New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Yes, I think Chevy should bring it at least some of their aspirational "american" models like Camaro, Corvette, etc. Or even Saab, Opel although they better not price their spare parts too much.

They won't be selling in volumes but maybe they can help improve GM's brand image which I think has gone down TOO MUCH already. Nowadays, my impression is brands like Hyundai and Kia are even much better than GM nowadays.

Sayang, they have nicer newer cars like the Captiva but mere fact that its from GM makes me veer away from it.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    cobalt puwede pa

pero malibu this will cause a lot of stir with the locals

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Why won't the local Chevrolet (General Motors) bring in the Cobalt (compact sedan) to compete with the Civic and Corolla, as well as, bring in the Malibu (mid size sedan) to compete with the Accord and Camry instead of those Korean cars rebadged like the Optra.
    Most if not all current American Chevrolets are designed for the North American market.
    For the global market, mainstream Chevrolet models (usualy the smaller size models) will continue to come from GMDAT of Korea and GM Thailand, but they will soon share the same platform as other GM cars.
    The current Optra and Aveo for example are transitional models (Daewoo to GMDAT), these cars started development before Daewoo became part of GM.

New generation Global Chevrolet models will be based on the Global GM platforms.
    The all-new Captiva for example is the sister model of the European market Opel Antara and the 2nd gen USDM Saturn Vue, these SUVs use the updated GM Theta platform.

According to the latest reports, the next GMDAT model to move to a Global GM platform (GM Delta platform) will be the Optra replacement which will be merged with the next USDM Cobalt.
    Last edited by AG4; February 25th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I test drove the Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged 3 years ago. Acceleration was quite good and a notch above a standard Civic Si. Lots of usable low-end torque.

Build-quality was pretty decent. The Ecotec engine seemed a bit coarse. But, that's probably because I also test drove a number of V6 cars that day. It certainly wasn't a cruddy car like some posters here claimed it to be*.

* Or maybe that was in another forum.... Meh *shrugs*

Add: Too bad Chevy quit making the Cobalt SS Supercharged.... It would've been a good match pricewise/performancewise for the MazdaSpeed 3 even though the Chevy gives up about 63 hp to the Mazda.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; February 25th, 2008 at 05:04 PM.

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ah yes...the Camaro

:drool:

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Forgive my ignorance but the local Chevys here are actually made by what Korean company? Specifically, the Chevrolet Optra?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Its Daewoo....

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Add: Too bad Chevy quit making the Cobalt SS Supercharged.... It would've been a good match pricewise/performancewise for the MazdaSpeed 3 even though the Chevy gives up about 63 hp to the Mazda.
    They replaced it with an even stronger 260hp turbocharged engine for 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Its Daewoo....
    What is? The Optra and Aveo?
    Their platforms were developed at Daewoo's Worthing Technical Centre in the UK.
    Last edited by AG4; February 25th, 2008 at 09:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Before asking why they won't bring real Chevy cars, ask the current and previous owners of rebadged Chevy cars. If the rebadged ones costs 30K++ to 60K++ for a major tune-up and 5-8K for a regular tune-up, how much more would the real ones cost?

It's worth spending that much for my Camry now, or for a BMW if it was what I bought, but for an Optra? Oh c'mon.

After replacing my daily driver Chevy with a Nissan Sentra N16, men was I satisfied. Imagine only spending 1.5K-3.5K on regular tune-ups and 6K max on major tune-ups. Quite a difference.

Pameke yung murang sale price ng mga GM Cars na yan e. Add pa yung free PMS up to 40K. Pagkatapos nung free mo, gapang to the max na yung bulsa mo. So, what more kung magtayo sila ng assembly plant nila dito? Their ROI would be on the negative at start, forcing them to reflect such damages to car prices and parts.

The only thing going for me with my Optra then was the looks. Same I could say with the rest of the lineup that GM has at the moment, but as per performance/quality/reliability, I give my thumbs down. Before ko siya palitan, I thought hindi siya underpowered gawa ng ang ganda ng hatak. Pero nung napalitan ko na with the Sentra na 1.6 din ang makina, found out na it really is (Optra 100km/hr = 3000rpm, Sentra 100km/hr = 2500rpm). Owners would really love to share about that defective CD Changer as well. Just my .02
    Last edited by batang_raon14; February 26th, 2008 at 02:42 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but the local Chevys here are actually made by what Korean company? Specifically, the Chevrolet Optra?
    The local Chevrolet Optra is a Thailand built version of the Korean GMDAT Lacetti.
    Daewoo is now under GM but the Spark, Aveo and Optra are transitional models(Daewoo to GMDAT) that were developed before Daewoo became part of GM.
    The Optra replacement will be merged with the USDM Cobalt and share the updated GM Delta platform with the next Opel Astra.

GM plans to narrow down their platforms. The first to go are the old Daewoo platforms that were developed in the UK by Daewoo's old Worthing Technical Center.
    GM will also add VVT engines to future GMDAT models, the first model to receive the new VVT engine is the facelifted 1.6 liter 2008/09 USDM Aveo5.
    The new engine is 8% more fuel efficient than the old non-VVT ETEC-II 1.6 liter engine.
    Last edited by AG4; February 26th, 2008 at 04:02 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Why won't local Chevy bring in real Chevy cars?