The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    well, the Prius is available locally

you can buy that

you planning?
    The Prius is 2.2M+. It would be cheaper for me to buy a Jazz and pay for the gas for 7 year (which would come out roughly as 1.3m)

As I said, it has to be affordable. Prices of these cars shouldn't be so high as technology of electric motors and batteries have been with us for years.

I think one of the item pointed out is the chore of charging the car. Kung cellphones natin na lo-low bat dahil nakakalimutan natin mag charge, yun kotse pa kaya.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^^^^^

see?

it's not yet time

pinilit

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    wait some more years

let them do their R&D to improve battey technology, increase mileage per charge, bring down cost of batteries

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The regular Prius is 2.2m. The Prius C, which is Jazz equivalent is 1.475m.

But the thing is, both Prii also use gasoline, so that seven years will stretch further on... about 10-15 years, because you have to factor in the cost to fuel up the Prius.

Jazz vs Prius C, price difference is just 100,000 kms worth of gasoline (10 km/l, 10,000 liters at 65 php per liter average over the next several years). In said 100,000 kms, the Prius would use 5,000 liters of gasoline (at 20 km/l), which would fuel the Jazz another 50,000 kms.

The series converges at around 200,000+ kilometers, where the Prius C finally breaks even, with twice the fuel economy of the Jazz. That's 10 to 20 years at between 10,000 to 20,000 kilometers per year. In that time, you will eventually have to replace the battery pack of the Prius C.

The Volt uses electricity, mostly, so you can get away with paying less than a peso per kilometer, but electricity still costs money. Maybe I'll do an ROI series on it in a bit, but the graphs will be tricky.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^^^^

see?

it's not yet time

pinilit
    If we would still be thinking this way, its time will never come. Some of these items should be easily addressed. I would believe that the price right now is dictated by the lack of demand. If we could increase demand, the price should go down. How to increase the demand is to listen to what the consumer wants and needs.

I know its easily said than done but to shut the door on the technology now is a death knell in its future. The time is now and more work has to be done.

Nissan Leaf did one better. They are selling a lot in different countries and selling good. Operating costs is a lot cheaper and range is better. Cheaper than the Volt though, it is still a bit expensive than an ordinary car and the payback is around 7 years.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    If we could increase demand, the price should go down
    so why don't you be the "demand"

go buy an EV/hybrid

ayaw mo diba? you just posted your reason

It would be cheaper for me to buy a Jazz and pay for the gas for 7 year
    mga EV advocates gusto ibang tao bumili ng EV. they themselves wont buy

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so why don't you be the "demand"

go buy an EV/hybrid

ayaw mo diba? you just posted your reason

mga EV advocates gusto ibang tao bumili ng EV. they themselves wont buy
    If I have the money, I would. If I could afford a BMW or and Audi or a Merc or worse, a Hummer, I would buy this car instead. But I can't. Dinidiinan mo ba ako dahil wala akong pera?

EV advocate want other people with the capacity to buy so that the market will be ripe for product like these and that the the masses would be able to afford this. However, we just cant choose for them what they would buy. We just hope na may social responsibility sila to do the right thing.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    If I have the money, I would. If I could afford a BMW or and Audi or a Merc or worse, a Hummer, I would buy this car instead. But I can't. Dinidiinan mo ba ako dahil wala akong pera?
    hinde po. it's called practicing what you preach po. so you'll buy an EV if you can afford one. good. case closed

EV advocate want other people with the capacity to buy so that the market will be ripe for product like these and that the the masses would be able to afford this. However, we just cant choose for them what they would buy. We just hope na may social responsibility sila to do the right thing.
    well it's a good thing EV-advocates/environmentalists cannot force people to buy EVs

if they did it would be a scary scary world

sadly there are environmentalists in power. they can come up with regulations to force their ideology on everyone

they can raise taxes on gasoline & diesel vehicles 200% or something... make petroleum-powered cars so expensive forcing car buyers to buy EVs (and make environmentalists jump for joy)
    Last edited by uls; March 5th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hinde po. it's called practicing what you preach po. so you'll buy an EV if you can afford one. good. case closed

well it's a good thing EV-advocates/environmentalists cannot force people to buy EVs

if they did it would be a scary scary world

sadly there are environmentalists in power. they can come up with regulations to force their ideology on everyone

they can raise taxes on gasoline & diesel vehicles 200% or something... make petroleum-powered cars so expensive forcing car buyers to buy EVs (and make environmentalists jump for joy)
    Don't you think its been the other way around for years? Oil advocates in power refusing to have alternative fuel power our cars forcing car buyers to buy gas powered cars and make oil producing nations and brokers jump for joy?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mguy View Post
    Don't you think its been the other way around for years? Oil advocates in power refusing to have alternative fuel power our cars forcing car buyers to buy gas powered cars and make oil producing nations and brokers jump for joy?
    that's getting into the area of conspiracy theorists -- oil companies suppressing alternative energy

there's a tsikot member who will love to take your side

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
"GM Halts Chevy Volt Production Because Sales Suck"