New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    is there any disadvantage or advantage (except price) of installing a higher amp alternator to the car, even as the car is totally stock?
    i'm not after the alternator sir, i just want to know if using a battery that has bigger amp than the stock alternator will make the alternator work harder and eventually fails .. Because if that's the case then I will just buy the 60 amps battery rather than the 70 amps ...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    i'm not after the alternator sir, i just want to know if using a battery that has bigger amp than the stock alternator will make the alternator work harder and eventually fails .. Because if that's the case then I will just buy the 60 amps battery rather than the 70 amps ...
    yespo. you made that clear enough above.
    the question is for my benefit, sir. "what (dis)advantage does installing a higher amp alternator have on a totally stock car?"
    anyone...?

as to your battery, i would stick to stock, sir.
    or, if you wish, you can buy a battery on the basis of pesos per month warrantied.
    and, in my opinion, the alternator does only what it can do. nothing more. "you can't make the alternator work too hard as to kill it, by using a bigger battery."
    Last edited by dr. d; April 15th, 2016 at 12:04 AM.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    is there any disadvantage or advantage (except price) of installing a higher amp alternator to the car, even as the car is totally stock?
    Higher amp alternator + stock car = No advantage. Just use stock alternator. Factory already matched that to the electrical load of the car.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    The alternator will provide power to your car electrical load first. Only the excess amps will go to the battery. The alternator will not work any harder if you use bigger amp battery. It will still produce the same amount of amps it is rated to.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    The alternator will provide power to your car electrical load first. Only the excess amps will go to the battery. The alternator will not work any harder if you use bigger amp battery. It will still produce the same amount of amps it is rated to.

i beg to disagree, the battery will first provide the power for your car's electrical load like starting the engine. Once the car's engine starts the alternator takes over the electrical load. If you don't agree try taking out the battery and see if you can start your engine with your alternator first.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by box_type View Post
    i beg to disagree, the battery will first provide the power for your car's electrical load like starting the engine. Once the car's engine starts the alternator takes over the electrical load. If you don't agree try taking out the battery and see if you can start your engine with your alternator first.
    Of course the battery will provide the starting current to crank the engine. How can the alternator provide power when engine is still off. Kailangan pa ba explain yan? What I am discussing in my post is how the alternator charges the battery.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    There is advantage in installing a higher output capacity alternator to the car, specially if the car has a lot of aftermarket additional electrical accessories installed. It will provide you extra available power for consuming.
    Same goes if you'll going to install higher AmpereHour capacity battery.
    It will not be a problem, if your alternator is stock as long as it still produces the correct voltage (14.27 dcv).
    Battery is used during starting, after that alternator takes over, supplying the engine and the battery itself.
    Take note:
    whoever has the higher voltage output takes over the load! Meaning if your alternator has a lower output, battery output will be dominant until discharged.

Dis-advantage of putting higher alternator?
    As long as, it is physically fitted on the original slot...no problem! Otherwise you'll have to cut and file some steel bracket & braces.
    Electrically...none!

sent from my Nokia 3210i

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Stock car kasi ang tanong. So stock alternator is more than enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12