New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Ask ko lang ilan ba ang charging voltage ng 2011 Innova Diesel? Mine is 13.5 volts lang kahit i-rev up pa yung engine. Nag test din ako sa 1 month old na vios same din ang nakuha ko 13.5 volts. Akala ko lahat ng alternator will have an output of 14+ volts. Ganun ba talaga ang toyota cars? Thanks

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rm View Post
    Ask ko lang ilan ba ang charging voltage ng 2011 Innova Diesel? Mine is 13.5 volts lang kahit i-rev up pa yung engine. Nag test din ako sa 1 month old na vios same din ang nakuha ko 13.5 volts. Akala ko lahat ng alternator will have an output of 14+ volts. Ganun ba talaga ang toyota cars? Thanks
    It all depends on the age and condition of your existing battery. My battery is already 5 yrs. running and observed alternator input to be on the range of 13.4 to 13.7 V without revving. If I charge it with a 12 ampere battery charger for 1.5 hrs. I noticed the alternator charging already reaching 14.0V also without revving.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2rm View Post
    A fully charged battery is 12.6V (2.1V per cell for 6 cells) so 13.5V is good enough for all vehicles because in order to charge a 12V battery all the charger needs to do is to go a tad higher than the required voltage

Charging voltage are regulated so thats why it sticks to 13.5V

Other cars which have smarter battery charging technology like in latest ford cars go higher than 13.5V in order to charge the battery faster as it decouple the alternator to the engine to lighten up the engine load as its engine displacement are lesser than the competition, around 2.2cc. That technique gives the impression that the engine is powerful even at a lesser displacement
    Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; June 5th, 2017 at 05:12 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    baka un lang ang talaga ang output voltages ng alternator mo.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaypee10 View Post
    baka un lang ang talaga ang output voltages ng alternator mo.
    as an aficionado once said,
    based on ordinary shop instruments, the voltages measured are +/- 10%. so, that measured 13.5 V may actually be in reality, anywhere from 12.15 V to up to 14.8 V.

a large charging voltage can result in excessive bubbling and loss of battery fluid, in the long run. this is probably why the maximum voltage is regulated to 13.5 V only.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^thats true excess voltage is dissipated as excess heat, too much heat on a battery is not good as its made with battery fluid.

Fluid subjected to too much heat, evaporates, liquid turn to gas vapor

A battery cell gone dry is a dead battery, essentially an open circuit

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by kisshmet; June 5th, 2017 at 06:42 PM.