New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockiee_s View Post

Taxis in HK for more than 10 years have been monopolized by TOYOTA CROWN.

Sorry, but you're Wrong. There is NO Monopoly of TOYOTA CROWN taxis in HK. About a third of the taxis there are Nissan Cedrics, pictured above.

So your beloved chinese car Geely is just an additional new player. The Japanese taxis have Reliability, Cheaper Purchase Price and Parts Availability on their side. It remains to be seen if the HK Taxi operators will switch.

Only about 1,000 of Hong Kong's 18,000 taxis are replaced every year. So it will be a long time until Geely can make a dent....if ever it will.

Your rejoicing is Premature.

i was just quoting the headline of the South China Morning Post, andy.

they used monopoly of Toyota Crown because 99+% of the taxis in hongkong are Toyota Crown. by the way, monopoly is defined as "all or nearly all.....".

so you are wrong. get your facts straight next time.

also, let me clarify....

geely is not my beloved car. it is just a delight to know that a minor player is getting recognized for its worth. my first post was far from rejoicing. being pleased or delighted is more my feelings.

bakit kaya every news on chinese car manufacturers are being slapped with negativism and skeptism. why can't you be happy when someone gets something going?

ito ba yung crab mentality?

i am 100% pinoy. but has been exposed to chinese products because of my work. i am just glad that chinese products (those legitimate) are getting better and better.

should it happen to filipino products, i would for sure be even more delighted!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    i was just quoting the headline of the South China Morning Post, andy.

they used monopoly of Toyota Crown because 99+% of the taxis in hongkong are Toyota Crown. by the way, monopoly is defined as "all or nearly all.....".
    Nope, when you stay in HK long enough, you will observe that there are lots of Nissan Cedric taxis running around.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^Well you can't blame people for the skepticism of Chinese products. For many years they have been considered inferior, cheap, and for the most part copies of products of other countries. From fake iPhones, to fake Rolex's and Lacoste... One can say the Florid is a fake Yaris or the Coolbear is a fake Toyota BB/ Scion Xb (or imitation is the proper word). They have to demonstrate first that they are already world class sadly wala pang major feats ang Chinese makers. As I said if they really want to be recognized then entering the US markets will be the first major step towards recognition. If all you do is sell to 3rd world countries and the homeland with low standards then people will not respect you. Korean cars were also like that but steadily showed their improvement. Chinese cars will have to do the same. There is no rush to get a Chinese car NOW, we can get it LATER they must prove themselves first. There is no TROPHY or REWARD for buying Chinese cars now and prove it to be good, but if its bad you will suffer the consequences. People prefer low risk when buying cars hindi naman ito investment (getting into business, buying financial assets or real estate) na you have to take risk to make money. Buying cars is always a money losing exercise, once nilabas mo sa CASA depreciated na so there is no reason to take risk. In fact in car buying the LOWER THE RISK, the BETTER! My 2 cents and I am sure the 2 cents of everyone who is not convince in getting a Chinese car at this stage. If you add all those 2 cents I am sure aabot ng milyon!

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    bakit kaya every news on chinese car manufacturers are being slapped with negativism and skeptism. why can't you be happy when someone gets something going?

ito ba yung crab mentality?
    I'm not Chinese, so there's no Crab Mentality.

I have seen the workmanship of Lifan, Geely, Chery, Great Wall, Brilliance, Chana and none have reached the acceptable quality level. Maybe in 10 years.

south china morning post is already a very reliable source.

pero para mas makontento ka...here...

Historically, Standard, DeSoto Deluxe, Morris Oxford, Hillman Minx, Austin Cambridge, Mercedes W120 Ponton, and Ford Anglia were used up to the 1960s. Since the 1970s, Japanese cars replaced the various European models used earlier. Among them, the Toyota Crown Comfort YXS10 and Nissan Cedric Y31 had always been the most popular.
    All taxis bear a semi-circular green plate on the front grille, and at the back of the vehicle indicating the number of seats available. Throughout history, most Hong Kong taxis have been 4-door saloons with bench seats in the front, thus allowing it to carry up to 5 passengers (driver excluded). In the early 1980s, 4-passenger taxis were introduced. Smaller saloons such as the Nissan Bluebird 910, Nissan Sunny B12, Toyota Corona (CT141) and the Mitsubishi Lancer were used. However, these were all phased out by mid-1990s. Since then and until 2008, all Hong Kong taxis have been 5-passengers vehicles. But from 2008, the new Toyota Comfort is equipped with floor shift automatic instead of column shift automatic, making the new Comfort a 4-passengers taxi again
    Today, almost all taxis in Hong Kong are Toyota Comfort (YXS10) (over 99%), the minority being Nissan Cedric (Y31) saloons, and Australian Ford Falcon estate cars.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    God created the earth and the universe in 6 days and on the 7th day God rested... the rest is CHINA

ayan ka na naman....crab mentality refers to a kind of personality that pulls down other people, denigrating them rather than letting them get ahead or pursue their dreams. that is regardless of one's nationality.

incorrect ka na naman. 99+%.

tidus, yes, korean and even japanese cars were like the chinese manufacturers back then. then, they improved sa harap din ng mga taong kamukha nyo.

i am sure chinese manufacturers will be like them also.

sa akin, as long as i am happy with my car gawa man yan ng pilipino, instik o hapon, kontento ako.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Maganda at matibay ang London Taxis ha. Nabili na nga nang Geely yan a couple of years ago!Grabe yaman talaga ng Geely!

10. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    In the 90's I am also as critical of Korean cars as I am now with Chinese cars. Pinagtatawanan ko pa nga mga Korean cars like Daewoo Racer, Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Grace, Kia Sportage (1st gen) and many more dati... But they improve and in the end garnered my respect and now I am an owner of Korean car (Hyundai Santa Fe) and its no joke the Santa Fe costs P1.5M its a lot of money... Chinese cars will have do prove their technology and creativity (as Koreans showed with their superb CRDi diesel engines even beating Japanese makes) to make me change my mind. For now, NO TO CHINESE CARS!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Chinese Mainland Carmaker GEELY topples TOYOTA CROWN monopoly of Hong Kong taxis