New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    fellow katsikot i would like to ask for your help...

yesterday i had no choice but to pass through a flooded area. its not that deep but enough to cover my tail pipes (lowered 1.5" 15" mags and 50 series rubber). i had some drinks before i went home and rushed to the flood at around 40kph. my momentum dropped and changed to lower gears. everything was fine after...

the problem started this afternoon when i started my car. some odd loud noise is coming from the engine and i immediately looked for the source. ive isolated the noise from the alternator area. its really noisy and even worst than a cold car warming up. im really suspecting that the noise is coming from the alternator. its like a grinding noise. cant really describe it any better than that. the noise did got a lot more tolerable when i got to my destination but is still a bit noisy.

then tonight, i went home and due to the harsh rain fall, the area was flooded again and this time i switched to 1st gear and rev the at least 3000rpm until i got though the flooded area. as i passed the flooded area, the noise came back worst than this afternoon.

ride: civic 2000 LXi

my question is...
    is this an alternator problem?
    if so, what kind of damage do you think it sustained?
    is it repairable do i need replacement?
    how much can this hold me back?

hoping for your replies before i go to a shop so i can have ideas on the probable cause and money ill need.

thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    if it's charging ok ,14v * idle

that should only be a bearing problem

but still needs to be rebuilt considering that 's been under water

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    its very hard to isolate the problem just by feeling or hearing where the noise is coming from.. better to check the idler and tensioner bearings of the serpentine belts.. also the noise might be coming from the power steering... i had the similar problem with a toyota vios where after it went through the flood, a weird noise started to come out as if there is some metal grinding, it turned out to be the power steering pump causing the noise.. my immediate remedy is to spray some oil on the power steering pump near its pulley and the noise is gone!! although sometimes it will turn back and i just have to spray oil again...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    whew, thats a real relief for me. il consider what you guys said, maybe its not the alternator per say...

interesting point sir yapoy, ill take the car to the shop a see what they diagnose.

thanks so much for the replies!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    update ko lang po yung thread... got it diagnosed and its not an alternator problem.

right on the money po kayo sir yapoy, its the idler and tensioner bearing. follow up lang po na question, ok lang po ba na yung dalawa lang palitan or mas ok na sama na yung timing belt and water pump para isang labor na lang?

civic 2000 LXi
    mileage: 69k kms.

thanks po.

sorry parang OT kasi hindi na alternator yung problem...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    ako po! ako po!. alternator problem yata amin.

help naman

kagabi nga pala pagka start ko ng makina (4d56 diesel adventure) may maingay na squeeking sound kapag inaapakan gas pedal(binuksan ko hood at suspettya ko galing sa alternator) , kapag inaapakan din gas pedal ay lumalakas ang headlight..

hindi naman kami galing sa baha, hindi rin naman umulan kahapon at hindi ko rin pina engine wash.bastabigla na lang lumabas yung squeeking sound na yun.

e nabasa ko nga tong trick (tanggal negative terminal habang naka idle ang makina), ginawa ko kanina umaga, inistart ko engine tapos tinanggal ko negative terminal sa battery, tapos after 30 seconds siguro, AYUN! namatay bigla ang makina.. tapos inistart ko ulit, ayon sa amp meter gauge ko, nakalagay lang sa zero kahit na naka ON ang headlights at radio ko tapos ayon, hindi na nagcha charge ang alternator nasa zero lang..

ano gagawin ko mga sir???? help..

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Chief, better bring your car to a reputable auto electrical shop. Let them check your alternator to find the cause of the failure, like carbon brush, diode, bearings, etc. Hopefully carbon brush lang sana damage sayo, kung ganon, maliit lang naman magagastos mo. Check also your fuse's kung may busted or loose connections. Don't worry, tingin ko hindi naman ganon kalaki problem ng car nyo. Thanks

alternator problem? help!