New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Wishful thinking. No, prices of gasoline & diesel will not go down simply because some cars will be powered by electric batteries.

Currently available electric cars (here and abroad) still the basic problem of either they have a short traveling range per charge or costs more than the equivalent petrol/diesel fueled car.

Another major problem is the long charging time for most electric cars. Usually takes hours (or overnight) to get a useful charge level.
    Puwede bang sumabat?
    Battery or storage is the problem with electric cars.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Wishful thinking. No, prices of gasoline & diesel will not go down simply because some cars will be powered by electric batteries.

Currently available electric cars (here and abroad) still the basic problem of either they have a short traveling range per charge or costs more than the equivalent petrol/diesel fueled car.

Another major problem is the long charging time for most electric cars. Usually takes hours (or overnight) to get a useful charge level.
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbaga View Post
    Puwede bang sumabat?
    Battery or storage is the problem with electric cars.
    Addendum:
    I am new here, and my intent is to build my electric car in Pinas, instead of US, what I wanted to do is prove that it can be done in the cheap, and do it right with distance to boot.

With help, I can build it from scratch there for less cost than building it with chassis already on hand in the US.

Watching all the threads here showed me that my people hasn't shaken that "BUYER" consumerist mentality yet, even though creativity in making things exist, people would rather buy than make it themselves.

Computer batteries, Lithium batteries would charge in shorter times, longer lasting but dead earlier than wet-cell, but better than NiCad, lighter too for the same amount of power.

It is fun to make things, like a car to be proud of.

Now, the question, where can I buy electric motors, AC or DC motors right around 150KW to 200KW in Pinas?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think you can PM Ghosthunter about this... he was designing and pricing a hybrid conversion a while back... you can pick his brains about it.

Or you can ask romski... since MDJuan makes the e-Jeepney. He will know which suppliers to point you to for the motor and batteries.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I think you can PM Ghosthunter about this... he was designing and pricing a hybrid conversion a while back... you can pick his brains about it.
    Me thinks my brain has been picked clean already.

Or you can ask romski... since MDJuan makes the e-Jeepney. He will know which suppliers to point you to for the motor and batteries.
    The downside of using the same suppliers as the current e-jeepney is the resulting electric car would have the same limitations as the current e-jeepney.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Now, the question, where can I buy electric motors, AC or DC motors right around 150KW to 200KW in Pinas?
    You planning to make an electric sports car? Those motors would produce between 110 to 150 hp! And since these are electric motors, you will get 100% torque from a standing start. It would be enough to do burn-outs and donuts.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 3rd, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am new here, and my intent is to build my electric car in Pinas, instead of US, what I wanted to do is prove that it can be done in the cheap, and do it right with distance to boot.

With help, I can build it from scratch there for less cost than building it with chassis already on hand in the US.

Watching all the threads here showed me that my people hasn't shaken that "BUYER" consumerist mentality yet, even though creativity in making things exist, people would rather buy than make it themselves.

Computer batteries, Lithium batteries would charge in shorter times, longer lasting but dead earlier than wet-cell, but better than NiCad, lighter too for the same amount of power.

It is fun to make things, like a car to be proud of.

The reason why electric cars are not available (at the car show rooms) in the Philippines is it's not commercially viable. It is too expensive, too small, too limited in range and too slow.

Privately built electric cars is a different thing all together because cost is not as much of a problem as compared to the goal of building your own electric car. Also building it to one's own specifications since you don't have to consider to sell the vehicle to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Some time back I was thinking of developing a hybrid car and the platform of choice I thought of then was the Corolla AE89 because it was a simple platform, lightweight, it's plentiful and cheap to buy.

Adjusting the design to built an electric car, the same car would be recommended. Simply replacing the engine with an electric motor is the oversimplified work needed.

A few other things to consider though. The brake is boosted by the vacuum pressure from the engine. You can get an electric brake vacuum kit for that. Since this car doesn't have power steering, you don't have to bother installing a electrically driven hydraulic system for power steering.

Batteries will be distributed between the front and trunk of the car. Removing all unneeded stuff like exhaust and fuel system will lighten the weight of the car.

Last problem is air-conditioning. The Philippines is a hot country and having A/C in a car is almost a necessity.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...ead.php?t=5527

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Building it is the easy part.

Selling the thing is another matter entirely.

Just ask the guys who are trying to market the REVAi... two or three years on, now, and they're still not market viable...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    The reason why electric cars are not available (at the car show rooms) in the Philippines is it's not commercially viable. It is too expensive, too small, too limited in range and too slow.

I can be viable, homebrew electric cars here in the US proved that it can be cheaply made, it can be big (trucks in fact) better batteries will improve range, and higher KW will make it faster.

Privately built electric cars is a different thing all together because cost is not as much of a problem as compared to the goal of building your own electric car. Also building it to one's own specifications since you don't have to consider to sell the vehicle to every Tom, Dick and Harry.
    You see, years ago, cars do not come to more than 100horses, now it it more than 400horses, in fact 75horse power is average and that seem to be enough then, that is only 55KW, torque transfer is higher with electric motors than fossil fuel vehicles. 150KW will give you 200horsepower, with better torque than gasoline engine, it is a real sports car! http://www.teslamotors.com/ as example.

Even less using diesel. Diesel today has high efficiency, but that was not the way it was with old diesels, and they still exist in Philippine streets. Old Mercedes Benz for example.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You see, years ago, cars do not come to more than 100horses, now it it more than 400horses, in fact 75horse power is average and that seem to be enough then, that is only 55KW, torque transfer is higher with electric motors than fossil fuel vehicles. 150KW will give you 200horsepower, with better torque than gasoline engine, it is a real sports car! http://www.teslamotors.com/ as example.
    I don't know how you'll be connecting the motor to the road but if you do a direct drive system to the wheels (like in-hub motors), 100hp motor will be equal to 100hp on the road.

That is compared to a standard engine rated at 100hp but only transmits around 75hp to the road because of transmission and accessory losses.

Plus the main advantage of an electric motor is the torque. In an engine, torque & hp rises with rpm. But in an electric motor, 100% torque is available from zero rpm. So you don't need a single 200hp electric motor. You can have sports car performance from twin 50 to 70 hp electric motors fitted in the wheel hubs.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
electric powered cars