New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    any comments sa mutual fund? paano ba proseso nito? would it be a problem if im just only 24 yrs old? and max amount i can invest is only 100k, is this a good move?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you apply sa bank o sa mutual fund carrier company.
    there would be no problem for your age.
    for 100k, i would suggest not putting all the eggs in one basket, it is still an investment. try just to put around 60-70% of it and put the rest in time deposit or treasury bills.

note that the proceeds can be withdrawn anytime, kaya lang magbabayad ka ng management fee which may lead to loss kung i withdraw mo sya within the first year.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    is mutual fund and time deposit totally different? as of this time i don't have any plans to withdraw this investment if ill invest for that mutual fund, can you suggest any bank? if i may ask, have you tried this investment?

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    try PNB, they have what they call, PNB high dividend fund. We had some funds available after our HS reunion and we invested it here last October. We had around 32K and we got 29,512.67 units, the NAVPU on purchase was at 1.084280.

as of Dec. 4, it's now at 1.163717, so our investment is now worth Php34,344.40 or around 7.33% in 2 months, that's more than 40% per annum.
    Last edited by _Qwerty_; December 12th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    is mutual fund and time deposit totally different? as of this time i don't have any plans to withdraw this investment if ill invest for that mutual fund, can you suggest any bank? if i may ask, have you tried this investment?
    yes, they are totally different. mutual fund is a pooled fund from different investors that the fund manager uses to invest in blue chip stocks, forex, treasury bills and anything that produces high yields.

time deposits are internal individual accounts that the bank invests in their own liking.

the difference is that the first, returns are not guaranteed (e.g. from a range of 8% - 12% PA), whereas the time deposit is guaranteed (i think the maximum yield these days is 1-2% PA).
    yes, i've tried, but of a different route. a life insurance with its own mutual fund.. in fact, i've posted in a separate thread here that after a year, the value of my investment grew to 20%.(started 100k, after a year, value is already 120k).

BDO is one of the most reputable fund managers for MFs.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    try PNB, they have what they call, PNB high dividend fund. We had some funds available after our HS reunion and we invested it here last October. We had around 32K and we got 29,512.67 units, the NAVPU on purchase was at 1.084280.

as of Dec. 4, it's now at 1.163717, so our investment is now worth Php34,344.40 or around 7.33% in 2 months, that's more than 40% per annum.
    for PNB your investment grew a lot, 7.33% sounds really good. i read another thread here that his interest is only at 0.93% per month, so i can start MF for only 30k?

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    yes, they are totally different. mutual fund is a pooled fund from different investors that the fund manager uses to invest in blue chip stocks, forex, treasury bills and anything that produces high yields.

time deposits are internal individual accounts that the bank invests in their own liking.

the difference is that the first, returns are not guaranteed (e.g. from a range of 8% - 12% PA), whereas the time deposit is guaranteed (i think the maximum yield these days is 1-2% PA).
    yes, i've tried, but of a different route. a life insurance with its own mutual fund.. in fact, i've posted in a separate thread here that after a year, the value of my investment grew to 20%.(started 100k, after a year, value is already 120k).

BDO is one of the most reputable fund managers for MFs.
    life insurance? that's what my uncle told me, since im still young, i can start investing for that. Manulife already offered me and show her proposal, honestly its really interesting. i can have my money when i got 60 but it depends on the plan i will choose.
    is there any assurance or money back guarantee in MFs? or are there factors that can affect my investment? or it is all or nothing?

on hand i already have 100k, i can stretch up to 150k.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    it depends on the NAVPU, sometimes it can go up.. but there is also a risk that it can go down.. checking it today, the value is 1.177922, so our investment is now Php34,763.62. you can check the rates and history here NAVPU for the Day

Quote Originally Posted by d'flash View Post
    for PNB your investment grew a lot, 7.33% sounds really good. i read another thread here that his interest is only at 0.93% per month, so i can start MF for only 30k?

life insurance? that's what my uncle told me, since im still young, i can start investing for that. Manulife already offered me and show her proposal, honestly its really interesting. i can have my money when i got 60 but it depends on the plan i will choose.
    is there any assurance or money back guarantee in MFs? or are there factors that can affect my investment? or it is all or nothing?

on hand i already have 100k, i can stretch up to 150k.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ako meron. mutual funds are 3 types. there is the equity fund where the funds are invested purely in stocks. bond funds are invested in bonds and government securities. balanced funds are invested both in stocks and bonds. also depending on your preference the fund manager can invest your funds in either high risk (emerging markets) or low risk (blue chips) stocks. i have both the balanced fund and equity fund with sunlife.

historically sunlife has returned as high as 60% per year on their balanced fund. the top performer last year among the big players was bpi mutual, which returned 65%. there is also philam mutual which i think was the top performer 3 years ago, returning as high as 67% if my memory serves me right. there are other smaller mutual fund companies in the philippines that have had higher returns, but the risks are greater.

startting investment for most funds is P10,000, and minimum additional is P5,000. you can add as many times as you want. another thing you need to consider is if you will keep your money invested there for a long time or short time only. since you are only 24 years old you might elect to keep your money there for a long time, and therefore i suggest you have a "back-ended" account. a back-ended account will have the management fees taken out when you withdraw from the fund. most have will have decreasing management fees, with the fees going to zero after 5 years. for a front-ended account the fees are charged when you invest the money. the percentage is less but then you pay up front, whereas on the back-ended account you don't pay anything if you keep it for 5 years or so.

you can withdraw your money anytime. it takes them about 3 working days to deposit it in your bank account.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    it depends on the NAVPU, sometimes it can go up.. but there is also a risk that it can go down.. checking it today, the value is 1.177922, so our investment is now Php34,763.62. you can check the rates and history here NAVPU for the Day
    im interested to invest my 30k for PNB High Dividend Fund, is there any charges/payment upon applying for this?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    for those funds with insurance, i used to have one of those before (sun solution 5). you are actually paying for insurance premiums and investing in mutual funds at the same time. THE YIELDS ARE SMALLER BECAUSE YOU ARE ALSO PAYING FOR INSURANCE PREMIUMS! if you are single and do not need insurance then stay away from this. even if you have already paid all the premiums you will still be earning less since the insurance eats up most of the yields of your investment. these funds (example, sunlife and manu life insurance) only yield around 8-13% per year, compared to the 60+% that a mutual fund with Sunlife, BPI or Philam will yield.

remember that insurance is only for those who need it. if you do not need insurance then why pay?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast