New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Depends if you actually pursue a first job (and eventually a career) that's highly related to what you studied.

Obviously not everything that's taught in classrooms will apply in the workplace, but you should be smart enough to know which skill/s to acquire or focus on while at school that will help you once working.

And yes, focus on studying something that you actually have a level of passion with, otherwise things will always be less interesting.

Anyway, my guess for start-up salaries range from 8k-14k (still taxable) for the regular, average, college graduate - middle class guy. In you're case you'd probably land a job that's higher paying than that. If you're good at what you're doing, it will pay off if you're in the right place.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Nope! Hanggang 1st year 1st sem lang inabot ko kasi na recruit kaagad ako sa trabaho and walang kinalaman kinuha kung course sa work ko.
    Yung bestfriend ko naman ay Philosophy kinuha sa UST and meron pa syang masters sa UP pero walng kinalaman work nya ngayon a course nya.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyeatworld View Post
    walang kwenta college dito, it will not help you land a good job.

if you do well in college, then prepare to be enslaved kasi yan ang gusto ng fortune companies, pag high grades ka, utusan ka
    This is so not true. Actually one of the most important factors that will land you a good job is from WHERE you graduated. Kahit masakit tanggapin, this is the truth.

And also, if you work for a company, enslaved ka naman talaga. Kahit na manager ka na, hanggat di ikaw may ari ng company where you are working from, you will always just be an employee. =)

Anyway the point of having specific courses during college is to prepare you initially for what you want to be. (eg doctor, etc). You can choose other paths naman if you want, pero it's a big plus kung related yung course mo sa work mo.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    well for the first, no. because a med student would take a decade at least to see real money coming in. in most cases they see wealth at the age of 40 or if your really really good as young as 35. even after becoming doctors, they still have to get money from their parents for specialization, tools of the trade, etc. BUT they do not have an age limit. so for some they tend to go GP first to get money then specialize if they think they need it.

it depends, if your passion does not include specialize studies in BS math, medical, law, etc then yes. but in your case, i think its a specialize course but i dont know anything about eng so i really cant say.

as they say aim for the stars so if you fall, you'll end up at the moon.

maybe our resident engineers can answer your question better.
    Actually, ME and CoE aren't 'real' engineering courses, because we don't take the board. ME especially, since it doesn't even have engineering subjects (Operations Research is probably the nearest). CoE has real Eng'g subjects though, and in the Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE) of UP, CoE is regarded higher than ECE, or so says a friend of mine in ECE also wishing to shift to CoE.

Anyway, yes it's quite unfair to compare a 4-year undergrad course to Med. Though IntarMed finishes in 7 years, a couple years shorter than if you took an undergrad then went to Med school. For a more apples-to-apples comparison, say both a Lit grad and a Management grad are looking for jobs. Is it safe to say that they have equal chances? In our campus, there are clearly distinctions as to the better courses. Mas mataas talaga tingin sa ibang course. I'm not so sure if it translates to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by kotiko View Post
    And yes, focus on studying something that you actually have a level of passion with, otherwise things will always be less interesting.

Anyway, my guess for start-up salaries range from 8k-14k (still taxable) for the regular, average, college graduate - middle class guy. In you're case you'd probably land a job that's higher paying than that. If you're good at what you're doing, it will pay off if you're in the right place.
    I've heard of ME grads landing 80k as their starting. But these are rare cases of course. If I'm not mistaken, 15-30k is the average starting for ME grads. Or maybe this was just one of those sales talk shizz the Dean gave when we were enrolling. Nonetheless, I fear that I might land somewhere doing something I'm not good at because I don't even like my course intrinsically.

Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    Nope! Hanggang 1st year 1st sem lang inabot ko kasi na recruit kaagad ako sa trabaho and walang kinalaman kinuha kung course sa work ko.
    Would it be alright to ask what job you started in? I'm sort of thinking this is a rare case, because if college was not a necessity as in your circumstance, then why do people give it so much importance?

Quote Originally Posted by francism171 View Post
    This is so not true. Actually one of the most important factors that will land you a good job is from WHERE you graduated. Kahit masakit tanggapin, this is the truth.

And also, if you work for a company, enslaved ka naman talaga. Kahit na manager ka na, hanggat di ikaw may ari ng company where you are working from, you will always just be an employee. =)
    I agree more with this. I mean, UP, Ateneo and La Salle wouldn't be renowned if they didn't have an edge, right?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    *jut703. Your dreams are built from science and math. You don't like math but like engineering? Building/designing a processor requires you to be heavy on the math stuff. If you love math, all the glory of binary logic, elementary differential equations, the scores of higher calculus and advance geometry plus if you enjoy drafting, designing in CAD, modeling, etc. then perhaps you should take up engineering.

College is supposed to build your foundation. The rest you learn after.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonski View Post
    Yung bestfriend ko naman ay Philosophy kinuha sa UST and meron pa syang masters sa UP pero walng kinalaman work nya ngayon a course nya.
    This is true. But the basic foundations should be there. Otherwise the proper skills will be dreadfully lacking.

I've had non-engineering graduates of computer science (parang STI/AMA nuon mga 15 years ago walang engineering foundation subjects.) and computer engineers who do not understand analytical troubleshooting and who can barely write technical reports (which are basic subjects in engineering colleges). They performed so bad.

Basics are basics. Technical people should have math, technical writing, decision science, etc. Management people should have management skills. etc. They could learn it in college or self-taught (these are rare. matalino lang kaya gumanito for technical skills. these people go far in the field).

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    One, I don't like math. Well, Com Engg has lots of Math too, but the engineering aspect is more interesting than the business aspect of it.

The course that I've been thinking of shifting to is Computer Engineering in UPD. .. . . .

One of my dream jobs is to make the next big processor for Intel/AMD, just like how a small team in Israel made the P6-Pentium M architecture that was fundamentally much better than the NetBurst architecture that the big guys at Intel Oregon screwed up. Of course this is wishful thinking. But I do enjoy anything that involves computers. In fact the only ME major I've enjoyed was a subject involving VBA programming in Excel.

How can you separate Math from Engineering? All the sciences and their applications revolve around Math....

Now, you want chip design. Or maybe just layout?....

11.1K:transform:

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My answer to this thread is absolutely! Comp. Sci. Grad. then did a self a study on Accounting and Business Management and paired it with my background on Operations Research.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    In college, what you learn inside the classroom is just as important as the things you learn outside it.

Your degree can only get you so far. Given that some degrees allow you to start higher up in the ladder, but it is only a way to get your foot in the door.

Good grades from a known school will get you hired, but how fast you rise up through the ranks is determined by a lot of intangibles. People skills, networking, how you handle office politics has a lot of impact. These you can learn while suffering through your subjects.

And about getting paid for doing something you don't enjoy? That's what hobbies are for...

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I am a CPA - not by my choice - rather twas my father's choice, since I was 3rd yr Chem Engg na, but he really wanted me to be a CPA like my siblings. What was taught in school was rudimentary (say Accounting taught in school versus Bank accounting are alien to one another - trading/manufacturing concerns - versus - real world banking application). Basics were there though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Does Your College Course Actually Help Siginificantly in Starting Your Career?