New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I saw a lining of rust color starting to build on the elbow of the exhaust under the car....
    whats the best solution for this...how do we treat this....spray wd40 then paint it SILVER??

my captiva is only a week old....any captiva owners experience this too???

can anyone recommend a brand name for an anti rust and paint??

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi there Springbok,

I have been a Captiva owner for the last 10 months, can you let me know what model of Captiva you own? The diesel and petrol models have different exhaust systems, mine's a diesel.

Cheers!

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewABK View Post
    Hi there Springbok,

I have been a Captiva owner for the last 10 months, can you let me know what model of Captiva you own? The diesel and petrol models have different exhaust systems, mine's a diesel.

Cheers!
    sir how's the performance of your diesel captiva the pros and cons?...the promo are so tempting. i am looking for another car, i prefer a diesel suv and captiva is on my list...feedback pls, tia...

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by springbok View Post
    I saw a lining of rust color starting to build on the elbow of the exhaust under the car....
    whats the best solution for this...how do we treat this....spray wd40 then paint it SILVER??

my captiva is only a week old....any captiva owners experience this too???

can anyone recommend a brand name for an anti rust and paint??
    Go to any Hardware. Buy the RED anti-rust Primer. Paint it and cover with silver Pylox spray. WD40 would repel paint.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi Saipeme,

Well here's the report I made 10 months ago when I just brought the Captiva in a forum back in Malaysia. Since then, the fuel consumption have gone down from 11.4L/100KM to 10.2L/100KM. But I'm not sure about the grade of diesel you guys are using in the Philippines, in Malaysia we are using a very low grade diesel... maybe like Euro 1.5 or something.

1) Power - the 320Nm torque is good enough for me, much more pick-up then my old CR-V, great for city driving.

2) On the Highway - smooth & comfortable. At the moment the car is still new so I've only gone up to about 140km/h (when the condition is right), quite effortless really, and my passengers are happy and they don't even knew that they were going that fast.

3) On bad roads - Not that good as compared to CR-V. It's a bit bumpy and do not absorbed the roughness well.

4) Diesel issue- It was my biggest concern at first, our diesel is Euro 2, whereas the engine was designed for Euro 4. But after reading and doing some research, I realised that many other cars here faces the same dilemma, and what they do is just take extra care in the maintenance - like changing the fuel filter regularly, service the fuel injectors once in a while, add in fuel additive. My neighbour owns a Rexton, he's happy with it. But I've also seen some Rexton spewing thick black smoke every time they accelerate, I guess these guys just don't give a damn.

Okay, I must admit I like the car at first sight. I'm also an optimist, because I believe that the Malaysian diesel had to be upgraded in time. I've heard rumours that after the election, the diesel will be upgraded, the question is it going to be Euro 3 or Euro 4. Plus I also heard that the diesel in Malaysia will be mix with Biodiesel soon about 2%, therefore it will be call B2 Diesel, which will help in lubricating the diesel engine better.

5) Engine noise - at the moment, yes it's noisy on the outside, but I spend most of the time in the car, so it's perfectly fine inside.

6) Exhaust smoke - sometime in cold mornings and going up hills, some white smoke do appear.

7) Long term - Chevrolet people told me that they will be doing their best to make sure the diesel Captiva will be trouble free.1000KM per service vs CR-V 5000KM is good for the wallet.

8) Fuel consumption - let me make it simple - my old CR-V - RM100 Petrol=400KM. The Captiva - RM100 Diesel=600KM. That's 50% saving! And I haven't brought it to the highway yet! I will see how it goes during my drive up to Penang this CNY.

9) Equipment - Arm to the teeth. As far as I know, the new CR-V don't even have 50% of the stuff I have in the Captiva (only the AWD Diesel model yah) Auto headlights & wipers, ESP, Anti Roll, 8 speakers, 7 seats (all leather), power seat (for driver), Anti Pollution Air-con system, rear fog light (comes in handy during heavy rain, so people don't whack your rear), MP3 pluck in, electronic compass, last row air-con, hill decent... the list goes on.

Cheers!

