New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    52
    #1
    hi,

    What do you think should be the 3 most important gauges for a turbo car? I plan to install it sa A-pillar, so i can only have a maximum of 3 gauges. I actually have a built-in boost gauge sa instrument panel na, pero simple lang at walang psi readings, so I got a new one.

    What I currently have are (based on a friend's recommendation):
    - boost gauge
    - vacuum gauge
    - oil temp

    Recently kasi I read na very very important ang oil pressure gauge sa turbo car, so i got one as well. thing is, up to 3 nga lang dapat. so i have to drop one, what would it be, and where can i install it para nde naman sayang?

    Also, if you have other opinions on what gauge I should install aside from what I currently have please let me know as well. Please don't suggest EGT or Wideband 02 sensor at mejo malayo sa budget ko yun. hehe.

    Thanks!

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk_diggler View Post
    hi,

    What do you think should be the 3 most important gauges for a turbo car? I plan to install it sa A-pillar, so i can only have a maximum of 3 gauges. I actually have a built-in boost gauge sa instrument panel na, pero simple lang at walang psi readings, so I got a new one.

    What I currently have are (based on a friend's recommendation):
    - boost gauge
    - vacuum gauge
    - oil temp

    Recently kasi I read na very very important ang oil pressure gauge sa turbo car, so i got one as well. thing is, up to 3 nga lang dapat. so i have to drop one, what would it be, and where can i install it para nde naman sayang?

    Also, if you have other opinions on what gauge I should install aside from what I currently have please let me know as well. Please don't suggest EGT or Wideband 02 sensor at mejo malayo sa budget ko yun. hehe.

    Thanks!
    -Boost/Vacuum gauge (yes, you don't need two separate gauges)
    -oil temp
    -oil pressure

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk_diggler View Post
    hi,

    What do you think should be the 3 most important gauges for a turbo car? I plan to install it sa A-pillar, so i can only have a maximum of 3 gauges. I actually have a built-in boost gauge sa instrument panel na, pero simple lang at walang psi readings, so I got a new one.

    What I currently have are (based on a friend's recommendation):
    - boost gauge
    - vacuum gauge
    - oil temp

    Recently kasi I read na very very important ang oil pressure gauge sa turbo car, so i got one as well. thing is, up to 3 nga lang dapat. so i have to drop one, what would it be, and where can i install it para nde naman sayang?

    Also, if you have other opinions on what gauge I should install aside from what I currently have please let me know as well. Please don't suggest EGT or Wideband 02 sensor at mejo malayo sa budget ko yun. hehe.

    Thanks!
    -Boost/Vacuum gauge (yes, you don't need two separate gauges)
    -oil temp
    -oil pressure

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #4
    Example:



    Notice the needle is ZERO at the 10'o clock position. If it moves clockwise, it is boost pressure. If it moves counter clockwise from ZERO, it is vacuum pressure.

  5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    52
    #5
    thanks for the quick reply GH!

    engs din pala un friend ko na nagrecommend ng separate vacuum gauge. nadoble pa pala un bili ko. sayang naman.

    i guess pwede pa rin naman ito kabit sa other cars. oh well. is what you said true for all boost gauges? I currently have an auto gauge black face edition. nde ko pa kasi nakakabit so i don't know what it says yet.

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Example:



    Notice the needle is ZERO at the 10'o clock position. If it moves clockwise, it is boost pressure. If it moves counter clockwise from ZERO, it is vacuum pressure.

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk_diggler View Post
    i guess pwede pa rin naman ito kabit sa other cars. oh well. is what you said true for all boost gauges? I currently have an auto gauge black face edition. nde ko pa kasi nakakabit so i don't know what it says yet.

    Thanks!

    No. There are gauges which displays boost pressure only.

    example:

  7. Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    #7
    me ordered 4 gauges:
    1. turbo boost gage
    2. oil temperature gage (electrical)
    3. oil pressure gage (electrical)
    4. vacuum gage

    reason i plan to install a vacuum gage is that i'm toying with the idea of the vacuum gage serving as some sort of "filter minder" at the intake before the turbo. but that would still have to be finalized since i drive another gas engined car. I ordered the cheap CIRCUIT brands via my suking auto supply.

  8. Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    #8
    sir GH, any idea how much is that autometer boost gage?thanks

  9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    reason i plan to install a vacuum gage is that i'm toying with the idea of the vacuum gage serving as some sort of "filter minder" at the intake before the turbo. but that would still have to be finalized since i drive another gas engined car. I ordered the cheap CIRCUIT brands via my suking auto supply.
    Waste of money. Plus you are making a complex build with more potential "fail" points. You would be better of changing air filters at regular intervals.

    Fail points? The vacuum gauge will have a (cheap) long long long plastic hose snaking from the gauge to the point where you will take vacuum. A pin hole leak will make the gauge useless and might even screw-up your air-fuel ratios.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 28th, 2011 at 04:53 PM.

  10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,990
    #10
    well that's strike one...i'm curious on what type of hose did other tsikoteers use on their vacuum gages. iirc, it was on a thread that says something like "fuel economy gage" for gasoline cars. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
3 necessary gauges for turbo