New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

This is good news again for all fans of Chinese cars/car manufacturers.....

Hong Kong, a 1st world nation and one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world, has just signed a contract with GEELY (yes, the Chinese car manufacturer which bought Volvo for 1.8B US$ last month) to provide more City Taxis.

Taxis in HK for more than 10 years have been monopolized by TOYOTA CROWN.

If Chinese cars (specifically Geely) aren't reliable, I don't think a country as advanced as HK will enter into an agreement with them.

Chinese cars are really coming to age.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST.....MAY 17, 2010

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Reliable? How would they know for sure? Reliability comes in time... Maybe its the price! Its gotta be! Or maybe the communist government force them to buy those cars, HK is Chinese teritory afterall even though its a developed country. Now if we get Chinese cars to be sold in the US para sakin yun ang determination of perceive (perceive pa din kasi nga times makes a car reliable if tjhe car survives 10 years then we know its reliable) reliability. No US market, then its not reliable enough as far as I am concerned...

you think a city which has one of the best urban planning in the world would settle for taxis to run around the city just because of its price? think again. and think harder.

sino nga mga nanalo sa senado dyan sa pilipinas....ah ok....i get the drift.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    That's my opinion learn to respect it! I said price could be one, but it could also be the communist government had a hand on this deal that's why its pushed through. Its not like HK economy is in great shape these days after the 2007 Great Recession, government around the world are also trying to save money.

If you want to risk buying a Chinese car then thats you and your money. I won't! Buying Chinese cars now is like buying Korean in the 80's and 90's. Questionable pa rin, they should first prove themselves worthy and they have yet to prove anything spectacular but to copy Japanese cars flawlessly to the last dot... Walang involvement yet in any major sporting events like rallying or F1... Basta sakin no US market, then not good enough for me.

And by the way, I didn't vote for Bong Revilla and the gang if you are basing my thinking of my Senate picks...

oh, i see. you want me to respect your opinion. sure, i will.

want to let you know that this thread was in relation to an article which came out in the South China Morning Post which i just reverberated. it was also my opinion which you questioned.

and when your opinion was questioned, you shouted for respect.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ^^Which I did, as I said your choice, your money...

What I am countering is the idea na porke HK switches their taxis to Geely from a Toyota automatic reliable na ang Geely and automatic safe to buy na. I disagree completely with that analysis...

i get it the first time you wrote a reply.

and my reply to yours was also in disagreement.

peace and respect!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    rockiee_s,

maybe this has something to do with Geely's joint venture with Manganese Bronze (maker of the London taxi)

by now, i think Geely already controls the London taxi maker and is producing the London taxi in Shanghai

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I forgot which China carmaker pero was it Geely who copied yung Rolls Royce tapos sobrang nainis yung CEO ng Rolls Royce... Or was it someone else?

uls, u are definitely correct!

the design of the London taxis they would have in HK tentatively by middle of next year are of the same design.

they call it a modified London Cab---right hand drive, LPG-fuelled vehicle.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Chinese Mainland Carmaker GEELY topples TOYOTA CROWN monopoly of Hong Kong taxis