still the same problem.
    What's weird is, hazard is functioning properly. Sakit na ng ulo ko kakaisip.

Questions:
    1. Ang hazard at signal light relay ba ay isa lang? The one that clicks "tik-tak"? If its the same, bakit hindi nagloloko ang hazard light? Signal light lang?
    2. Is it possible na grounded or somewhere may open sa wirings ng signal light?
    Binaklas ko na dashboard ko. Trying to follow the wirings. Papunta sa isang malaking bundle ng wirings. Hindi ko kayang i-trace papunta sa signal lights Baka pag binaklas ko ang big bundle of wires magka loko2x na.
    3. Pwede bang ipa rewire ang signal light only? Pero hindi papalitan yun switch?

I don't trust any electrical shops around my place. Dami akong mga kapit bahay that had bad experiences thats why DIY ako.

Any comments/suggestions/advises or anything that could help me, I'd really really appreciate it.

Salamats

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by theshepherd View Post
    To all guru's:

Problem: Signal light stops functioning after 30 mins. It functions again the next day just for 30 mins still. Like I'm driving, then maybe after 5 turns using the signal light, on the 6th turn wala na. Sometimes 5th turn wala na. What Im using after is the hazard and hand signal when turning. Its been a month now.
    Still the same problem.

Questions:
    1. Ang hazard at signal light relay ba ay isa lang? The one that clicks "tik-tak"? If its the same, bakit hindi nagloloko ang hazard light? Signal light lang?
    Binaklas ko na dashboard ko. Trying to follow the wirings. Papunta sa isang malaking bundle ng wirings. Hindi ko kayang i-trace papunta sa signal lights Baka pag binaklas ko ang big bundle of wires magka loko2x na.
    3. Pwede bang ipa rewire ang signal light only? Pero hindi papalitan yun switch?

I don't trust any electrical shops around my place. Dami akong mga kapit bahay that had bad experiences thats why DIY ako.

Any comments/suggestions/advises or anything that could help me, I'd really really appreciate it.

Salamats

what year is your crown? there are two separate flashers, turn signal flasher and hazard flasher. try switching the two first to see if the turn signal works normal with the good known hazard flasher

3. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Ok. So I need to find the other flasher. The green relay that says hazard on top, then smaller fonts below say turn signal and hazard warning on the same relay. Is this the hazard flasher? But why does it say turn signal? Anyway, I'll try to find the other relay. If I could.
    Thanks a lot.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    what year is your crown? there are two separate flashers, turn signal flasher and hazard flasher. try switching the two first to see if the turn signal works normal with the good known hazard flasher
    *jick
    -there is only one flasher relay for turn signal and hazard. I bought a replacement, still the same problem. Which means my original flasher relay is working. What I've noticed tho, when I turn on the hazard it functions normally, (indicator lights blinks normal and relay clicks "tik-tak" at normal speed) but when I turn on the signal lights, I could hear a faint and fast clicking sound inside the flasher relay. No indicator lights, no signal lights.
    Definitely a wiring problem.
    Quick question tho: Is it the connection from the turn signal switch to the relay and fuse?
    Since hazard light is normal, and hazard/signal lights have the same connection down to the bulbs, therefore is has something to do with the turn signal lever switch down to the relay and fuse. Tama ba ako?

Kelangan yata talaga sundan ang wiring from the signal light lever switch-relay-fuse. Maybe somewhere dun may open the wire or grounded. Crap. Naging instant electrician na yata ako.

Anyway, thanks. Kung may ibang suggestions/ideas dyan I welcome it. DIY tayo.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    This is likely a lose contact on the signal switch stalk or its harness connector.

In time, the switch stalk contacts wears down or gets dirty. When that happens, it will cause some arcing and then builds up heat everytime it is used. When that happens, there's a tendency that the contacts would tend to spread further away from each other, causing the blinker to see a high resistance load... hence, the fast "ticking" and little to no light output.

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    check grounding...sa kakatakbo ng sasakyan, natatagtag din ang wirings. baka nagloloose....spray a lot of WD-40 sa mga connectors.

my situation was hazard working, left turn signal working but right turn signal not working or vice versa...

and sometimes the other flashes faster than the other side...i disconnected every connection point checking for right tension and sprayed lubricant....cleaned also rusted bulb seats....

it seems your relays are still ok...other car samin, may hazard lights pero right signal wala....i just checked the grounding (i.e. retightened the bulb assembly to the body). ayun umilaw na. just do the easiest first.

mukhang mahusay pa crown mo boss ah. 5R silver head o black head? yan ba e power windows na model with full accesory?

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    To all guru's:

Still the same problem.

Questions:

Salamats
    1. iisa lang yan. relay ang sira.
    2. kapag me grounded, patay ang baterya mo.
    3. pwede bakit hindi...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    To everyone who replied: Thank you so much for the inputs.

My signal light works fine now. I happen to know somebody who has a cousin that rewires cars. All he did was to jump the wire between the switch and relay, placed a fuse holder, put in a 10A fuse. I didn't really get what he said why he did that cos I was just so relieved to know my signals are back.
    I'll ask him again when I get to catch him.

*miked. yup. It's a 2.0L 5R Silver. Manual windows but full accs.
    I just love big old school sedans. hehe.

Thanks tsikot!

9. Join Date
    Jul 2010

My signal light works fine now. I happen to know somebody who has a cousin that rewires cars. All he did was to jump the wire between the switch and relay, placed a fuse holder, put in a 10A fuse. I didn't really get what he said why he did that cos I was just so relieved to know my signals are back.

Thanks tsikot!
    so cancelled na ang Flasher relay? Its good ok na signal lamps mo...at talagang maparaan ang mga pinoy....

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

Thanks tsikot!
    so, it seems the relay is the defective part? i wonder, why not just change the relay? it's a lot easier to replace a relay than to re-wire..

Anybody who can help on signal light problem...