New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Corolla BigBody 1.6 4afe ..

How much amp does my stock alternator produce ?? I'm about to change battery because my current one is almost dead ..

Will I benefit on going 60ah or above battery than a 45ah ??? Usage is City Driving, frequest start & stop, less charging time ..

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    your corolla needs a 70 amp alternator and a 550 CCA battery

3. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    your corolla needs a 70 amp alternator and a 550 CCA battery
    I'm still using the stock original alternator .. How do I know the amp of this stock alternator ??

Lets say this is a 70 amp alternator, should I buy a battery with a lower amp than my alternator ??

Is there any disadvantage of a battery with 90 amp when pair with 70 amp alternator ???

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaremos View Post
    I'm still using the stock original alternator .. How do I know the amp of this stock alternator ??

Lets say this is a 70 amp alternator, should I buy a battery with a lower amp than my alternator ??

Is there any disadvantage of a battery with 90 amp when pair with 70 amp alternator ???
    look closely at the alternator, po.
    maybe the information you seek is pasted on its external surface. you may have to clean it first, so that the lyrics (if indeed there are) may be read-able.

maybe it is on the owner's manual.

errr... why get a bigger capacity battery, po? did the previous battery, give you instances of discharge? kung wala naman, i would suggest you stick to the original battery capacity.

i myself, replaced my original battery with a smaller capacity one, because it was cheaper and lighter.. stock vehicle.. no problems for several years already.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    look closely at the alternator, po.
    maybe the information you seek is pasted on its external surface. you may have to clean it first, so that the lyrics (if indeed there are) may be read-able.

maybe it is on the owner's manual.

errr... why get a bigger capacity battery, po? did the previous battery, give you instances of discharge? kung wala naman, i would suggest you stick to the original battery capacity.

i myself, replaced my original battery with a smaller capacity one, because it was cheaper and lighter.. stock vehicle.. no problems for several years already.
    my current battery is dying .. when travelling out of town, no problems because it has plenty of hours to charge .. but now that I'm back in city driving only, it gets discharge overnight .. I already have it charge a couple of times but still it gets discharge after 1 week or so ..

I was shopping for a panasonic battery 2sm, they have 60 amps for 3,500php; 65 amps for 3,700php & 70amps for 4,000php ...

I just wanna know if this statements is true when it comes to battery .. The bigger amp the better ?? If I get the 70amps battery, will it not damage my 60 or 65 amps alternator ?? I just get the idea that the alternator will not be able to charge the larger amp battery correctly ..

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    my current battery is dying .. when travelling out of town, no problems because it has plenty of hours to charge .. but now that I'm back in city driving only, it gets discharge overnight .. I already have it charge a couple of times but still it gets discharge after 1 week or so ..

I was shopping for a panasonic battery 2sm, they have 60 amps for 3,500php; 65 amps for 3,700php & 70amps for 4,000php ...

I just wanna know if this statements is true when it comes to battery .. The bigger amp the better ?? If I get the 70amps battery, will it not damage my 60 or 65 amps alternator ?? I just get the idea that the alternator will not be able to charge the larger amp battery correctly ..
    well, in this instance, your problem, sir, is that your battery needs to be replaced. it has lost so much of its "plate power" probably due to age and not due to alternator problem.
    all batteries die eventually, po. 2 years is a good ballpark figure.

"champion" by motolite is cheap. 2.5K, and 6 months warranty. Hey! i'm already past 1 year, and still going strong.

btw... it might be a good idea to have them check your alternator brushes, po. they might be worn and need replacement. cheap lang yan, po.

many years ago, when we were young and poor-ish, it would take us a month or two, before we got tired of push-starting the car in the morning, and finally decide to pool our resources and buy a battery. punta kami sa independent assembler, si mang fred. he would assemble our brand new battery, from motolite components, using our old carcass. it was cheaper, too, and battery lasted like factory spec.

use bigger battery? i did the opposite... smaller battery. years na.. i perceive no drop in longevity.
    Last edited by dr. d; April 14th, 2016 at 12:49 AM.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    use this analogy:

picture the alternator as a water pump
    picture the battery as a water tank
    picture a faucet as an electrical load or drain

the bigger the capacity of the water pump, the shorter the filling time
    the bigger the water tank, the longer it is to fill
    the bigger the leak or faucet deliver, the shorter the time it takes to fully drain the tank.

the charging system including the ignition switch, alternator, wiring and the battery were all engineered to handle the electrical loads under extreme conditions assuming the battery is healthy and there are no aftermarket electrical loads added on the system

8. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    well, in this instance, your problem, sir, is that your battery needs to be replaced. it has lost so much of its "plate power" probably due to age and not due to alternator problem.
    all batteries die eventually, po. 2 years is a good ballpark figure.

"champion" by motolite is cheap. 2.5K, and 6 months warranty. Hey! i'm already past 1 year, and still going strong.

btw... it might be a good idea to have them check your alternator brushes, po. they might be worn and need replacement. cheap lang yan, po.

many years ago, when we were young and poor-ish, it would take us a month or two, before we got tired of push-starting the car in the morning, and finally decide to pool our resources and buy a battery. punta kami sa independent assembler, si mang fred. he would assemble our brand new battery, from motolite components, using our old carcass. it was cheaper, too, and battery lasted like factory spec.

use bigger battery? i did the opposite... smaller battery. years na.. i perceive no drop in longevity.
    in your opinion sir, which amp will I buy ?? 60, 65, 70 amps battery ??? all are same size 2sm battery ..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    in your opinion sir, which amp will I buy ?? 60, 65, 70 amps battery ??? all are same size 2sm battery ..
    Compute pesos per amps. Get the best price among the choices.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by red_one View Post
    Compute pesos per amps. Get the best price among the choices.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk
    is there any disadvantage or advantage (except price) of installing a higher amp alternator to the car, even as the car is totally stock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast