New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The difference with the Cooper is that it is actually a luxury vehicle
    The $18,050 Mini Cooper is not a luxury car, its just sold here at luxury car prices(P2M+) by the gray market dealers. $18,050 = around P800K+ just a bit cheaper than the loaded $18,985 Caliber SXT 2.0.
    Its not trying to be in the same league as the Beetle or the Mini, thats why its still a few hundred thousand pesos cheaper here even if they all have similar prices in the US.
    The more affluent buyers are the ones most likely to buy a Caliber as a unique looking affordable(for them) ride to bling.

The Mercedes B170, I think, is a questionable value, but it makes an argument for itself with the added luxury and space of the interior.
    I agree about its questionable value, but the anemic 114hp 1.7 liter P2.25M B170 is far from being luxurious, a Camry 3.5Q could put it to shame..
    Last edited by AG4; October 22nd, 2007 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    ...I agree about its questionable value, but the anemic 114hp 1.7 liter P2.25M B170 is far from being luxurious, a Camry 3.5Q could put it to shame..
    Well, yung name na Mercedes naman still connotes luxury (at least to the general public). Imagine asking someone, "san mo ba gusto sumakay na tsikot, Mercedes, o Toyota (o Chrysler)", siguro sa Mercedes ang pipiliin nila. (maybe ito ang reason why nag create ng Lexus brand ang Toyota). The MINI and the Beetle (as specific cars), and the Mercedes (as a brand) all have stories to tell, and (rightly or wrongly) its the reason why they can command such high price tags.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The $18,050 Mini Cooper is not a luxury car, its just sold here at luxury car prices(P2M+) by the gray market dealers. $18,050 = around P800K+ just a bit cheaper than the loaded $18,985 Caliber SXT 2.0.
    Its not trying to be in the same league as the Beetle or the Mini, thats why its still a few hundred thousand pesos cheaper here even if they all have similar prices in the US.
    you have to compare apples and apples. a loaded Mini Cooper S is in the high $20's...it could be as much as $10k more than a loaded Caliber. so the statement about them being in different classes is accurate.

also, the Mini is a luxury car by many standards. the interior, leather, materials and features are all those of luxury cars, even though it is not of a size typical for luxury cars. maybe other people also think it's a luxury car because of the BMW marque, as well.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Its priced high because its CBU from the US. Its for people who want something different.

I've heard that there are a couple of Dodge Calibers running around makati already, so I guess they found their small niche in the local market.
    Agreed. It's like the PT Cruiser turbo which is considered a sort of a "different" cult car in AZ. So many people wanted to drive something different, now there's so many of them.

Here, the PT Cruiser is sort of a "rebel" car. The Caliber may end up being one as well.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; October 23rd, 2007 at 09:26 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    I just saw a black Dodge Caliber on display at the Shangrila Mall last night. It looked quite good from afar but really small when I tried sitting inside the car. It was nowhere the size of a Santa Fe or a Captiva.

The build and quality of the interior also did not reflect the expensive price tag of P1.575M. Not sure how well it will sell...but people will probably buy it because it's new and something different.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Dito sa dubai it only cost maybe 800K pesos, ung SXT model na un. ang entry nya kasi eh SE model.

Yan sana bibilhin ko kaso ung agent may inoffer na Jeep. Same flatform with caliber pero pang off road. Angas.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
CATS launches the Dodge Caliber 2.0 CVT