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewABK View Post
    Hi Saipeme,

Well here's the report I made 10 months ago when I just brought the Captiva in a forum back in Malaysia. Since then, the fuel consumption have gone down from 11.4L/100KM to 10.2L/100KM. But I'm not sure about the grade of diesel you guys are using in the Philippines, in Malaysia we are using a very low grade diesel... maybe like Euro 1.5 or something.

1) Power - the 320Nm torque is good enough for me, much more pick-up then my old CR-V, great for city driving.

2) On the Highway - smooth & comfortable. At the moment the car is still new so I've only gone up to about 140km/h (when the condition is right), quite effortless really, and my passengers are happy and they don't even knew that they were going that fast.

3) On bad roads - Not that good as compared to CR-V. It's a bit bumpy and do not absorbed the roughness well.

4) Diesel issue- It was my biggest concern at first, our diesel is Euro 2, whereas the engine was designed for Euro 4. But after reading and doing some research, I realised that many other cars here faces the same dilemma, and what they do is just take extra care in the maintenance - like changing the fuel filter regularly, service the fuel injectors once in a while, add in fuel additive. My neighbour owns a Rexton, he's happy with it. But I've also seen some Rexton spewing thick black smoke every time they accelerate, I guess these guys just don't give a damn.

Okay, I must admit I like the car at first sight. I'm also an optimist, because I believe that the Malaysian diesel had to be upgraded in time. I've heard rumours that after the election, the diesel will be upgraded, the question is it going to be Euro 3 or Euro 4. Plus I also heard that the diesel in Malaysia will be mix with Biodiesel soon about 2%, therefore it will be call B2 Diesel, which will help in lubricating the diesel engine better.

5) Engine noise - at the moment, yes it's noisy on the outside, but I spend most of the time in the car, so it's perfectly fine inside.

6) Exhaust smoke - sometime in cold mornings and going up hills, some white smoke do appear.

7) Long term - Chevrolet people told me that they will be doing their best to make sure the diesel Captiva will be trouble free.1000KM per service vs CR-V 5000KM is good for the wallet.

8) Fuel consumption - let me make it simple - my old CR-V - RM100 Petrol=400KM. The Captiva - RM100 Diesel=600KM. That's 50% saving! And I haven't brought it to the highway yet! I will see how it goes during my drive up to Penang this CNY.

9) Equipment - Arm to the teeth. As far as I know, the new CR-V don't even have 50% of the stuff I have in the Captiva (only the AWD Diesel model yah) Auto headlights & wipers, ESP, Anti Roll, 8 speakers, 7 seats (all leather), power seat (for driver), Anti Pollution Air-con system, rear fog light (comes in handy during heavy rain, so people don't whack your rear), MP3 pluck in, electronic compass, last row air-con, hill decent... the list goes on.

Cheers!
    your assesstment are very convincing ,you have good features of captiva there, ours here are less features than yours but anyway i don't need an AWD coz i live in a city no plan to go offroad and most of the time its my wifey and soon my kids na din will use it coz i work overseas.the 4X2 diesel here are with leather seats (5 seats), leather trim and foglamps for free as a promo. just 6 speakers,no esp,no power seat,no electronic compass but it has 2nd row aircon....one thing i like the captiva specs here is the rear can adapt like a bed when 2nd row folded flat...good for long trips....
    Last edited by saipeme; November 6th, 2008 at 09:47 PM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Hi Saipeme,

Well, I'm a happy Captivian! If you want to know more? Just go to www captivians com.

Check it out. There's about 50 of us Captiva owners who have been captivated by this beautiful machine. All the info you may want to know should be available there, and you can even join the forum if you want.

Cheers!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    i have a diesel 2008 captiva,, ive just noticed rust near the arm of the exhaust also some bolts underneath. please check your unit it seems this is a problem for the captiva.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    please check your captiva i saw this near my exhaust!!!

ok whats the solution for this??????

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah. That's just surface rust. Those are just the joins for the exhaust... solid iron. They won't rust through. Nothing to be worried about.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
chevrolet captiva owners ???