New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Still, there has to be some AC 3-phase electric motor manufacturers that can provide me what I need in Pinas, which is what I want.
    Nothing like Philippines to experiment and do it.
    to build an electric sports car, sourcing an electric motor locally is the easiest part

there are a number of companies here dealing in all kinds of electric motors

after sourcing the electric motor, how about all the other stuff?

if you're gonna build an electric sports car at the level of a tesla or a venturi fetish, you gotta have world class parts... which are not available on an underdeveloped group of islands in the Pacific Ocean

anyone here can supply a lithium ion battery array?

trust me, your problem will be logistics

you will have to bring in a lot of parts from abroad
    Last edited by uls; September 7th, 2009 at 06:48 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    anyone here can supply a lithium ion battery array?
    Ano gusto mo? .. Class A or Class B? Dami sa celfone tiange yan!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    nice one sir Ghost!...hahaha..made in china nga lang!

sir Tum, you have such a great idea and ambition trying to build an electric car...if you have all the resources and lots and lots of $$$, you can easily find all the technology you need...what i can say is go ahead! after all the credit will be yours....

OT: just want to share my favorite quote from AEi..
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex and more violent. It takes a touch of Genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction"

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Ano gusto mo? .. Class A or Class B? Dami sa celfone tiange yan!

hahaha

ummm... class A nalang

gagawa tayo ng Tesla equivalent eh

dapat world class

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You'll obviously have to start with the simple stuff... batteries... motors... and then design a chassis around whatever battery you want to use. Lead Acid is the cheapest and easiest, but heaviest... If you want car-specific Nickel batteries, perhaps you could buy secondhand Prius batteries... or replacement packs ($$$$)... then buy the controller unit (this is the hard part to source) from the US.

Expect to spend maybe 500,000 pesos for the US parts alone if you want a "performance" electric. To build an everyday one, like they did on Top Gear Australia, you could probably get away with a complete budget of that much. Spend just 10-20 k on a body shell from something like a blown Kia Pride... cut away the floor, stuff it with batteries and stuff an electric motor where the engine goes.

Mount it to the transmission, remove all the gears you don't need (1st and 2nd are enough...) and you've got an electric car!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd rather use 8 to 10 deep cycle batteries as my power source. They cost around 10K to 12K each.

So thats already P100,000 just for the batteries alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Tesla Motors..