New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    maganda din ha...new look,diff from the rest (locally available) if this price range 1.2M-1.25M it will surely sell...crv has the competetor on this but for 1.575M medyo mahal nga...

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by saipeme View Post
    maganda din ha...new look,diff from the rest (locally available) if this price range 1.2M-1.25M it will surely sell...crv has the competetor on this but for 1.575M medyo mahal nga...
    It it was made in Thailand like the most Japanese cars/SUVs, it could have been priced in the P1.2M area... but of course, its expensive to import a CBU vehicle from the US(+killer RP taxes), but the Caliber is probably the most affordable unique ride out there now on the streets, at least in the RP.

By the way here's the designer Greg Howell talking about the Caliber's styling.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hr8p7kmo_A"]YouTube - 2007 Dodge Caliber, Designer.[/ame]

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    grabe nakakaloko yun picture kala ko suv.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you guys don't like "anemic" you might not like the Caliber :hihihi:

the engine displacement and horsepower rating might be misleading if you're used to Toyota engines...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Its priced high because its CBU from the US. Its for people who want something different. I'd take this over the anemic P2.25M 114hp B170 Benz.
    For practicality, you can always get a Fortuner, Innova, Grandis etc.

I've heard that there are a couple of Dodge Calibers running around makati already, so I guess they found their small niche in the local market.
    Well, for sure the Caliber is more of a niche product than a mainstream one. And it's a refreshing sight having a few of these cars running around in our local streets.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Dodge must be kidding us to price the Caliber at PhP1.5M. This car sells for only MSRP US$15,700 in the US, that's roughly PhP700K .. It's not even at par with Honda Accord 1.8S, Mazda3 2.0L or Ford Focus 2.0L

2007 Dodge Caliber SXT, 2.0L I4, 16 valve, 158 hp * 6400 rpm VAR speed automatic transmission.

I drove a Dodge Caliber for a week in LA last month. I rented from Dollar Rent-A-Car LAX, I was impressed when I saw the car, sporty Orange color .. very catchy .. but everything else is a big disappointment .. The car is not even at par with Honda Civic, Mazda3 or even the new Hyundai Elantra.

1. Not responsive to drive. It is no fun to drive at all .. I was expecting a car that is quick to accelarate and fun to drive just like the new Honda Civic or Mazda3 .. but I was totally disappointed. I had to step on the gas really hard on the gas to accelerate. Somehow, the car chassis felt so heavy for the car despite the 158 hp. It does not do well in tight corners and winding roads either.
    2. Blind spots galore. The dodge car has a blind spots .. hard for me to see out of the back window. Back window could be too small for some people to see out. Somehow, the seating position has to be high seat just like vans inorder to offset the blind spots. I am 5'10" and I still noticed the blind spots .. bad design. Mazda3 hathback, the most similar car to a Caliber does not have blind spots because of its flowing body design and proper position of windows/glass.
    3. Poor quality of plastics used in interiors. Try to tap the surface of the plastic interiors and you will feel that it is really CHEAP. My Fil-AM friend said that the Caliber is intended as an affordable car for high school and college students that's why it has all the cheap interiors. The plastic used in this car is the same as those used in Hyundai Accent sold here in Pinas.
    4. Seats and headrest too rigid. My butt was hurting after a few hours of driving coz the materials used for the seats at just hard maybe due to cheap materials used. I am not sure .. but Japanese car brands have far better seats than Dodge Caliber

I am not sure what's with Dodge. It is not a luxury or premium brand. In the US, the image of Dodge is soo poor that it is considered the car of choice for those who are tight in budget or those who cannot even buy a Kia. I am not joking. In addition, the JD Power rating of Kia Carens/Rhondo and Sportage is even better than Dodge Caliber. So why put a premium on a mediocre .. if not a lemon?

Please do not tell me that it is priced at PhP1.5M because it was built in the US and shipped to Pinas. Coz if I try to add the variables it does not add up .. Try to import the same car and you will only spend about US$ 21,880 or less than PhP1.0M.
    1. US retail price of SXT variant = US$ 15,700
    2. Cost of shipping from the US to Pinas = US$800
    3. Duties and Taxes = US$3,500 (maximum tax based on engine displacement and car invoice value)
    4. VAT (12%) = US$1,880

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by astroboyforte View Post
    Please do not tell me that it is priced at PhP1.5M because it was built in the US and shipped to Pinas. Coz if I try to add the variables it does not add up .. Try to import the same car and you will only spend about US$ 21,880 or less than PhP1.0M.
    1. US retail price of SXT variant = US$ 15,700
    2. Cost of shipping from the US to Pinas = US$800
    3. Duties and Taxes = US$3,500 (maximum tax based on engine displacement and car invoice value)
    4. VAT (12%) = US$1,880
    1. A base Caliber SXT 1.8 M/T in the US costs $16,620. The Caliber SXT sold here has some optional features made standard for the RP spec model, like the 2.0 liter engine, CVT2 transmission, ABS, Premium Sound Group(Boston Acoustics & MusicGate), 6 CD AM/FM MP3 Radio and the final price is $18,985

Based on your formula, final price is $26,079... as far as I know the tax they put on the imported cars are higher than the US$3,500 (estP155,000) you mentioned.
    Last edited by AG4; October 19th, 2007 at 09:48 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Hindi parin worth ang Caliber kahit ilagay pa nila ang magandang sound system(eh ang pangit naman ng quality ng car,mala Chery QQ3 ang plastics....) at kahit lagyan pa nila yan 7 airbags(the Lancer EX GT which is also based on Caliber platform is way better)....Pero may mga willing paring gumastos para rito..

I wonder kung anong magiging presyo ng Jeep Compass rito??

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I saw the ad in the paper, and I thought it looked good.

But I didn't realize it was just a bit larger than a Mazda3 hatchback! for 1.5 million big ones the CRDi Santa Fe offers a lot more capability, with similar safety features, better fuel economy... I could go on and on.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    for 1.5 million big ones the CRDi Santa Fe offers a lot more capability, with similar safety features, better fuel economy... I could go on and on.
    I can say exactly the same thing about the new Mini Cooper, VW New Beetle, Mercedes B170, but the people who buy these cars are the ones who want something different, obviously practicality is not on the top of their list.
    Want Practical? ...get a diesel Starex.

Caliber SXT side view.
    Last edited by AG4; October 20th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
CATS launches the Dodge Caliber 2.0 CVT